SASS Wire Forum

Another spin -- what highly rated westerns did you NOT like?

Including "beloved" TV westerns when I was a kid I did not like Hopalong Cassidy and The Lone Ranger.  I still donot like them.

When it came out I thought the original True Grit was horrible.  As I have aged I find it not quite as horrible.  

Not a fan of most of the remakes of some of the great ones.  3:10 to Yuma comes to mind and others    GW

It's a good topic.

The two most overrated are The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, and the Searchers; two which are usually touted among the 'greatest'.

Liberty Valance has great scenes. Like the steak scene, which shows Jimmy Stewart at his near-hysterical best. And the crazy villainy of Lee Marvin. But the painfully extended civics leasons are, well, just painful. And Wayne thinking he had the woman, but never actually ever asking her himself was just....sort of pathetic. The lesson: don't put Stewart and Wayne in the same movie; no comptetion. Except the Shootist.

The Searchers? The famous cinematography is truly great. But: lose the half-wit sidekick (a concept that thankfully was eventually abandoned in Westerns). Above all-- eliminate the goofball grinning suitor, and the 'svenskis'.....And, John: if you want the woman, say so. Or go find another woman; it's not that difficult.....

Shane - whiney kid drove me nuts

Once Upon a Time in the West - scummy feeling movie

Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid - damned crappy music and a stupid plot

Shane: there had to be the kid, because the book was told from the point of view of the kid.

Butch Cassidy? The bicycle-riding scene with "Raindrops keep falling on my head" was the most ridiculous scene in all of cinema, before or since. I cringe even writing about it...

Lust in the Dust

My Name is Nobody 

Once Upon a Time Time in the West. Comic book performances by Fonda and Bronson in a boring plot. 

3:10 to Yuma. Christian Bale turns out to be a loser after all. 

John Wayne True Grit. A mediocre vehicle where John Wayne plays John Wayne with an eye patch. 

Rooster Cogburn. A lame sequel to True Grit where Wayne and Hepburn play themselves. 

Million Ways To Die In The West

Hateful Eight

The Quick And the Dead   

The Cowboys

3:10 To Yuma remake

Appaloosa

McCabe and Mrs Miller (how this thing was ever named the 8th best western ever by the AFI is beyond comprehension)  -_-

And a whole bunch I never bothered to watch (Wild Wild West and others of that ilk).

The Spaghetti Westerns actually were more fun to watch as an adult than when I was younger - I "learned" to look at 'em as just spoofs.                  

36 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

High Noon.

I could never buy a town full of frontiersmen, Indian fighters and military veterans and those who had faced down many other dangers, cowering in the dark instead of supporting a single lawman.

And yet, half of the Westerns filmed have had the townsmen scurrying for shelter, rounding up the womenfolk, drawing down the blinds, when the lawman was out there in the street confronting the bad guys. Yet they were frontiersmen, Civil War veterans, etc. 

It's just an almost universal Western theme: the one lawman against the outlaws, while the towns people take flight. High Noon just makes it plainer than most. The original 3:10 to Yuma does, too.

7 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

And yet, half of the Westerns filmed have had the townsmen scurrying for shelter, rounding up the womenfolk, drawing down the blinds, when the lawman was out there in the street confronting the bad guys. Yet they were frontiersmen, Civil War veterans, etc. 

It's just an almost universal Western theme: the one lawman against the outlaws, while the towns people take flight. High Noon just makes it plainer than most. The original 3:10 to Yuma does, too.

Just look at what happened to the Dalton gang.

+1 for The Searchers

I am somewhat undetermined regarding Open Range. While it's quite a decent movie, Costner has imho such an annoying way to present himself as the very very goodest of all guys and all the killing he does is super justified. I also remember the soundtrack to be a bit over the top and exuberant.

Unforgiven w/Clint Eastwood. How and why he received an Academy Award for it is beyond me. 

There Will Be Blood. I don't know if this counts as a western. Whether it does or doesn't, it's the worst rag of a movie that I ever had the displeasure to watch (excepting Hell To Pay of course).

12 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Million Ways To Die In The West

Hateful Eight

11 hours ago, ORNERY OAF said:

Hateful 8

Jango(remake with Jamie fox)

Avoid at all costs of these turds

Hateful 8 started off okay and then turned into one of Tarantino's  blood and stupidity festivals. Anyone else notice when the gun was unloaded and the cases were hitting the floor there were .45 Colt and what looked like  38-40 cases intermingled? That was the first thing I found annoying then things went downhill from there.

Tarantino claims he likes accuracy....

True Grit (original)

Rooster Cogburn

Unforgiven

Cattle Annie and Little Britches

3:10 to Yuma (original)

Jubal 

Well, any Glenn Ford Western for that matter.

I could make quite a list. One that always aggravates me is The Quick and the Dead. The one with Sam Elliot from the L'Amour book is one of my favorite movies. BUT.........seems like everytime I see that movie coming on it's that piece of crap with Gene Hackman and Sharon Stone. Even the "scenery" couldn't help that stinker.

JHC

I am not a fan of Eastwoods movies Fist Full Of Dollars, Good Bad & the Ugly, and a Few More Dollars. Not crazy about Joe Kidd either. 

I try to watch them once in a while just to see but still just not my thing. I dont care for the sound on them and the effects. Makes me think I'm watching an old Chinese movie.

Lust in the Dust -- Never saw it.

My Name is Nobody -- Never saw it.

Once Upon a Time Time in the West. Comic book performances by Fonda and Bronson in a boring plot. -- Agree

John Wayne True Grit. A mediocre vehicle where John Wayne plays John Wayne with an eye patch. I loved parts -- didn't like parts. It makes me homesick for western Colorado watching it.

Rooster Cogburn. A lame sequel to True Grit where Wayne and Hepburn play themselves. Agree -- I forced myself to watch it.

My parents didn't allow me to watch TV growing up except on rare occasions so many of the movies and series are all new to me. I absolutely love Hopalong Cassidy and Bat Masterson. I never saw any of them until a few years ago so imagine a 55-year old watching them for the first time!

I absolutely hate Bonanza. I tolerate Gunsmoke but dislike the later movies.

Stagecoach with the country stars of the day was a real stinker to me. I like the one with Ann Margaret but hat the one with Willie Nelson.

Archived