SASS Wire Forum

Vets, how do you reply when thanked for your Service

Saw an article that said 49% of Vets polled did not like to be thanked for their service.  One of the reasons that was give was Vets didn't know how to reply to being thanked.

Not sure how 'fair and balanced' the poll was but that's not important for this thread.

Question at hand:

What do you say in response to being thanked for serving your Country?

I always reply, "It was an honor to serve."  

Some of us tend to think that it’s insincere or too late. Not everyone in the past was a military hating hippie. I know my family wasn’t. I accept their thanks usually with a simple You’re welcome.

Here are some cards I received from the elementary school kids last Thursday.

My heart just doesn’t have any room for Bitterness.

664A460E-B0D4-4EF7-9C36-0257ABFA5183.jpeg

I tell people that I knew Lowes would be eventually giving me a 10% discount if I served, and with the amount I spend on tools and building supplies, it just made sense.:lol:

I guess I am in it feels awkward column but I am proud. I remember the first time I went to a school event and they asked for all vets to stand up to be honored. I stood up and my teenage son gave me the weirdest look. "I didn't know you were a vet!" Somehow 15 years of stories of how his mom and I met when the CG cutter I was on docked in the Bahamas at the same time as the cruise ship she was on just didn't sink in.

I thank them back. Now. 

Often I look them directly in the eyes and I have to say that I truly believe that 9 times out of 10 they are definitely sincere. That was when I started really appreciating it. 

I just say thanks for your acknowledgement.

I believe the people thanking me are sincere, and I don't want to discourage them.

Lots of guys and gals did a lot more than I did that really deserve thanks.

I just rode around in a big boat and fixed aircraft. 

My service started during Viet Nam and when the, 'Thank you for your service,' trend started I was glad to see it, but a little reluctant to take it as a sincere gesture when it came my way as well as a little pissed that it took so long.

I also went through the awkward phase, mumbling something about, 'Glad to do it,' or, 'Thanks'.

But I decided that daggone it, the men and women I've served with, and the ones who have served and are serving, deserve better than me treating it like no big deal or like I'm embarrassed about it. 'Cause mostly, the people thanking me have no idea who I am, other than some random guy who's in front of them for some reason, they just found out or figgered out that I am a veteran, and whether it's because of a store policy, because of a personal connection with someone else they know, or because their Daddy told them they should, they have thanked me, and through me they thanked the millions of my brothers and sisters who have worn the uniform.

'Thank you. I was honored to serve.'

I just say "It was my priviledge."  I do agree that it somewhat aggravates me because it seems so canned and politically correct.  I'm thinking about saying "I heard the draft is coming back, so maybe your kids will get to serve!"

My honor and privilege......

On 11/16/2021 at 4:01 PM, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Is wishing someone a happy birthday canned or being politically correct? It’s a polite social convention and thanking one for their service has become the same thing. The polite thing to do is say thank you or you’re welcome. No need to be snarky.

Telling someone happy birthday is a simple tradition that follows from living; we all get a birthday.

Someone who never served a day in their life thanking me for my service has no real idea what he's even thanking me for or what my service meant to me or my country.  It's always going to be awkward for me no matter what people think.

Well I didn't serve because I was in the draft lottery of 1970.  It's the only lottery I ever won.

But I do appreciate and admire the veterans --either by choice or demand--served or are serving.

I believe most of the people that thank veterans for their service ARE sincere.  We DO appreciate that they go out there and keep our country safe.  Not just the guys that go out there and dodge the bullets but the ones that sit behind a desk or drive a truck.  They are all serving their country.

Just smile and say "thanks".  

Dr. O. R.

I just smile and say "You're welcome, it was my honor." and move on.

Whether they mean it or not is not for me to decide, it may just be a

reflex like saying "Bless You" after a sneeze, but politeness demands politeness.

SC

On 11/19/2021 at 2:46 PM, Chacón said:

Telling someone happy birthday is a simple tradition that follows from living; we all get a birthday.

Someone who never served a day in their life thanking me for my service has no real idea what he's even thanking me for or what my service meant to me or my country.  It's always going to be awkward for me no matter what people think.

Maybe that someone who never served lost a relative or has a child in service. You never know.

Outwardly, I usually say thanks for saying that...just to be polite.

Inwardly, you might as just as well say: "have a nice day", or "nice day today".  I prefer not to be acknowledged, or thanked. 

I served, and would do so again. 

However, when I got back from overseas, in 1972, we were greeted at the airport with jeers, called murderers, baby killers, spit on, some threw things at us. When off base, we never wore our uniform, because we did not want the negative attention, and the hassle, but we got it anyway, because of our short hair length, and I suppose, our mannerisms.

I wasn't drafted, I joined. I did not know what I wanted to do, and I did not know what to major in, in college, so I decided to join the military, and do my duty to my country. Dad was a veteran, and I wanted to be as well. A lot of us even believed we might make a difference.   

I am very glad that today's veterans are cheered...and warmly, and genuinely greeted, and appreciated, not only when they are coming back to the States, but also, when they are at the airports leaving for overseas duty. A few years back, our Cowboy Church had a team that regularly went to the DFW airport to greet military men and women, either coming home, or going overseas. I have even seen former President Bush, and Laura Bush, at the airport, and greet the military folks as they were coming off the plane. He, and Laura made me proud. 

Much too late for me, but not for the veterans of today. It is important to honor them, and thank them, so they will have positive memories, later on, in their lives, and not negative ones. 

There ya go.

W.K.

On 11/20/2021 at 5:13 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Maybe that someone who never served lost a relative or has a child in service. You never know.

Maybe, but having a relative or child who served or even died in service doesn't inform them of what the experience is like.

Veteran culture is really about each other, the men and women next to us, not some glory from civilians.

I tell them it was a pleasure to serve to be polite, but deep down, I wish all of them would leave the holidays for us.  I definitely feel that way about Memorial Day, I swear if one more person wishes me a "happy" memorial day, I may do something I'll regret.

Thank You all!!!! Reading this made quite an impression on me because I never liked to be thanked and really didn't want to be thanked.  I enlisted because I wanted to, I fought because I wanted to.  It was my mother that suffered.  I was wounded twice in 1965 while serving near Da Nang and Chu Li.  I was again wounded twice at Hue in 1968.  She broke down when the staff car pulled into the driveway the last time. Then the stress of the phone calls and the letters wishing me dead.  I have a very bad attitude and when thanked I wonder where were you when my Mother laid on the floor sobbing.  I chose to be were I was, doing what I was doing.  I have lived with the guilt of causing my Mother that pain but the anger at the people that made it worse with their harassment of a lady who's only crime was having a baby boy that wanted to be a Marine. 

Archived