SASS Wire Forum

Ronco

Sedalia Dave

What would our TV viewing be like without the infomercials that daily introduce us to the latest and greatest product since sliced bread? The concept of the infomercial and its evolution into the Ås Seen On TV phenomena can be traced to inventor, Ron Popeil. Popeils creativeness led him to found the Ronco company, known for such amazing products as the Chop-O-Matic and the Pocket Fisherman. The fun that was poked at these nutty products and associated informercials was nothing compared to their popularity and success.

How many of you bought something from Ron Popeil?

If so what was it?

I had both the Pocket Fisherman when I was a kid and the Chop O Matic was in kitchen after my mother bought it. I bought a copy of the Chop O Matic about 10 - 15 years ago. Still use it on occasion. I'm sure I had some other Ronco items, just don't remember what they were now.

Edit - Also have the "Showtime" rotisserie oven. It actually makes great chicken, etc...pretty noisy though. My gal has all kinds of kitchen gadgets that some of them are probably Ronco products.

Picked up his "Set it and forget it" oven for $5 at garage sale.    Makes some of the best chicken, never found anything else but chicken was superb    GW

I kept a Pocket Fisherman in my Jeep when I was a Park Ranger.

For emergency purposes of course. ;)

They had a gadget that cleaned vinyl records that worked pretty well.

I don't know if they were his or not, but I bought a set of ginsu knives at Kmart. I used to have a set of ShamWow. Don't know what happened to them. They were real good.

I had a Pocket Fisherman. I actually caught fish with it. The line it came with was awful, as was the hooks and lures. I trashed them and put new line on it. You couldn’t cast far but far enough. I hooked a carp that basically tore the guts out of it but I did get the carp to shore to remove the hook and turn it loose. 

My Mom had a Chop-O-Matic. If I remember correctly she got it when I got my pocket fisherman for Christmas. That thing really worked well. 

Holy Cow! You can still get the pocket fisherman from Ronco. 
https://www.ronco.com/collections/ronco-products

My spouse bought a little plastic hair trimmer, that you put a double-edged razor blade in, and you comb your hair with it, and it trims your hair. You can reverse the blade, in the device, for trimming sideburns.

She still has it, and still uses it on me, once in a while. 

I do try not to make her mad before she uses it on me. 

7 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

My spouse bought a little plastic hair trimmer, that you put a double-edged razor blade in, and you comb your hair with it, and it trims your hair. You can reverse the blade, in the device, for trimming sideburns.

She still has it, and still uses it on me, once in a while. 

I do try not to make her mad before she uses it on me. 

I used to have one of those. Worked pretty well.

Horace

Archived