SASS Wire Forum

A suggestion for Ruger for Marlin

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tennessee williams said:

Wouldn't that be illegal? SBR

I don’t think so if I am buying the receiver separately, like making a Mare”s leg. I am thinking it would be considered a pistol. 

2 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Feel free to indulge in your fantasy;)

Thanks, that’s the better answer than your previous post, more positive!  I knew you had it in you!  

I want Ruger to get the Marlin 1917 Machine Gun (product improved Potato Digger) back into production!

Also, remake the Marlin Model 62 so it could feed from 30 Carbine mags.  When I get a 30 Carbine Blackhawk it needs a non-semiauto compadre.

However, any support for Marlin 22's is gone.  Ruger bought Marlin to finally kill off any domestic competition to the 10-22.

8 hours ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

Thanks, that’s the better answer than your previous post, more positive!  I knew you had it in you!  

If you actually would read and then realize that folks are allowed to have and express their differing opinions, you would have made you statement in the first place...perhaps that's something that you need to have "in you".

;)

2 hours ago, The Aggie Rifleman, SASS#55213 said:

However, any support for Marlin 22's is gone.  Ruger bought Marlin to finally kill off any domestic competition to the 10-22.

The last report is that the Marlin .22 will be back into production in the near future. People like variety and if you own two winning designs, why stop production?

36 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

If you actually would read and then realize that folks are allowed to have and express their differing opinions, you would have made you statement in the first place...perhaps that's something that you need to have "in you".

;)

You do but you don’t say you wouldn’t do it, you just put down that one who disagrees!  We have had this discussion before and both our posts “disappear”. So as this one will probably disappear as well I will tell you what my Mom use to say to me, if you can’t say something nice, then don’t say anything at all, and yes you do have a right to express yourself and you also have the right to the tone and words you use!  So be nice and don’t be nasty. And read this quick because the moderator will take it down soon. 

2 minutes ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

You do but you don’t say you wouldn’t do it, you just put down that one who disagrees!  We have had this discussion before and both our posts “disappear”. So as this one will probably disappear as well I will tell you what my Mom use to say to me, if you can’t say something nice, then don’t say anything at all, and yes you do have a right to express yourself and you also have the right to the tone and words you use!  So be nice and don’t be nasty. And read this quick because the moderator will take it down soon. 

Stop trying to have folks respond only in your way...

And it's silly to think that folks should only say "Nice" things...I suppose you don't believe in calling a Spade a Spade...if you honestly believe that it's a Spade.

Good Lord...say what's on your mind so long as you don't attack someone personally. Don't be afraid of being bold in your expression of a differing opinion. 

Phantom

3 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Stop trying to have folks respond only in your way...

And it's silly to think that folks should only say "Nice" things...I suppose you don't believe in calling a Spade a Spade...if you honestly believe that it's a Spade.

Good Lord...say what's on your mind so long as you don't attack someone personally. Don't be afraid of being bold in your expression of a differing opinion. 

Phantom

I didn’t attack you!  I express my opinion on your posts just as you are doing!  In fact not only did I not attacked you, I complimented you on being nicer than most of your posts!  Have a Happy Thanksgiving. 

2 minutes ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

I didn’t attack you!  I express my opinion on your posts just as you are doing!  In fact not only did I not attacked you, I complimented you on being nicer than most of your posts!  Have a Happy Thanksgiving. 

I didn't say you attacked me. I said that folks should be able to say what's on their mind so long as they don't attack someone personally. The use of the word "you" was general.

Have a blessed Thanksgiving.

Phantom

26 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I didn't say you attacked me. I said that folks should be able to say what's on their mind so long as they don't attack someone personally. The use of the word "you" was general.

Have a blessed Thanksgiving.

Phantom

“so long as you don’t attack someone” is a quote from your own post!  Seems to me you were saying I was attacking you personally!?!  
thanks for you Thanksgiving wish

17 minutes ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

“so long as you don’t attack someone” is a quote from your own post!  Seems to me you were saying I was attacking you personally!?!  
thanks for you Thanksgiving wish

It was a Generic Pronoun...

And per the suggestion, I'm now letting it go.

Hope everyone has a Blessed Thanksgiving.

Phantom

4 hours ago, The Aggie Rifleman, SASS#55213 said:

I want Ruger to get the Marlin 1917 Machine Gun (product improved Potato Digger) back into production!

Also, remake the Marlin Model 62 so it could feed from 30 Carbine mags.  When I get a 30 Carbine Blackhawk it needs a non-semiauto compadre.

Strong rumor is the Marlin model 60 is on Ruger's list of future production.

..........Widder

24 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Strong rumor is the Marlin model 60 is on Ruger's list of future production.

..........Widder

Sure am glad I bought one of those in stainless steel with a nice wooden stock when I did!

Here's hoping all have a blessed and happy Thanksgiving.

Kajun

12 hours ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

I don’t think so if I am buying the receiver separately, like making a Mare”s leg. I am thinking it would be considered a pistol. 

The ATF views firearm components as "Once and forever".

I.E.  a machine gun is ALWAYS a machine gun - even if the parts required to make it function as a machine gun are removed or eliminated from the firearm.

The Mares leg pistols being currently produced are doing so with virgin receivers (were never assembled, serialized nor identified as a rifle).

So UNLESS you could find a 1860 receiver that has NEVER been assembled as a rifle AND prior to the serial number on the receiver having been designated as becoming a rifle (in other words - a unicorn) - that receiver you are using is "once and forever" a rifle receiver.  If you were to place a barrel on it of less than sixteen inches - you have now created an illegal SBR (short barrelled rifle) subject to the NFA.

You, of course, can submit paperwork, pay the fees and get approval to build a SBR - but you certainly want to go thru the proper steps before advertising on an open firearms forum your intentions to violate Federal law.

My opinion.

7 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

The ATF views firearm components as "Once and forever".

I.E.  a machine gun is ALWAYS a machine gun - even if the parts required to make it function as a machine gun are removed or eliminated from the firearm.

The Mares leg pistols being currently produced are doing so with virgin receivers (were never assembled, serialized nor identified as a rifle).

So UNLESS you could find a 1860 receiver that has NEVER been assembled as a rifle AND prior to the serial number on the receiver having been designated as becoming a rifle (in other words - a unicorn) - that receiver you are using is "once and forever" a rifle receiver.  If you were to place a barrel on it of less than sixteen inches - you have now created an illegal SBR (short barrelled rifle) subject to the NFA.

You, of course, can submit paperwork, pay the fees and get approval to build a SBR - but you certainly want to go thru the proper steps before advertising on an open firearms forum your intentions to violate Federal law.

My opinion.

Yes I was going to see if I could order one from Henry, just the receiver, and then buy a barrel to somehow reduce to an 8-10” length, and the see if I could create a grip and modify the lever to be more like the Volcanic pistols. Wasn’t planning on a short barrel gun and the tax stamp. 

7 hours ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

Some points...

A factory fresh receiver(if that's the part that is considered the firearm) can be built into a pistol or rifle. Once it is sold as a rifle it will ALWAYS be a rifle and cannot be turned into a pistol. If it's sold as a pistol, it can be changed to a rifle but not vice versa. That eliminates buying one used. So, if I were going to build one, I would make darn sure if was factory fresh unsold before and marked as pistol on the paperwork when I bought it to avoid confusion. If you intended to sell them, there'd be a seperate license for that. 

I want a Volcanic too. Too bad Smith and Wesson didn't keep it.

1 minute ago, Tennessee williams said:

Some points...

A factory fresh receiver(if that's the part that is considered the firearm) can be built into a pistol or rifle. Once it is sold as a rifle it will ALWAYS be a rifle and cannot be turned into a pistol. If it's sold as a pistol, it can be changed to a rifle but not vice versa. That eliminates buying one used. So, if I were going to build one, I would make darn sure if was factory fresh unsold before and marked as pistol on the paperwork when I bought it to avoid confusion. If you intended to sell them, there'd be a seperate license for that. 

Guys, this is a fun gun  that I would want for myself, no I am not going to start making them to sell. Yes I am talking about a receiver only (already said that) and this is something that is a dream project, not even sure it can be realized. 

1 hour ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

Yes I was going to see if I could order one from Henry, just the receiver, and then buy a barrel to somehow reduce to an 8-10” length, and the see if I could create a grip and modify the lever to be more like the Volcanic pistols. Wasn’t planning on a short barrel gun and the tax stamp. 

Doubt it. Their "books" will show the receiver as a Rifle unless they produce a Pistol version.

16 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

They're expensive...but not that expensive.

Particularly taking into consideration the rising prices of Turkeys.

Phantom

13 minutes ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

Guys, this is a fun gun  that I would want for myself, no I am not going to start making them to sell.

Irrelevant - possession is a Felony.

Not worth it.

There is an older Uberti Henry with a stretched frame on the shelf at Cimarron.  There is also a new Henry frame on the shelf that was ordered to replace the stretched frame.  When the customer found out how much the new frame would cost, he said forget it, just keep the rifle.

Regardless of rifle vs pistol, etc. I think that IF you could buy just a frame the cost would be close to a new gun.  Better off buying the rifle, sell off the extra parts, and deal with the SBR tax stuff.  IMO.

9 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Irrelevant - possession is a Felony.

Not worth it.

Got it you now have a law degree and have decided you know everything. By your logic the Mares Legs that have been sold would be illegal too. Got to hand it to you, you just love to antagonize people don’t you. 

4 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

There is an older Uberti Henry with a stretched frame on the shelf at Cimarron.  There is also a new Henry frame on the shelf that was ordered to replace the stretched frame.  When the customer found out how much the new frame would cost, he said forget it, just keep the rifle.

Regardless of rifle vs pistol, etc. I think that IF you could buy just a frame the cost would be close to a new gun.  Better off buying the rifle, sell off the extra parts, and deal with the SBR tax stuff.  IMO.

Now that’s good information, but I would like to believe I could order the receiver cheaper than a whole rifle from Henry. And again I was talking about a dream project, as I don’t have the funds right now to spend on it. Thanks

17 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Doubt it. Their "books" will show the receiver as a Rifle unless they produce a Pistol version.

Then with that logic the Mares Legs would be a short barreled rifle and everyone that owns one is breaking the law.   I wait that wasn’t the case was it?  All those receivers were not classified as a rifle. Oops guess your opinion isn’t correct is it?

Now. Am going to not comment anymore on this post as Phantom has made it not fun anymore. Last thing I need is to banter with a supposed know it all who is entitled to his opinion. But I don’t care about his opinion!  Bye

Just now, Tequila Shooter said:

All this talk, if we’re going down fantasy lane how about just bringing back the Old Army. 

You would think they could make a limited run with some ease. I left a factory with CNC machinery 16 years ago and even then all it took to make a change in production was running a new computer file and the appropriate steel stock. The CNC had a huge selection of heads with mills, drills, etc to turn a block of steel into almost anything, provided the program had been made to build it.

The big question is how much of a market would there be? If they stopped production it must not have been paying the bills.

49 minutes ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

Then with that logic the Mares Legs would be a short barreled rifle and everyone that owns one is breaking the law.   I wait that wasn’t the case was it?  All those receivers were not classified as a rifle. Oops guess your opinion isn’t correct is it?

No, those receivers were slated for pistols initially. Once they go down as being made for a rifle, that's it. Can never be a pistol. 

2 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

No, those receivers were slated for pistols initially. Once they go down as being made for a rifle, that's it. Can never be a pistol. 

C'mon now - There is no need to bring logic or basic reading comprehension into this.  ;)

Ruger is counting on the Model 60 because they can sell it in states where the 10/22 will be outlawed because of magazine restrictions. They said it would be easy to modify the tube magazine as well if they would have to limit to 10 rounds.

Archived