SASS Wire Forum

Prisms

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

Ten seconds on Google indicates the answer is a hollow prism doesn't do anything - 

https://www.vedantu.com/question-answer/happens-when-white-light-passes-through-a-hollow-class-12-physics-cbse-5fc52813a763fc71fbc15fc9

I disagreed until I thought about it. And I did have to think about it.

The reason a prism makes a rainbow is because the surface the light enters is not parallel to the surface the light exits.

With the hollow prism, the light travels through a piece of glass with parallel surfaces, then back into air (the original ray of white light). This ray then enters another piece of glass with parallel surfaces and again exits this second piece of glass as a single ray.

So no dispersion, and no deviation.

If the result was anything other than this, we would not be able to see through a window at an angle, or a double-pane window. And even worse would be looking through two pieces of glass that were not parallel to each other.

10 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

The reason a prism makes a rainbow is because the surface the light enters is not parallel to the surface the light exits.

With the hollow prism, the light travels through a piece of glass with parallel surfaces, then back into air (the original ray of white light). This ray then enters another piece of glass with parallel surfaces and again exits this second piece of glass as a single ray.

If the result was anything other than this, we would not be able to see through a window at an angle, or a double-pane window. And even worse would be looking through two pieces of glass that were not parallel to each other.

What John said. 

When light enters a pane of glass with two parallel sides, it starts to bend and color separate as it enters one side, but as it leaves the other parallel side it bends equally in the opposite direction, bringing the separated colors back together to their original hue. 

A hollow prism is just three panes of glass, all of which have parallel sides. 

14 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

That's a simpler explanation.  Thanks.

All my neighbors have their blinds closed all the time. I like at least a semblance of daylight.  My daughter suggested window film. I got one that was like frosted glass. Next I got one that was like hundreds of small prisms.

it’s spectacular with some lighting as well as sunlight.

984C50AE-5F0D-4EFA-9A2A-05951FD55325.jpeg

26 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

..... you all walk around inside your houses naked, or something ?  :huh:

They are just afraid of someone watching them.  I will let them look but the images will be distorted, as if the originals weren’t bad enough.

Archived