SASS Wire Forum

Another spin -- what highly rated westerns did you NOT like?

I hardly watch television or movies but, 

Outside of The Cowboys or The Shootist, I have no use for John Wayne movies....

I'm not a fan of Tom Selleck or his movies especially Monte Walsh, and that includes the Quigley Down Under movie that everyone drools over.....

And finally,

I never had much use for Kevin Costner's shows until Yellowstone.

You asked ! ;)

23 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Unforgiven w/Clint Eastwood. How and why he received an Academy Award for it is beyond me. 

There Will Be Blood. I don't know if this counts as a western. Whether it does or doesn't, it's the worst rag of a movie that I ever had the displeasure to watch (excepting Hell To Pay of course).

We can no longer be friends.:lol:

I like Unforgiven. In fact #2 just behind Jose Wales for Clint Eastwood.

I cannot stand Young Guns or Young Guns 2. Makes me want to slap somebody's face.

On 11/16/2021 at 9:45 PM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

High Noon.

I could never buy a town full of frontiersmen, Indian fighters and military veterans and those who had faced down many other dangers, cowering in the dark instead of supporting a single lawman.

I didn't love High Noon either. That trope of the townsfolk scurrying to hide while the lone lawman faces the bad guys always bothered me. That's actually one of the strengths of Open Range for me- it addresses that partway through the movie (the "you're men, ain't you?" scene), and then townsfolk end up joining in the final gun battle, after some initial hesitation.

21 hours ago, Cholla said:

John Wayne True Grit. A mediocre vehicle where John Wayne plays John Wayne with an eye patch. I loved parts -- didn't like parts. 

That's been my experience with that film, too. I much prefer the Coen Brothers remake with Jeff Bridges. 

6 hours ago, Waimea said:

We can no longer be friends.:lol:

I like Unforgiven. In fact #2 just behind Jose Wales for Clint Eastwood.

I cannot stand Young Guns or Young Guns 2. Makes me want to slap somebody's face.

Waimea, what an ugly thing to say. Does this mean we're not friends anymore?;)

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

Waimea, what an ugly thing to say. Does this mean we're not friends anymore?;)

I'm an ugly guy.

I guess we can still be friends.

I'll even throw in a beer for being so ugly.:lol:

5 hours ago, Alpo said:

I didn't trip. It bit me when I was stealing one of its eggs for my breakfast omelette.

..... ah yes, that dangerous Australian beastie, the platbilled duckypuss .............

..... the bite will probably get infected every year, it'll make your brain think that fosters beer tastes good :blink:

"How the West Was Won"

Dreadful.
Run it without sound, and watch the stereotypical acting of that era... the perfectly coifed, clean and made-up women making doe eyes and fawning all over any man that comes by.

After all the hype, and waiting months for it to come by Netflix... I was sorely disappointed.

On 11/17/2021 at 7:06 AM, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

Just look at what happened to the Dalton gang.

and the Stillwell gang :D

image.png.47e5a0c4e0f9dfe41855a5c050b1c466.png

TV Shows that I got bored with and don't intend to finish

Bonanza

The Rifleman (I actually really like some of the episodes, but I just have no desire to go back and finish it)

Movies I've seen once and probably won't watch again,

Tombstone (great Hollywood production, I just feel like it lacks all historical context)

Quigley down under.  I don't feel like the acting was done well on this one.  Rickman always bothers me when he's trying too hard to be evil.  Not a big fan of Harry potter, but he's much more useful as an actor in a role where people believe he's the villain but isn't.

Archived