SASS Wire Forum

WTC

Hoss

Rifle called for 10 + 1. Shoot first 10 then load one and shoot buzzard at about 30 yds for a 5 second bonus. 

Shooter successfully shoots sweep, loads one, click. Loads another click. Ejects shell. (Apparently broken firing pin) Goes to shotgun, completes stage 

obviously no bonus, but was it a 5 second miss? I thought no, as he had loaded the 11th round & engaged the target, others thought miss as he did not fire the 11th round. 

and please no discussion about bonus targets. That was the scenario we were asked to shoot. 

Rifle called for 10 + 1. Shoot first 10 then load one and shoot buzzard at about 30 yds for a 5 second bonus.

5-second MISS for the unfired 11th round.

A MISS is defined as the failure to hit the appropriate target type using the appropriate type of firearm and includes:

- Each missed target.

- Each unfired round

SHB p.21

There is no "Miss".

Bonus is a reverse scoring target...and yes...stoopid.

However, that 11th round must be fired. Therefore, the penalty is 10 seconds when measured against the competitor that hit the target...did I say I hate stoopid bonus targets?

Phantom

<RANT MODE ON>If I'm reading this right, it's a 5 second bonus and a miss?  That's a 10 second target.  Gads, I would not go back to a match that does that.  One shot hinges your placement for the match.  That's a REALLY expensive shot.  Just make it a shot, no bonus.  Scored just like every other shot.  Then it's not a "double" and worth 10 seconds for a miss (5 for missing the bonus, 5 for the miss).

DON'T let your MD/stage writer do that kind of crap.  <RANT MODE OFF>

The clubs I shoot at if there is a bonus target and you miss it, It is not a miss and they state that in the stage directions.so no double penalty.

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

and please no discussion about bonus targets. That was the scenario we were asked to shoot. 

"Rifle called for 10 + 1. Shoot first 10 then load one and shoot buzzard..."

Shooter only fired 10 of 11 required rounds = MISS.

8 hours ago, Major E A Sterner #12916 said:

The clubs I shoot at if there is a bonus target and you miss it, It is not a miss and they state that in the stage directions.so no double penalty.

Same here. He did engage the target. So does missing the bonus target count as a miss?

22 minutes ago, Uncle Ethan # 94321 said:

Same here. He did engage the target. So does missing the bonus target count as a miss?

The way the OT described it the ‘bonus’ target was not an option, so a miss is a miss 

On the other hand, considering the time for reloading and aiming at a 30-yard target, the shooter could well have come out ahead taking the miss, unless he was going for a clean match. 

OP did not say the shooter missed the target, OP stated the round did not go off. There is a difference.

39 minutes ago, Tn Tombstone said:

OP did not say the shooter missed the target, OP stated the round did not go off. There is a difference.

Under the SASS definition of a MISS, there is NO difference.

A MISS is defined as the failure to hit the appropriate target type using the appropriate type of firearm and includes:

- Each missed target.

- Each unfired round

SHB p.21

Miss – a failure to hit the appropriate target type using the appropriate firearm type. For further explanation of how to assess a miss, see “Miss Flow Chart” in this document. (See also “5-Second Penalties” section of the PENALTY OVERVIEW”)

SHB p.44

So if the stage instructions say "miss on bonus target does not count" then it would be no bonus only? I got no problem with that. Other than  dont like bonus targets either.

I don't think it should be a miss, he loaded and cocked and fired, click, then tried it again! I don't care what the rules say, benefit to the shooter for at least trying! TWO TIMES according to the OP. Geeeez...................:o

11 hours ago, Hoss said:

Did you really think that this wouldn't go there?:P

I don't see where it matters if it was a bonus target or not. Let's say it called for only 10 rifle and on shot #9 the firing pin broke and he could not fire round 10. He would have gotten a miss for target 10. In this case bonus or not it called for a rifle reload and firing at an 11th target. If he didn't fire at target 11 it's a miss.

19 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I don't think it should be a miss, he loaded and cocked and fired, click, then tried it again! I don't care what the rules say, benefit to the shooter for at least trying! TWO TIMES according to the OP. Geeeez...................:o

What "benefit"??
The shooter FAILED TO HIT the target (for whatever reason)...that's a
MISS.

Archived