SASS Wire Forum

Every day compulsions.

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

How many of you are compulsive about every day things?

All the knives in my knife block are put away with the cutting edge up or to the left.

Glasses are put away up side down, but cups are stacked right side up.

Everything in the fridge has a place of its own.  Make it easier to find and to see when I need to buy more

When I rebuild the kitchen I had the garbage grinder put in the left sink.  It had been in the right sink and it always felt wrong.

I chop most produce into 1/4" pieces and freeze them: onions, peppers, mushrooms, cabbage, peas, corn etc.  Asparagus, lettuce, and tomatoes don't work all that well.

I cut a package on bacon across the middle, put it into two Zip Loc quart bags, one to keep in the meat drawer, the other to freeze.

All of my shirts  and coats are hung button side to the right.  Every day shirts on the left end, work shirts on the right, dress and costume shirts on the other side of the closet.

I almost always have a spare carton of eggs, three or more pounds of butter, spare bottles of milk, OJ, and apple juice.  Never know when someone will drop in and I have to have something to feed them.

What are your habits? 

Sounds like yours is efficiency, not compulsion!

Looks good to me!

In business terms, this is called 5S. There is a place for everything and everything is in it's place. I used to work at a company that adopted this to the extreme, including that nothing could be touching the floor. So, at the expense of tens of thousands of dollars we built racks to hold trash cans a few inches off the floor. We installed stainless steel 4'x4' sheets glued to the floor so that dunnages (plastic pallets with collapsible sides) could sit on the steel sheet and not the "floor". I had to hang two $30 inspection lights using $1400 worth of extruded aluminum strut because it was specified in the 5S standards. Within 18 months they decided to move the plant to Mexico because it was too expensive to operate in Indiana!!! I bet they didn't follow 5S in Tijuana!!!

4 hours ago, Cholla said:

In business terms, this is called 5S. There is a place for everything and everything is in it's place. I used to work at a company that adopted this to the extreme, including that nothing could be touching the floor. So, at the expense of tens of thousands of dollars we built racks to hold trash cans a few inches off the floor. We installed stainless steel 4'x4' sheets glued to the floor so that dunnages (plastic pallets with collapsible sides) could sit on the steel sheet and not the "floor". I had to hang two $30 inspection lights using $1400 worth of extruded aluminum strut because it was specified in the 5S standards. Within 18 months they decided to move the plant to Mexico because it was too expensive to operate in Indiana!!! I bet they didn't follow 5S in Tijuana!!!

We went through that phase where I worked. But when it came time to fund all these projects it was decided we would manage with what we had . 

I am the same way. I have a system and I like it. 
I set up my kitchen knives a certain way. 
I put things in the fridge a certain way. 
I arrange all my stuff a certain way in my closet and dresser drawers. 
My loving wife has no system and messes my kitchen and clothing system up all the time, but I love her so I let it slide…she is not permitted to mess up my system in my garage or the gun room. On this she knows I am serious. Whoa be into me if I mess with her messy system though. :lol:

There IS a right way to load a dishwasher.

I have to brush my teeth in a certain order with my Sonicare brush; lower left, upper left, upper right, lower right.

I have to read the funnies left column first, top to bottom,  then the right column, bottom to top.

I'm picky about cleaning guns too.

2 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

There IS a right way to load a dishwasher.

I have to brush my teeth in a certain order with my Sonicare brush; lower left, upper left, upper right, lower right.

I have to read the funnies left column first, top to bottom,  then the right column, bottom to top.

I'm picky about cleaning guns too.

I wish you lived closer....I could happily feed your compulsion :) 

Most of my life is loved in a state of functional chaos, but my one slight compulsion is small electrical for chargers or earphones.

There is a certain way I like to wrap them so they’re a tight self contained bundle.  That way they don’t get tangled in a drawer and are ready to be unwrapped and used when I want them.

My cooking knives don't go in the sink or dish washer.  I had wash them, and put them up immediately after use.  They're not expensive ones, but I've gotten over 10 years out of them by taking care of them.  And my mechanics tools have to go back in the proper place after use.  

What do you call someone who will organize a tool drawer or their music equipment down to the last wire tie and screwdriver, but will quit for the day with tools, parts, and scrap metal laying all over??

When I worked on the line, my tools were collected after every job and at the end of the day and cleaned, wiped down, and put in an exact location in my toolbox. I still pick up most evenings and after a major operation is completed, but nowadays, I’m likely to just shut everything off, turn off the stuff that can’t be left running, turn out the lights, and lock the doors.

Am I, (shudder!) reformed OCD??  :ph34r:  :lol:

2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I have places for things. During a recent hospital stay, folks came in and cleaned up, put stuff away, maybe even threw them away. I did replace some things that I couldn’t find, found some later.

I put the kibosh on that after my first extended hospital stay!!  I told everyone who had access to the shop that if I found ANYTHING disturbed in my work area or any tools missing or damaged, I would seek out the culprit and roast their skull over a fire fueled with used differential oil!

When I returned after the two month hospital stay over the holidays in 2019/20, there were cobwebs on my projects and toolboxes!!  :lol: :o

I write left to right and top to bottom. I'm not going to change that for anyone.

• I generate messes until I can't stand it.
  • Clean up and organize.
  • Repeat as desired. 
  • B)

Forty, I used to be like you and then I decided it was just too much trouble to be that way. I do like to keep things neat and tidy, but I'm no longer OCB or 5S as Cholla calls it. 

The company I worked for in Phoenix tried the 5S experiment, all of us in the lab just laughed and ignored their attempts, the company finally gave up on trying to implement %S.

Oh boy - yeah got some of those myself.  Tools have a specific place for each

and they go there at the end of the day, or when I'm transitioning from one

stage of the project to another. 

Shop floor gets vacuumed at end of each day working out there.

Parts of the shop are for reloading, parts for general purpose, parts for wood working only.

Won't walk out the door without phone and house keys.

Won't leave the property without wallet, phone, keys, knife, gun, 1-2 spare magazines.

Shirts are always buttons on the right, and sorted by dark to light colors.  Likewise trousers.

I want to be able to bring a set of trousers over to the shirts and see which works.

Shirts on the left, trousers on the right side of the closet.

Kitchen knives are washed and dried after use, then into the block with edge to the right,

as I grab with my right hand.  Glasses mouth down, cups mouth up. All pots, pans and skillets

on the right side, all baking goods and equipment on the left side of Kitchen.  No dishwasher -

we do it all by hand and no dirty dishes left for morning.

In the freezer - Beef top shelf, chicken and pork second shelf, veg and stock to the bottom.

Each gun is stored in the safe with one magazine (if appropriate), all other magazines are in

nylon carriers and stored with the ammo.  All guns are put away clean.  Every gun is inspected

and cleaned, or at least wiped down before putting away. 

My beautiful bride has her own habits, and a few I've adopted from her. 

We never tried to change each others habits, they're part of what makes us who we are.

SC

About the only organized part of my day is that I hang my car keys up on the same hook every time. The key rack is right inside the door as you come in from the garage and I never lose my keys, Mrs. Lose on the other hand will not hang her keys up there even though there are plenty of empty hooks (18 all together) and a couple of times a week we’ll do a key search because she’s misplaced her keys. 

I will check several times to make sure the kitchen faucet is off before leaving the house. Sometimes I'll check it, start to leave then think I didn't really clearly see that it was off and go back and check again. I used to do the same with locking the front door.

At work I noticed a buddy locking his locker and he was going through a routine. I knew he had the same problem with being sure it was locked.

Archived