Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

State Wild Bunch Champions


tregokid sass#45143
 Share

Recommended Posts

Congrats to all of the Wild Bunch State champs!!  We all Work hard at doing well in any competition. With Wild Bunch you really have to be on your game! I understand that it`s not for everyone and the shooter count is low but when i got my "medallion" in the mail i thought it was a joke. it`s the size of a golf ball !! In 2018 it was twice that size! Must of used all there money on the new digs!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think folks have to be on their "Game" regardless whether you're shooting "Cowboy" or Wild Bunch.

 

The numbers are low probably because so many WB Stage Writers think that the game of WB needs to be a fricken torture test...and that there's a caliber requirement rather than simply a PF requirement.

 

But...what do I know?

 

Phantom

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd love to shoot WB but my only 1911 is a 9mm and my '97 is a 16 ga.  A PF limit would open the game up to more folks and I have never understood the reasoning for only allowing a 12ga.  Kinda self limiting IMO.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think Wild Bunch will ever be anything more than a side match at State and above Cowboy matches.  It's just got too many little irritating things about it to grow on it's own.  I enjoy shooting Wild Bunch if it's convenient.  It's not one of those things I'm going to pay a lot for or shoot in the rain.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, tregokid sass#45143 said:

Congrats to all of the Wild Bunch State champs!!  We all Work hard at doing well in any competition. With Wild Bunch you really have to be on your game! I understand that it`s not for everyone and the shooter count is low but when i got my "medallion" in the mail i thought it was a joke. it`s the size of a golf ball !! In 2018 it was twice that size! Must of used all there money on the new digs!!

 

I would suggest taking any complaints regarding WB "medallions" to the WBAS forum.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Congrats, Trego Kid! I attended 4 state WBAS matches (NM, TX, MO, OK) over a 6 week period in Aug-Oct, and every one of them were extremely well-produced and well-attended. Wild Bunch is alive and growing, and it's attracting a lot of new shooters from more modern disciplines.

 

Until SASS affords the same modernization to the WBAS wire as they have here, I think the SASS Wire is an excellent place to discuss anything related to SASS, including WBAS or CAS.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, C.N. Double said:

Congrats, Trego Kid! I attended 4 state WBAS matches (NM, TX, MO, OK) over a 6 week period in Aug-Oct, and every one of them were extremely well-produced and well-attended. Wild Bunch is alive and growing, and it's attracting a lot of new shooters from more modern disciplines.

 

Until SASS affords the same modernization to the WBAS wire as they have here, I think the SASS Wire is an excellent place to discuss anything related to SASS, including WBAS or CAS.

You are soooo right CN.  This past year, World Championship, National Championship, several state and even a Regional in Oklahoma.   Wild Bunch is alive and growing stronger everyday!!!!!!!!!!  Congrats Trego Kid!!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’d shoot WB if they allowed other pistols besides 1911s.  
 

My carry weapon is a double stack 1911 that holds 15 rounds. I can just see myself in a life threatening situation and dropping a magazine still holding several rounds!!  
 

The Broomhandle Mauser or the P08 Luger should be welcome!!  But it ain’t my game, so I don’t get to make the rules!!

 

No complaint, just an observation.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I’d shoot WB if they allowed other pistols besides 1911s.  
 

My carry weapon is a double stack 1911 that holds 15 rounds. I can just see myself in a life threatening situation and dropping a magazine still holding several rounds!!  
 

The Broomhandle Mauser or the P08 Luger should be welcome!!  But it ain’t my game, so I don’t get to make the rules!!

 

No complaint, just an observation.

 

In the "old days" before the SASS WB rules were adopted, you could basically use any pistol you wanted that was made up until 1918.  1911's, Lugers, Broomhandles, Webelys, 1917s and so on would be seen in great numbers.   Yes, you could use revolvers or automatics.   Most clubs allowed you to use 1 or 2 pistols, reloading as needed, and it made sense for the autos to be loaded with only 5 rounds as they were competing with revolvers.   Round count was almost always 10 for the pistol, sometimes 15, and that was it.

You could use your 97 or your 87.   Some clubs allowed for any repeating shotgun in safe working order up to the 1918 cutoff date, and some folks even used their SxS's because they wanted too, even though the repeaters were preloaded like a rifle.

Rifles was probably where there was the most variation from club to club.   Some places allowed only main match CAS style rifles, some allowed you to use any 1918 or earlier rifle, including those in "rifle calibers."  You would sometimes even have the choice to use 2 rifles instead of having to reload if it would not hold the needed 10 rounds.  (This made the British Lee-Enfield semi-popular.)   I also knew one fellow who used a Broomhandle with the shoulderstock attached as his "rifle."  (It wasn't me, but I had plans to before the rules were changed.)

 

Some folks just used their regular cowboy guns.

It was wide open, as fun as all get out, and INTERESTING.

 

Shooting, say, a 1917 and a Webley along with a Krag and a 1895 Winchester, or a 1911 and a Luger with a Lee-Enfield, or a Colt 1878 with a S&W Model 3 DA and a Winchester 94 was a hoot and a half.


The rules as adopted by SASS, limiting it to the 1911 and the 97 have made it boring.   Needing 21 to 28 pistol rounds per string is, as someone mentioned, a torture test.  And in spite of what they claim, to me, it really has just become SASS with a 1911.


We'll never get the rules changed, they are what they are.   If I am at a big shoot that has a WB match at it, I'll probably shoot it, especially if I had to travel to get there, but I don't make an effort to go to any stand alone WB matches anymore.  Of the clubs that had the wide open rules, some continued to use them for a while, calling it "Traditional WB," or "The Professionals" to avoid confusion with the SASS rules, but most of them have stopped.

It's too bad. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Texas Doughboys is a WB club in Bowie TX. They also shoot many other styles including BAMM, GAMM.

 

Unfortunately they don't have a website or anything else I can find that gives a good description of what all they do.

 

Some day I need to go and check it out. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are 172 shooters registered for EOT World Championship of Wild Bunch Action Shooting.  The organizers have increased the available spots in the match for 2022 to handle the demand.  It will be the largest WB match ever. 

I’m sorry if it’s not your cup of tea. We Wild Bunch shooters are enjoying it. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.