SASS Wire Forum

umpiring milestone!

Cyrus Cassidy #45437

Yours truly attended an umpire school hosted by the Umpire Training Institute in Phoenix this past weekend.  As part of the training, some of us got to umpire a college scrimmage at the Arizona State University field.  Yes, it was only a scrimmage, but it was intense because 1- the players took it very seriously, as they were competing for starting varsity positions, 2- none of us had ever called a collegiate game before, and 3- pitches were as fast as 93 mph, about 10 mph faster than I've ever seen.  Keep in mind, ASU has a long history of winning college world series championships; baseball is everything at this school

The picture is yours truly calling a strike.  The assessment I received was overwhelmingly positive on my plate mechanics and zone.  They're not hiring collegiate umpires out of this school (it was a 2-man school, used at the high school level; college uses either 3-man or 4-man).  But I made a lot of connections, got my name out there, and gained valuable experience.

UTI.jpeg

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Cool! Congratulations! :)

Do umpires no longer wear the chest protectors that protected the chest and abdomen?

You're talking about the big pillow they held on the outside of their shirts?  Pard, that went away 40 years ago!

1 hour ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

You're talking about the big pillow they held on the outside of their shirts?  Pard, that went away 40 years ago!

:lol: I guess I am a little behind the times...

7 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

:lol: I guess I am a little behind the times...

Although you'll notice I look twice the size as I normally do in that picture...because chest protectors are now under the shirt.  I've been tagged with pitches in the low 80s, and even with a chest protector, it still hurts!

17 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Although you'll notice I look twice the size as I normally do in that picture...because chest protectors are now under the shirt.  I've been tagged with pitches in the low 80s, and even with a chest protector, it still hurts!

Ahhh, that’s why you need two outfits, one for home and one for the infield.

5 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Ahhh, that’s why you need two outfits, one for home and one for the infield.

Two of each color.  And since I umpire for various associations, I think that means I own a total of 18 umpire shirts and two plate coats (the thing that looks like a suit jacket with big pockets for baseballs), and six pairs of pants. 

Regarding pants, there are some designed for working the bases, and others designed for working the plate (because there are shin guards under there, too!). 

42 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Two of each color.  And since I umpire for various associations, I think that means I own a total of 18 umpire shirts and two plate coats (the thing that looks like a suit jacket with big pockets for baseballs), and six pairs of pants. 

Regarding pants, there are some designed for working the bases, and others designed for working the plate (because there are shin guards under there, too!). 

You think?  Have done an inventory?

14 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

You think?  Have done an inventory?

Top of my head guess.  Our spare bedroom closet has become storage for my umpire gear.  If we have guests, they don't have a closet!

Archived