SASS Wire Forum

Opinions on the Stevens single trigger

Renegade Roper

As you may know from a post in the classifieds I am helping a new shooter get her guns.  I have an skb 100, 200 and Stoeger single trigger (all of which have been slicked up) that she has shot.  She definitely likes the skb over the Stoeger, however as everyone knows they are extremely hard to find.  She can get a Stevens 411 single trigger 12ga.  I have never shot or handled a Stevens/Baikal and neither has she.  I have been told the Stevens 411 is made by Baikal and is the top of the line. What are your opinions of this gun?  How does it compare quality wise, weight, handling, etc to the skb and Stoeger?

Thanks

Not much help here.  I believe that if you asked about a single trigger Baikal you would get feedback.  The Stevens 411 is rare, they only imported a few of them, but other than being a little better cosmetically, they are the same gun as the Baikal single trigger.

J.M>

Roper, I have handled a couple of Baikals and they felt pretty good.. I haven’t shot one in a match so I’m not much help.  Right now I’m trying out a Yildiz and it feels pretty good, I cut the barrels to 22” because that is the length of my SKBs. It shucks shells great right out of the box but has a long trigger reset that takes a little to get used to. Like everything else I’ve tried it is pretty stiff out of the box and needs some work. I’m still trying to find springs rather than taking a chance on cutting the factory springs down too much..

Randy

I bought a Stevens 411 for my son to shoot about 14 years ago.  It's got blond colored wood and had 28" barrels, which got cut to 20".  Its not a bad shotgun for the price and can be tuned up to make it more user friendly.  If she's already shot an SKB, I'm afraid she won't be happy with a Stevens 411.  Never let a person on a budget borrow your SKB.

If she can get it now at good price, I say do it. Can always become a backup sometime.

Hmmm....

So, I had a little Stevens I liked and a Bakahl...

Both single trigger.

Women normally don't have the issues using a single trigger that men do...not sure why.

2 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I bought a Stevens 411 for my son to shoot about 14 years ago.  It's got blond colored wood and had 28" barrels, which got cut to 20".  Its not a bad shotgun for the price and can be tuned up to make it more user friendly.  If she's already shot an SKB, I'm afraid she won't be happy with a Stevens 411.  Never let a person on a budget borrow your SKB.

Also, don't let your wife shoot your skb  her stoeger takes a dump because she might buy herself a SKB before you leave the match like mine did

20 minutes ago, Snakebite Dust SASS 75484 said:

Also, don't let your wife shoot your skb  her stoeger takes a dump because she might buy herself a SKB before you leave the match like mine did

And what's wrong with that....lol

The CZ Sharptail is also a great double. Have Longhunter work his magic and you have a sweet double. The price is also reasonable compared to a well used SKB.

Imis

9 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

The CZ Sharptail is also a great double. Have Longhunter work his magic and you have a sweet double. The price is also reasonable compared to a well used SKB.

Imis

A friend of ours actually has one coming in soon so she can try it out when it gets here.  

18 hours ago, Renegade Roper said:

And what's wrong with that....lol

We spent about $1500 that I was not prepared to spend

She already had much better Jimmy Spurs pistols than I did.

If she gets all the good gear , I will never be able to beat her.

I started out with a Stevens 311 SXS and it was a stout, double trigger shotgun.  However, I never liked the locking lug on the breech plate, between the two chambers, and it was a bear to get it to stay open for loading and unloading.  I'm thinking that the 411 is basically the single trigger model of the 311, but I could be wrong.  In any case, if it is of the same design it can be fixed to stay open, but that locking lug is something one would have to get used to for sure.  At least in my opinion there are better, yet still affordable choices out there.  Good luck and good shooting to all.  

On 11/21/2021 at 5:51 AM, Bison Bud said:

I started out with a Stevens 311 SXS and it was a stout, double trigger shotgun.  However, I never liked the locking lug on the breech plate, between the two chambers, and it was a bear to get it to stay open for loading and unloading.  I'm thinking that the 411 is basically the single trigger model of the 311, but I could be wrong.  In any case, if it is of the same design it can be fixed to stay open, but that locking lug is something one would have to get used to for sure.  At least in my opinion there are better, yet still affordable choices out there.  Good luck and good shooting to all.  

the Stevens 311 is nothing like a Stevens 411, which is made by Baikal.

J.M.

10 minutes ago, Johnny Meadows,SASS#28485L said:

the Stevens 311 is nothing like a Stevens 411, which is made by Baikal.

J.M.

Thanks Johnny!  My personal experience was with the 311 and I guess I should have looked it up before posting.  However, I never would have dreamed that it was made by Baikal.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Slimy said:

Hello Randy Saint Eagle,

Did you disable the auto ejectors on your Yildiz SxS? If so, how difficult was it to do? I have one and see two fairly thin slotted screws below the housing that contains the ejectors. I have not been able to find a diagram view of how it's put together or comes apart. I assume those two screws need to come out, but not sure how the spring is accessed (that housing need to comes off?). Any help is appreciated!

Thanks! 

Mine had extractors but no ejectors

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/yildiz-12-gauge-side-by-side-shotgun-105280002

Randy

i had been running a single trigger stevens 315 for the first two years i shot cas. i bought a baikal izh43e single trigger to replace the old stevens with. this is my opnion on the baikal.

the good thing about the baikal is its built like a russian tank, the bad thing is, its built like a russian tank.

i wouldnt say i hated the gun, but after 2 matches i sold it. it didnt fit me right and i didnt like the feel of it. i finally splurged and bought an skb100 and havent looked back. the old 315 is still my back up gun. the baikal is a good shotgun, just not good for me.

Archived