SASS Wire Forum

Favorite cowboy or western movies

Blazing Saddles (sorry, couldn't resist)

Tombstone

The Outlaw Josey Wales

Silverado

Open Range

El Dorado

Rio Bravo

Big Jake

The Quick and the Dead (The Louis L'amour movie)

The Fastest Gun Alive

Open Range; Last Stand at Sabre River; The Sacketts; Silverado; Crossfire Trail, and really anything the Duke was in.

As much as I love the Ford Cavalry trilogy, I have to put "Ride the High Country" as my all time favorite. (Probably).

It really was a landmark movie for the time and I don't think anybody really knew it. It was Scott's and McCrea's last film and they flat out nailed it.

It also was the end of an era for traditional westerns and opened the door for everything to come from the "Wild Bunch" to the Italians and beyond.

"All I want is to enter my house justified."

14 hours ago, Hendo said:

"All I want is to enter my house justified."

My favorite Western movie line. From the parable of the Pharisee and the publican; Luke 18.

Sam Peckinpah was a preacher's son and it shows in many of his movies.

Billy the Kid vs Dracula!

Just kidding.... All the ones that came immediately to mind have already been listed.... and have seen everything already listed as well!

Come on pards, list something I haven't seen yet so I can pop a bucket of popcorn and enjoy something that is new to me! :)

RIo Grande

Tombstone

The Searchers

Red River

Hostiles

Open Range

Appaloosa

Also, 

The Westerner

Along Came Jones  (What can I say, I'm a Gary Cooper fan)

Hard to compare and chose the best from such different movies made over the decades from Stagecoach to The Hateful 8 etc.

For my all time favorite so far, I'd go with The Missouri Breaks. I just love the feel, the authenticity of this movie, and Lloyd's and Nicholson's acting.

Some other great movies not mentioned yet in the thread:

• Il grande silenzio (The Great Silence)
  • High Plains Drifter
  • Quién sabe? (A Bullet for the General)
  • Hang ’Em High
  • Sweet Country

I have to say that there are a lot of classics waiting in my DVD and BR collection still waiting for me to be seen, but I kind of save them up for the upcoming years.

Btw, all time weirdest movie by far: El Topo

So long, Equanimous Phil

Well in a twisted sort of way I really enjoyed The Ballad Of Cable Hogue with Jason Robards. Seeing Stella Stevens naked in a bathtub at the age I was  (16) really left an impression.

Robert Mitchum - Movie: Blood on the Moon.

Kirk Douglas - Movies: Across the Great Divide, The Big Sky, The Indian Fighter

James Stewart - Movies; Winchester '73, Broken Arrow, Bend of the River, The Naked Spur, The Far Country, The Man from Laramie, Night Passage, Two Rode Together, The Man who shot Liberty Valance, Shenandoah. 

Alan Ladd - Movies: Shane, Whispering Smith, Branded, Drum Beat, The Proud Rebel, The Badlanders

Old Henry!!! 2021 brand new and dang good!!! Just watched it. Love all the selections Unforgiven is probably my favorite but the fact that Young Guns isn't on the list yet makes me feel Young at 41. Haha

Archived