SASS Wire Forum

Because Gateway asked...

Singin' Sue 71615

So this Dodge...

It is a 2005(?) RAM

pre DEF...

Have to ask Shanley the specs.

BUT...

Filling up at Bayfield, Co to come home...and YOU sir, know that route well!!!

I went from Bayfield ,Co to Espaniola, NM on less than 1/4 tank. 

That is 167.9 miles.

And yes, over 30 mpg!!!

Just barely tagged the 1/4 tank mark when I pulled in the driveway...235.0 miles.

So...guess the big guy us the auto we will use during this administration!

(Looks like someone didn't like the Biden sticker)

20211114_131015.jpg

20211114_162107.jpg

20211114_162129.jpg

20211114_171444.jpg

I liked my 1999 Dodge 3/4 ton. 

It got great mileage....around 28 mpg on the highway, as I recall. 

But the plastic dash just disintegrated into dozens of broken pieces, after a couple of years. Then diesel went up, big time. So, I eventually donated it to a charity, and got a token tax write-off. It had a six-speed standard transmission, 360 C.I. Cummins, in-line six. My left leg was very muscular from pushing that clutch in, to change gears. Long wheel-base. It was loud, and sounded like a tank coming down the street. 

I loved it, but just could not afford the diesel, or the repairs. 

Sounds like you have a really good one. Like as not, a lot better one than you could buy, right now. 

I always name my vehicles. 

My Dodge diesel was named: "Biscuit", after the horse, "Seabiscuit". 

That's great mileage! I've got a Buick Encore with a 4 cyl Turbo and I get about that city and hwy combined.

10 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

I liked my 1999 Dodge 3/4 ton. 

It got great mileage....around 28 mpg on the highway, as I recall. 

But the plastic dash just disintegrated into dozens of broken pieces, after a couple of years. Then diesel went up, big time. So, I eventually donated it to a charity, and got a token tax write-off. It had a six-speed standard transmission, 360 C.I. Cummins, in-line six. My left leg was very muscular from pushing that clutch in, to change gears. Long wheel-base. It was loud, and sounded like a tank coming down the street. 

I loved it, but just could not afford the diesel, or the repairs. 

Sounds like you have a really good one. Like as not, a lot better one than you could buy, right now. 

I always name my vehicles. 

My Dodge diesel was named: "Biscuit", after the horse, "Seabiscuit". 

We have the Big Boy and Momma's Truck...a 2500 Chevy Siverado that was my momma's....

Chevy took a full tank pulling the camp trailer (Microlite 20')

Oh well...Momma's truck will be great for around town!

Driving a diesel..........carry extra fuel filters and know how to change them beside the road, and have the tools needed to do the job.  Change them every oil change so you don't have to do it by the road. If possible, don't use bio-diesel.  In cold weather run anti gel in the fuel.  Plug the block heater in in cold weather and keep good batteries.....don't run   them till they die and take the starter with them.  Pre-DEF is a great advantage.  You have a great diesel engine with a proven track record, have it serviced by someone who knows how to care for diesels. Service and parts will cost more, but neglect will kill  any savings in fuel.  The auto transmission is a weak link in the older Dodges, again, if it acts up take it to a independent shop that knows the product. Don't forget the extra fuel filters!

Archived