SASS Wire Forum

Dark Horse Charlie

Use  a center drill bit to mill a small slot in it.  Soak it in Kroil for a day to lubricate the threads and unscrew it with a small (jeweler's) screwdriver.

https://www.grizzly.com/search?q=center+drill+bit

2 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Use  a center drill bit to mill a small slot in it.  Soak it in Kroil for a day to lubricate the threads and unscrew it with a small (jeweler's) screwdriver.

https://www.grizzly.com/search?q=center+drill+bit

Most jewelers who do engraving can cut a new slot in the screw for low cost.  But be sure to call them first and to take the gun in the store CASED!.

Are you sure those are threads?  Pic on VTI  and exploded diagram of part, while not hi-res, do not appear threaded, and in fact would seem to me an odd part to be threaded.

Take the old piece and use some gunsmith's solder on it.  Tin the piece in the hole and tin the bottom of the latch.  Put the parts together and heat.   I don't ever recall seeing one of those that is theaded.  Pretty shallow hole for threads.

2 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Take the old piece and use some gunsmith's solder on it.  Tin the piece in the hole and tin the bottom of the latch.  Put the parts together and heat.   I don't ever recall seeing one of those that is theaded.  Pretty shallow hole for threads.

Exactly!  I had the exact same thing happen on mine.  Clean everything up, get all the oil off and then silver solder it back in place.  A little trick is to use a Sharpie anywhere you don’t want solder to stick (like on the barrel).  My repair has lasted over a year and still going strong. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived