SASS Wire Forum

Which shipping agent?

Grave Robber, SASS #57546

Due to health reasons I will selling some of my guns and supplies. The first to go will be a pair of black powder revolvers, wads, a loader, and lead balls. Can you recommend which shipping agent to use (USPS, FEDEX, etc)? How to estimate shipping costs?

USPS flat rate boxes are the cheapest way to ship provided the item is legal to ship via USPS. Basically if it fit in the box it ships for the flat rate stated online.

If you are shipping firearms that need to go to an FFL I recommend using https://www.shipmygun.com/go/

If you don't want to deal with this, do as OLG recommends and take it to an FFL. But, they will add their charges on top of the actual shipping costs.

I set up my own pirateship account. You can buy a USPS or UPS label online, print it from your computer, and drop it in the package drop at USPS or UPS. Plus you get it at a discount. The website is easy to use.  https://ship.pirateship.com/

1 hour ago, Cholla said:

USPS flat rate boxes are the cheapest way to ship provided the item is legal to ship via USPS. Basically if it fit in the box it ships for the flat rate stated online.

If you are shipping firearms that need to go to an FFL I recommend using https://www.shipmygun.com/go/

If you don't want to deal with this, do as OLG recommends and take it to an FFL. But, they will add their charges on top of the actual shipping costs.

I set up my own pirateship account. You can buy a USPS or UPS label online, print it from your computer, and drop it in the package drop at USPS or UPS. Plus you get it at a discount. The website is easy to use.  https://ship.pirateship.com/

^^^^THIS^^^^

38 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Non, FFL can not ship a handgun via USPS.

I don't know if this includes antiques. 

OLG 

I ship and receive Old Armies via USPS quite often, it’s legal.

57 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Non, FFL can not ship a handgun via USPS.

I don't know if this includes antiques. 

OLG 

The ATF does not consider muzzleloading firearms as firearms. They also do not consider firearms made prior to 1898 as being something to regulate.

The USPS regulation are purposely confusing and people argue both ways. It would be best to ask a knowledgeable pro-gun postmaster what they think. An FFL can ship guns via USPS Priority all day long while FedEx and UPS demand overnight shipping. Shipmygun has an exception that allows shipping at a slower rate, thus lessening the cost.

The OP said he was selling a pair of black powder revolvers.  I'm guessing they are cap and ball revolvers.  I thought cap and ball revolvers could go anywhere by any means.  No FFL required.  I'm not an expert, so don't tell any shippers that I said that.:P

40 minutes ago, German Jim said:

The OP said he was selling a pair of black powder revolvers.  I'm guessing they are cap and ball revolvers.  I thought cap and ball revolvers could go anywhere by any means.  No FFL required.  I'm not an expert, so don't tell any shippers that I said that.:P

Some cities have their own regs...

13 hours ago, Grave Robber, SASS #57546 said:

Thanks fellers.

Yes, they are cap and ball revolvers so they do not have to go through an FFL (at least on my end). 

Not necessarily true.

There are cities/counties that still require an FFL do a background check on C&B (etc), firearms. Then you might have to deal with and FFL in those cities/counties that will not accept the shipment from a non-licensee.

Phantom

8 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Not necessarily true.

There are cities/counties that still require an FFL do a background check on C&B (etc), firearms. Then you might have to deal with and FFL in those cities/counties that will not accept the shipment from a non-licensee.

Phantom

Yes, sir. I was referring to FEDERAL law that does not prevent the shipping agent from shipping cap and ball revolvers to private persons. I even had cap and ball revolvers shipped directly to me while I was working in California.

1 minute ago, Grave Robber, SASS #57546 said:

Yes, sir. I was referring to FEDERAL law that does not prevent the shipping agent from shipping cap and ball revolvers to private persons. I even had cap and ball revolvers shipped directly to me while I was working in California.

Right...I'm aware of Federal Law as I'm an FFL.

The point is, that Federal Law is meaningless if the City/County has restrictions. And if shipping to an FFL in one of those places doesn't accept transfers from non-licensees, then you'll have to take your ATF Non-gun to an FFL for them to ship to the restrictive FFL.

Cheers!

Phantom

Do you always check the local laws before shipping a C&B piece or default to the fact it's not a firearm (per ATF) and mail it?

I had C&B mailed to my door in CA and on a military base!

34 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Do you always check the local laws before shipping a C&B piece or default to the fact it's not a firearm (per ATF) and mail it?

I have never shipped a C&B firearm before. I have received a few pairs and I did check the local and state laws before I made the purchase.

1 hour ago, Grave Robber, SASS #57546 said:

Cities and counties can have more restrictions than the state or Feds put in place.

L.A. City is such an example. 

OLG 

55 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

I try to understand the local laws...but ultimately it's the buyer's responsibility.

Phantom

PS: I HATE local laws that require an FFL for a Non-gun gun.

I went through a “wonderful” experience with USPS in the fall of 2019 to ship my ROAs to Goon’s gunworks.  Regardless of the USPS shipping codes, it it up to the interpretation of the post master.  Even when their shipping codes state they cannot regulate like the BATFE.  It will be extremely frustrating.  I eventually got them back after I solicited assistance from my state senator to get them out of their gun jail.  I wish there was a better way to deal with their ignorance of firearms and non-firearms.

Tucker; I assume you told them what was in the box? Otherwise, how did they know? If it is leagal then all they need to know is if it is flammable, fragile, or potentially hazardous, you don't have to tell them what is inside.

1 hour ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

Tucker; I assume you told them what was in the box? Otherwise, how did they know? If it is leagal then all they need to know is if it is flammable, fragile, or potentially hazardous, you don't have to tell them what is inside.

No, they let the samsonite gorilla handle the package and then took it upon themselves to inspect what was inside because I was a fool and insured the package.

Too bad they don't even know their own rules, but then, they are usually pretty gun ignorant. I shipped a SXS once, and had it broken down to avoid damage. They made me open the package because " it looked like a rifle might be inside" and then the fool behind the counter told me I couldn't ship it "unless I took the bolt out". I took my package to another Post Office I knew wasn't quite so stupid, didn't have any problem there.

Recently I started using shipmyguns.  Excellent service.  You are using their FFL and shipping is discounted.

OP - Since you have several guns to sell, you should set up a standard way to ship so that you don't have to research every future shipment in the future.  Use this relatively straightforward shipment to learn what that process needs to be. Then you will be able to get a quote to ship and execute the whole transaction with just a few minutes of work on your end.  With shipping rates going up wildly day-by-day right now, you are probably in for a bumpy ride for next several months. 

Be aware you will run into non-cooperative buyer-end FFL holders who will not accept a shipment from a non-FFL holder.  That's their right to do, but it's certainly a kink in the shipping arrangements.

The ShipMyGuns service may pay for itself in these crazy times.

good luck, GJ

Archived