SASS Wire Forum

Why is it difficult to beat the Brits?

A direct quote from Dr Who:
"1941. Right now, not very far from here, the German war machine is rolling up the map of Europe.

Country after country, falling like dominoes. Nothing can stop it.

Nothing, until one tiny, damp little island says "No. No, not here." A mouse in front of a lion.

You're amazing,the lot of you.

I don't know what you did to Hitler, but you frighten the hell out of me!"

FYI: Ya can’t beat the Brits. Ya can’t beat the Aussies. Ya can’t beat the Kiwis.

You can only kill them.

Then they’ll haunt you, mate.

And then, their children will kill you. - IF their women don’t get to you first…

But they will be polite.

They’re nice people….

50 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Uh…didn’t we beat the Brits…twice? ;)

Of course, now we are allies. 

When was the second time?

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

When was the second time?

War of 1812...?   :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, MizPete said:

Went to the British War Museum, where I learned that Monty did it all by himself.

In a pig's eye.

The Americans did the most, if not personally then by giving millions of dollars worth of supplies, equipment, manpower, and intelligent command to all of the Allies.  And that was true on every front.

Many of them never paid the debt they owe us and almost none so much as thanked us, much less giving us any credit.

13 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

He lied, everyone knows that the Soviet Union did it all by themselves.

That’s probably closer to the truth than you might think. Of course they did it with a lot of material and other aid from us and the  Brits.  :P

On 11/16/2021 at 6:29 AM, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

He lied, everyone knows that the Soviet Union did it all by themselves.

Yeah, with almost all of their support came from America...and a ton of help from Mother Nature.

If the British had not fought like hall and prevents the Germans from invading. There would have been no D Day and the world would be a very different place.

But more to the point, who will be the new Doctor Who?

From what I have read, the British did not fathom the fact that this continent was so large that a guerrilla war would have lasted for years, upon years. They did not have the resources to fight a long war, over the vast distances involved. Plus the colonist's mindset had changed, over the years. There was a division among the colonists now. So much so, that in reality, our first "civil war", happened during the Revolutionary War, between those loyal to the Crown, and those that wanted independence from Britain. This "civil war" had nothing to do with slavery, but it pitted neighbor against neighbor, and it was brutal, and vengeful. It became a feud between communities, and families...and was very pronounced in the southern colonies. 

The British won a lot of battles, but ultimately they were going to lose. 

Later, when the "War of 1812" broke out, they faced different problems, and a more united opposition, and an opposition that would not be conquered. 

For the second time, they simply bit off more than they could chew, and they underestimated the problems they would, and did, face. 

8 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Are we talking about the same country that confiscated and melted down most of its private citizens' firearms, and is now a nation full of anti-gun weenies? If anyone ever attacks England again I'll take that bet...

And how many of the guns donated by American citizens as a stop gap were ever returned to their rightful owners?  I've only heard of one.

8 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

If the British had not fought like hall and prevents the Germans from invading. There would have been no D Day and the world would be a very different place.

But more to the point, who will be the new Doctor Who?

I don’t know but The Master would be speaking German.

On 11/15/2021 at 8:51 PM, Alpo said:

While I'm pretty sure the war started in 12, we beat 'em in 15.

Just to keep the record straight. :P

The war was over before the Battle of New Orleans.  The news of the Treaty of Ghent didn't reach the combatants until after the battle.  Besides being a huge moral booster for the Americans it convinced the British to honor the treaty.

On 11/17/2021 at 5:08 PM, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

From what I have read, the British did not fathom the fact that this continent was so large that a guerrilla war would have lasted for years, upon years. They did not have the resources to fight a long war, over the vast distances involved. Plus the colonist's mindset had changed, over the years. There was a division among the colonists now. So much so, that in reality, our first "civil war", happened during the Revolutionary War, between those loyal to the Crown, and those that wanted independence from Britain. This "civil war" had nothing to do with slavery, but it pitted neighbor against neighbor, and it was brutal, and vengeful. It became a feud between communities, and families...and was very pronounced in the southern colonies. 

The British won a lot of battles, but ultimately they were going to lose. 

Later, when the "War of 1812" broke out, they faced different problems, and a more united opposition, and an opposition that would not be conquered. 

For the second time, they simply bit off more than they could chew, and they underestimated the problems they would, and did, face. 

Viva La Frogs!  Without their firearms & Navy the outcome would have been different.

22 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

And how many of the guns donated by American citizens as a stop gap were ever returned to their rightful owners?  I've only heard of one.

guns for Britain.jpg

On 11/15/2021 at 9:34 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Uh…didn’t we beat the Brits…twice? ;)

Of course, now we are allies. 

If anyone can beat the British it's more British!  Like we did when we decided to be not British anymore.  As the captain of the serapis said when finding out he had been beat by Americans, "it's diamond cut diamond".

Why is it difficult to beat the Brits?

Because they have/had the Gurkhas, the British Indian Army, the Australians & the New Zealanders helping them*!

*As well as the Canadians, South Africans and Africans from the various British colonies

14 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

The war was over before the Battle of New Orleans.  The news of the Treaty of Ghent didn't reach the combatants until after the battle.  Besides being a huge moral booster for the Americans it convinced the British to honor the treaty.

Treaty of Ghent
Signing of Treaty of Ghent (1814).jpg
The leading British delegate Lord Gambieris shaking hands with the American leader John Quincy Adams. The British Undersecretary of State for War and the Colonies, Henry Goulburn, is carrying a red folder.
Type Bilateral peace treaty
Signed December 24, 1814
Location Ghent, Sovereign Principality of the United Netherlands
Ratified February 17, 1815
Original
signatories
23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png United Kingdom
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States_%281795-1 United States

The Treaty of Ghent (8 Stat. 218) was the peace treaty that ended the War of 1812 between the United States and the United Kingdom. It took effect in February 1815. Both sides signed it on December 24, 1814, in the city of Ghent, United Netherlands (now in Belgium). The treaty restored relations between the two parties to status quo ante bellum by restoring the prewar borders of June 1812.[note 1][1]

The treaty was approved by the British Parliament and signed into law by the Prince Regent (the future King George IV) on December 30, 1814. It took a month for news of the treaty to reach the United States, during which American forces under Andrew Jackson won the Battle of New Orleans on January 8, 1815. The treaty did not take effect until the US Senate advised and consented to ratification, which occurred unanimously on February 16, 1815.[2] US President James Madison ratified the treaty, and ratification was exchanged on February 17, 1815.[2]

The treaty began more than two centuries of mostly-peaceful relations between the United States and the United Kingdom despite a few tense moments, such as the Aroostook War in 1838-39, the Trent Affair in 1861, and the Fenian raids in 1866-1871.

On 11/17/2021 at 7:49 PM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

While I keep hearing people say that the Brits promised to return them to their original owners afterwards I haven't seen any proof of such in print. AFAIK they were all dumped in the sea after the war.

21 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

While I keep hearing people say that the Brits promised to return them to their original owners afterwards I haven't seen any proof of such in print. AFAIK they were all dumped in the sea after the war.

There was at least one. Was on the cover of American Rifleman a few years ago. 

Archived