SASS Wire Forum

A suggestion for Ruger for Marlin

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

We all know that the Ruger revolver is a modernized version of the Colt SAA.

How many would like to see Ruger make a modernized version of the Marlin 98 shotgun that addresses the safety concerns of the original?   They probably won't do so, and even if they did it would probably not be approved for SASS use, but I'd still buy one if they did.

Anyone else interested if it happened?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never happen anyway. Big corps like Ruger deal in $$. It would cost them way more to toll up for it than they would make in revenue, never mind profit.

Market isn't there... Nope. They're making Marlin rifles because there's money in it, no other reason.

CAS is such a small portion of their sales these days I can't see that happening. The expense to tool up and make a new production line wouldn't be worth the profit on the few they would sell. The market trend these days is super soft recoil hunting shotguns or tactical defense models..

Oh come on now! The design was so stellar that it should be brought back! 

I'm thinking about bringing back the Model-T...a few little improvements and it'll take off!!!!

Stay tuned!

Phantom

Dearest Ruger Claus ~ Please make a "cowboy" stainless Marlin 1894 in 44-40 and stainless coach SXS.

....but like the song, I'll just "dream on". :D

GG ~ :FlagAm:

5 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I'm thinking about bringing back the Model-T...a few little improvements and it'll take off!!!!

Stay tuned!

Phantom

Yeah, a Model T Hybrid. :P

15 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Yeah, a Model T Hybrid. :P

https://www.hagerty.com/media/automotive-history/116-years-before-the-mach-e-henry-ford-built-this-barebones-battery-powered-model-t/

1 hour ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

We all know that the Ruger revolver is a modernized version of the Colt SAA.

How many would like to see Ruger make a modernized version of the Marlin 98 shotgun that addresses the safety concerns of the original?   They probably won't do so, and even if they did it would probably not be approved for SASS use, but I'd still buy one if they did.

Anyone else interested if it happened?

That would be kinda like Ford coming out with an all electric Model A and they’d lose their ass.

I'd rather Ruger do an updated version of the 1873 similar to how they handled the Vaquero. Really hoping their updated Marlin is of the same quality as the Vaquero revolver.

2 minutes ago, Houston CAS said:

I'd rather Ruger do an updated version of the 1873 similar to how they handled the Vaquero. Really hoping their updated Marlin is of the same quality as the Vaquero revolver.

Like an original appearing '73 with coil springs and such? I like where you're goin' with this.

Again, I think the problem would be with the market... we can only hope.

The latest rumor is that the first to be back on the market is the 1895 SBL. Not SASS or CAS in any way. It's catering to the hunting/tactical crowd.

18 minutes ago, Cholla said:

The latest rumor is that the first to be back on the market is the 1895 SBL. Not SASS or CAS in any way. It's catering to the hunting/tactical crowd.

The 1895SBL is not only an awesome rifle, but the most popular seller (Marlin), I had in my shops.

26 minutes ago, Cholla said:

Yes, that is true, but you can't fault us CAS folks for expressing their suggestions, hopes, dreams, and fantasies... :D

My wish from Santa Ruger would be a reliable Lightning rifle!

6 hours ago, Gunner Gatlin, SASS 10274L said:

Yes, that is true, but you can't fault us CAS folks for expressing their suggestions, hopes, dreams, and fantasies... :D

As a gun writer I told a Henry rep that of they offered an American-made model 66 or 73 copy at the same price point as what Uberti has, they would capture most of the CAS market. I think they ignored my thoughts.

2 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Yeps!   That was my point.   Oh...  How about the top eject Marlin?   That'd be cool.

I would be more in the market for a SS Vaquero in .45 Colt with a 7.5" barrel. That would be easy.

10 minutes ago, Cholla said:

As a gun writer I told a Henry rep that of they offered an American-made model 66 or 73 copy at the same price point as what Uberti has, they would capture most of the CAS market. I think they ignored my thoughts.

They could have ignored it...or perhaps they now a little bit more about the "Market" than we do.

Phantom

7 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

They could have ignored it...or perhaps they now a little bit more about the "Market" than we do.

Phantom

I agree with you but then I remember what USFA started doing, so sometimes you have to wonder.

8 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Phantom

Yup.  The CAS market is quite small.  Selling 10 or 20 thousand guns may not show much/if any profit considering the price of engineering, R&D, materials, tooling, marketing, manufacture, etc.  They're looking for numbers of several hundred thousand or more to justify the cost.  While the CAS might desire certain guns, it's often not worth the likelihood of loss to a manufacturer.

If someone did a significant amount of market research and was able to show that a certain type of firearm would sell enough over (let's say 5 years) to produce a 5 or 10x return, then a manufacturer may pay attention.

On 11/19/2021 at 12:30 PM, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

They bought tooling and the know name of Marlin...They are not going to design and tool up from scratch for a toggle link rifle.

Come on guys...

Phantom

My God you are such a spoil sport!

On 11/20/2021 at 6:36 PM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

How about a "Mare's Leg" type pistol based on the 1860 Henry?

You could give it a really spiffy name, like...   The Volcanic!

I like where you are going with that!  I was thinking of buying a receiver and the a barrel separately to cut down to the Volcanic pistol length!  

My wish is entirely possible to come true. I would like one of the versions of the .44 Magnum semi-auto carbines to come back. I missed out on the 10-44 and then the Ruger Deerfield .44. When I had two little mouths to feed they were available at a reasonable cost and now that I have some extra jangle in my pockets, they have shot into orbit price-wise.

On 11/19/2021 at 8:06 AM, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Stay tuned!

Phantom

Let us know when you're taking orders.  If you don't "improve" it with a computer, electric motor, blue headlights or obnoxious warning chimes, I'm definitely interested. 

Archived