SASS Wire Forum

What makes you a "reverend"?

Alpo

Thinking about various preachers I have known through my life. When I was in the sixth grade our preacher was Dr Whitsett. At the time that really meant nothing to me, but later when I was thinking about it, I decided that he must have a doctorate in something - most likely theology.

But he's the only preacher I remember that was Doctor somebody. The other ones were just Reverend.

I just started wondering what you have to do to be a reverend? Is there some course you have to finish, like for a doctorate? Or is it just a title given to anyone that's a preacher?

Every church group has different standards for their leadership. Even within the same denomination, different churches have different standards.

My mom’s little country Baptist church is grateful to have someone, anyone, who will stand up, preach, and lead the small congregation. 

My son’s in-laws attend a huge urban Baptist church who’s going through a pastor search. A PhD is a must-have among their qualification criteria. 

What is Reverend?

Reverend is derived from the Latin word “reverendus” which means “to stand in awe of” i.e. a feeling of reverential respect mixed with fear or wonder. In other words, something which is worthy of honor and respect. Reverend was first used in the 15th century.

What is Pastor?

Pastor is derived from the Latin word Pastor meaning “shepherd”. This means “to lead to pasture”. This word and meaning has been adopted to religious aspects. Pastor from a religious perspective means the minister of the church. The term “Pastor” was first used in the 14th century.

Difference Between Pastor and Reverend (With Table)

I'm a preacher in the old line primitive baptist.  We reserve the name reverend foe God because in psalms it says , " holy and reverend is His name".  

Once, years ago in one of our churches in Florida,  attended by a ex navy seal as well as another former green beret, a criminal entered the church with a gun to rob it during services .  The criminal told the pastor "reverend, I want all the money".  The 2 vets, subdued him and while pummeling him repeatedly, yelled, "we call our preachers ELDER, because Holy and Reverend is God's name".  

Our preachers are called elder, pastor and sometimes brother by fellow elders.  

I remember hearing you could get your reverend license(?)  from a matchbook ad. That was before the internet.:P

I remember back in the late 80s my brother-in-law sent a check to someplace and got a thing back saying that he had been ordained in their church.

He was quite happy and proud about now being an ordained pastor.

What a scam...

In order to become an Ordained Licensed Reverend you just need to complete our simple application and Mail, Fax, Call the Application in to us or send the Application to us as a PDF or JPEG file attached to our E-Mail Address. (wcm@wcm.org) You may open and print our Application-Ordering forms by clicking the Blue "Apply Now" Button below.

The Reverend Title is a very general title and can usually apply to almost all types of Christian work.  Even if you are a Bishop, Evangelist, Missionary, Pastor, Chaplain or other, you may still refer to yourself as a Reverend. You are authorized to do Christian services including marriage ceremonies.

ORDERING FORM FAX Number for Applications (559) 297- 4223 (or)
Mail application to address at the bottom of this page (or)
Call in application to: (559) 297-4271
Requested Amount
Offering Enclosed
Certificate of Ordination . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $32.00 _______
Title Certificate (Mark your title on the other side of this form) . . . . . . . $27.00 _______
Pocket Ordination Card (Laminated in plastic) . . . . . . . . . . . . . $15.00 _______
Basic Ordination Package (Includes first 3 items above) . . . $58.00 _____
Legal Status . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $ 5.00 _______
Marriage Certificates (5 for $7) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $ 7.00 _______
Baptism Certificates (5 for $7) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $ 7.00 _______
Marriage Laws In Your State . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $ 3.00 _______
Preparing Your First Sermon . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $ 2.00 _______
Ceremonies for Marriage / Baptism / Funerals . . . . . . . . . . . . . $ 5.00 _______
Ways Your Ministry Can Raise Money . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $ 2.00 _______
“CLERGY” Car Dashboard Sign (Laminated in Plastic). . . . . . . . . . $ 6.00 _______
Clergy Package #1 (Everything from top of page to here) . . . $85.00 _____

In my Church you must first have the support of the elders in your local church , then if they decide there are clear evidences of gifting for service, and good moral conduct .  Then vote to grant you a local pastors license, and if the District agrees you are granted a one year "Local Licence".  This is Step One .

After a year or more serving in the local Church , and entering into a approved course of study and attendance at a District Assessment week-end with your spouse. And being found by a Group of Ordained Leaders to have the gifting for service and the Grace of the Lord in your life , and your spouse deemed fit to serve alongside you in the church. You must both pass an advanced Criminal Records Check . 

Then after completing an approved course of study, with yearly reviews at the assessment center, you may apply for Ordination.

If the District Supertendent approves you will and your spouse will be interviewed by the General Supertendent if they approve you will be Ordained at District Assembly . 

You are now a Rev. .... Up to this point you are a Pastor .  I have been a Pastor since May 13 2019 leading a Church that was in Crisis back to health. Not usually a job for a new pastor or for the faint of heart . So I have earned my title of Pastor in trial by fire .

Pastor Walter  AKA 

Jabez Cowboy

No you are legally an ordained minister. Different term.

In a Spenser novel we have this guy that has started a cult. Spenser goes to talk to him, and says, "Mr. Winston...", and is immediately corrected, "Reverend Winston!"

Now if he wished to call himself Doctor Winston, he would need to have a piece of paper from some institution of learning saying that he has earned a doctorate of some sort. It might be from the University of Bugtussle, and he might have a PhD in basket weaving. But he has a doctorate, so he can call himself doctor.

I'm just trying to find out if there is any requirement before you can call yourself Reverend? Not what it takes to become ordained. Not what it takes to actually be a minister of the Gospel. Is there a requirement, or can anyone call himself Reverend and not get in legal trouble?

There have been replies about how to become a minister in this or that church. That wasn't the question. There has been a reply about how to get ordained by a diploma mill. Also not the question.

Asked and answered. Shoot, you can buy a PhD online...

'If your co workers enjoy promotions and salary increases based on their academic achievements but you have more experience than they have, you should buy a PhD and enjoy the same benefits as they have. If someone doubts the legality of your diploma you should say that you have taken the online courses of the academic institution from which we will deliver you the diploma and never say that you decided to buy a PhD from us.'

As I stated in the above post you are not a Reverend in our Church till you have completed the requirements and been Ordained .

This usually takes about 5 years or more ... 

But you can buy your Way to REV. in some groups .

Jabez Cowboy 

I’m a Southern Baptist. My Dad was a minister. So, I can only speak to that end. The Soutern Baptist convention makes it clear that as a collective body, they do not ordain anyone.  That is strictly a local decision. The requirements are the decision of the church usually ranging from a masters degree. To no degree at all. 

On 11/19/2021 at 9:55 AM, Alpo said:

'm just trying to find out if there is any requirement before you can call yourself Reverend?

Its religion so wouldn't it be based on whatever criteria that version of the church puts in place. It's not a legal thing like attorney or doctor where you need education, testing and State licensure.

Doesn't an ordained minister have the same ability to marry people as any other title? I can only think marrying someone is the only "legal" law based thing the church does. The rest is all based on how they represent their religion. Which an ordained minister can also do.

Archived