SASS Wire Forum

'57 Buick Station Wagon

Subdeacon Joe

Wonder why they lowered it so much? I would not be able to get in and out of my driveway as low as that front bumper is.

Kinda defeats the purpose of a bumper when you have it set so low then it goes underneath the car that hit you.

I also don't like the fins. Makes it look like the station wagon top with WAS, otto, NOT WITH an afterthought on a '57 Bel Air.

38 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Wonder why they lowered it so much? I would not be able to get in and out of my driveway as low as that front bumper is.

Kinda defeats the purpose of a bumper when you have it set so low then it goes underneath the car that hit you.

I also don't like the fins. Makes it look like the station wagon top with an afterthought on a '57 Bel Air.

I'm betting it has an air suspension. 

44 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I just plain hate the "lowered" look. Always have. Especially on a truck. On all the "car shows", when they're working on something the first thing they want to do is "Slam it to the Ground". If I were on one, I'd be saying "Get it up OFF the ground".

And no 22" wheels either. Most of the car they're working on had 15" wheels on them new, and would probably still look fine with 15s.

I'm not a fan of the lowered look, nor the pickups that are so tall that you need an extension ladder to climb in.  But I do admire the good workmanship and care that go into projects like this.

That's one of the great things about America.  He doesn't have to build it to get into Alpo's driveway, or to please CJ's taste, or my taste.  He can build it to suit himself

17 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I'm not a fan of the lowered look, nor the pickups that are so tall that you need an extension ladder to climb in.  But I do admire the good workmanship and care that go into projects like this.

That's one of the great things about America.  He doesn't have to build it to get into Alpo's driveway, or to please CJ's taste, or my taste.  He can build it to suit himself

My thinking exactly. I've heard so many people say "if it were my [car][truck][firearm][scale model][etc...] I would..." and my knee jerk reaction is "well it's not yours, so get your own and go do that."

38 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

18 minutes ago, DocWard said:

My thinking exactly. I've heard so many people say "if it were my [car][truck][firearm][scale model][etc...] I would..." and my knee jerk reaction is "well it's not yours, so get your own and go do that."

That's one of the great things about America. We can all have differing opinions and still get along. While I might not care for it, Like Subdeacon Joe, I too appreciate the work and craftsmanship that go into such a project. And I agree with Doc Ward: it's not mine, the owner CAN do as he pleases. I wouldn't want most of what I see on T.V. anyway.  I have my Jeep, and that's what I want. There are a lot of discussions on the Jeep Forums about modding a Jeep, and no two Jeeps are alike except for the ones left stock, and that's O.K. too. (Most of us DETEST angry bird grills, though). 

I don't like Glocks either, but I know that they are some of the best handguns available. (Sometimes I like to get into the 1911 vs Glock discussions to see how far some guys will go to defend their choice).

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

I also don't like the fins. Makes it look like the station wagon top with an afterthought on a '57 Bel Air.

But....but....but!  It's a '57!  It's just GOTTA have fins.

About the only things that didn't have fins were Volkswagens and MGs............and most school buses and Cat earth moving critters.

I’d drive the wheels off of it!!  Then I would find some wheels I like!!

Both Olds and Buick made 4 door hardtop wagons. They were very stylish for the times and one could argue they were better looking than the Chevy Nomad and Pontiac Safari.

1957 Buick Century Caballero Estate Wagon Press Ad 10 x 19 Photograph | eBay

http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/members/temp/IMG1b4d01032b61abc6409c4e1bbdb6644f.jpg

The car was actually built in Pennsylvania, around 2014, by a Pennsylvania custom car builder.  It does in fact have air suspension and when driven on the street, lifts to normal ride height.  Custom fabricated chassis, four link suspension, custom front suspension and steering.  383ci engine.  Incredible build.

3 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

The car was actually built in Pennsylvania, around 2014, by a Pennsylvania custom car builder.  It does in fact have air suspension and when driven on the street, lifts to normal ride height.  Custom fabricated chassis, four like suspension, custom front suspension and steering.  383ci engine.  Incredible build.

That would be four “LINK” suspension.  Basically what came under most GM cars from the middle sixties ‘til the late ninties, and is popular in modified form amongst drag racers everywhere!!

The car is a work of art!!  No matter what your tastes, the builder produced a top quality ride!!

On 11/14/2021 at 2:40 PM, Alpo said:

It's been "bagged". The suspension has air bags all around. When the need to drive it the fill the bags and raise the car. It's a thing right now.

1 hour ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

It's been "bagged". The suspension has air bags all around. When the need to drive it the fill the bags and raise the car. It's a thing right now.

I think that it's been a "thing" since the 90s at the very least. the Hot Rod magazines have had "low riders" on the cover since the 70s. Whether they were bagged or not I don't know. As I said before, no interest. The car "reality" shows have been doing their versions of them since "reality" shows became a thing.

"If this car isn't done by the end of the week we're going to lose the shop!"

She's a beauty!!!  But I'd have her lifted a 3 or 4 inches. ;)

Brought back some memories.  58' Buick Estate Wagon still had fins in the back,  stopped putting holes in the front fenders, Dynaflo transmission.  Built like a tank. Dad traded in his 55 Buick convertible he bought when he got back from Japan.  Ended up learning to drive on that one.jer2.jpg.fd331b43dc1f96ffa0ec23b7864ff229.jpg

Archived