SASS Wire Forum

Cop accidentally shoots himself while testing 38-caliber handgun

Buckshot Bear

Cop accidentally shoots himself while testing 38-caliber handgun.

Why would that pistol have been loaded???

Yes he should 100% have checked it, but why would it have been loaded and the clerk should have cleared it before handing it to him.

Well there you go ... Alex Baldwin said he wanted police on the set from now on to check weapons ... So much for that!!

OTOH ... he did rack the slide and look ... and noticed something in there ... bet a cartridge of the wrong caliber was floating around there.

Also ... looked like a semi auto handgun ... In 38?? 

I watched that video several times. I never saw evidence of him being shot. No big gushing blood. The three people down range didn't seem upset. No WHAT THE ***** YOU DOING YOU STUPID **********. YOU ALMOST SHOT ME!!!!! He tossed it back on the counter, and the clerk didn't make any effort to secure a loaded gun?

What I saw was a customer handling a small automatic pistol, racking the slide back, and then either the slide lock malfunctioned or that gun did not have a slide lock, and he pinched the heel of his hand between the slide and the barrel.

M1 thumb, except it was a pistol and the heel of his hand.

Sorry, if you look close you see a small puff of smoke near his hand and another one behind the customer to his left as the bullet tore up the floor.

This hopefully was not Hollywood that like lots of red flying around.  Gunshot wounds dont always bleed a lot at least at the onset.  

13 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I watched that video several times. I never saw evidence of him being shot. No big gushing blood. The three people down range didn't seem upset. No WHAT THE ***** YOU DOING YOU STUPID **********. YOU ALMOST SHOT ME!!!!! He tossed it back on the counter, and the clerk didn't make any effort to secure a loaded gun?

What I saw was a customer handling a small automatic pistol, racking the slide back, and then either the slide lock malfunctioned or that gun did not have a slide lock, and he pinched the heel of his hand between the slide and the barrel.

I agree. The first "flash" is the price tag flipping around. I do not see the second puff on the floor, I do see the camera lens needs to be cleaned.

Doofus did pinch himself (I have also been a Doofus), but I see no shot fired.

59 minutes ago, Alpo said:

There is no sound. The customers down the counter reacted but that could have been due to  the reaction of the cop? Security guard? When he got bit by the slide. No flash. No smoke. Lack of blood doesn’t mean a lot. GSWs don’t always bleed initially. 
but I see no evidence of a gunshot.

From the Youtube description:

Jan 15, 2015

An American police officer has sued a sporting goods store, Barren Sports in Kentucky, after he injured his hand while testing a gun. 

An attorney for the officer says that he "was was unaware he’d been handed a loaded weapon" during his visit to the store on January 9.

3 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Every time a gun store clerk ever handed me a pistol, they always checked that it was empty.  Then I checked it too.  I guess if you get sloppy, things happen.

SOP in every gun shop, smith's shop, and range I ever worked at.

If I were the superior over those guys they'd both have a world of problems beyond someone getting shot.

Whether the video is a setup or authentic, it drives home the point to always check guns everywhere, regardless of who hands it to you.  I once had a Rutgers 9mm handed to me by a clerk.  I checked it and found five rounds in the mag plus one loaded. 

I worked at a gun shop range part time for about 10 years. A guy handed me a shotgun to see if we might want to buy it. I racked it open and a shell flew out! I emptied 3 more!! I wanted to tell him to get out and don't ever come back!:angry: I scolded him about handing me a loaded firearm and said we're not interested.

Here is a news report of the incident.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/kentucky-shots-finger-gun-store-article-1.2079198

It happened near where I live a few years ago. Except that a customer was shot in the head by an "unloaded" gun another customer was looking at.

Accidental shooting at pawn shop leaves an ETX man critically wounded

Archived