SASS Wire Forum

Big Lube .45 Bullet Mold

Black Angus McPherson

I've been thinking about trying Frontier Cartridge on those days I don't feel like cleaning my cap and ball guns.  But I don't have big lube bullets for my .45 revolvers.

Where can I get .45 caliber big lube bullet molds?  Preferably 200 grain.  Does anyone have one they don't use anymore they'd like to get ride of cheap?

Angus

1 hour ago, John Boy said:

Big Lube Bullet Molds ….  http://www.biglube.com/

Big Lube Bullets. …  http://www.whyteleatherworks.com/BigLube.html   

Tried to buy an original big lube mold for 5 years. Have never seen one in stock. Finally gave up and bought the 44 Mav mould from Accurate

Which number mould is he calling the 44 MAV equivalent? I love my Accurate Molds but last I checked he did not cut lube grooves as deep as the original Big Lubes.

I shot .45 Colt blackpowder loads for several years without using Big Lube Bullets.  The home cast Lee 200 and 250 grain bullets work ok if you allow the lube to coat the bottom half of the bullet including the base, like a cookie, as well as the groove on the side.  I simply dipped the bullets into molten beeswax/Crisco to coat the entire bottom half of the bullet.  Some of the excess lube comes off in the seating and crimping dies, so wiping the bullets and cleaning the dies takes a few extra minutes.  But they worked fine. Try a few a see what you think.

J-Bar: you never had any problem with the lube on the bottom of the bullet contaminating the powder? I usually load a few months worth at a time and would be afraid of this happening. Seems like a bit of extra work also, especially since I load for 4 shooters in my family.

3 minutes ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

J-Bar: you never had any problem with the lube on the bottom of the bullet contaminating the powder? I usually load a few months worth at a time and would be afraid of this happening. Seems like a bit of extra work also, especially since I load for 4 shooters in my family.

I only loaded a few month's worth ahead of time, never stored them longer than that.  I stored them in regular 100 count boxes in a drawer inside my house, so they were kept at 65-70 degrees until taken to the range.  My lube was 50/50 Beeswax/Crisco, melted in a small crockpot, bullets dipped one at a time using surgical forceps to hold them and then allowing them to cool on a sheet of waxed paper.  I never shot 100 yard groups with these, but I earned more than one clean match with them.  I think any powder that stuck to the lube on the  bottom of the bullet burned anyway, so pressures must have been pretty constant.

If the cartridges had to sit in 100 degree temperatures for a long time then powder contamination might occur, I guess.  I just never experienced that.  

Ice packs in your cart could help keep ammo cool, as well as feeling good on the back of your neck!!  :D

Owned and sold years ago, the Big Lube PRS 250gr 45 Colt.  Determine I did not  need a lube star at the muzzle after shooting many stages in a day of black powder 

Been casting and shooting ever since the original Ideal 454190, 250gr for multiple stages with no need to clean the cylinders or they started to lock up.  Lube on bullets is sufficient without the excessive lube groove

8 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

Which number mould is he calling the 44 MAV equivalent? I love my Accurate Molds but last I checked he did not cut lube grooves as deep as the original Big Lubes.

Went to checked the catalog and apparently they no longer use Mav in the description.  However IIRC this is the bullet. 43-205C

The 43-215C is very similar

If you want the  dimensions adjusted they do so at no charge.

2 hours ago, John Boy said:

Owned and sold years ago, the Big Lube PRS 250gr 45 Colt.  Determine I did not  need a lube star at the muzzle after shooting many stages in a day of black powder 

Been casting and shooting ever since the original Ideal 454190, 250gr for multiple stages with no need to clean the cylinders or they started to lock up.  Lube on bullets is sufficient without the excessive lube groove

All depends on the length of your barrel.  I have BP bullet designs for my 44-40 that are just fine in a 20" barrel. However if I shoot them in a 24 or 26 in barrel I have to swab every stage or every other stage depending on the weather.

I had the 205-M made for me. More lube than the other 2, and I felt the 215-C nose was a tad too long for toggle action rifles. It certainly won't work in my Remington pistols, as they have shorter cylinders than Colts.  And Sedalia is right, most any BP lubed bullet will work in revolvers, it's rifles where they can run out of lube.

I'm too lazy to be swabbing barrels during a match, or carry ice packs in my guncart. I'm busy enough helping run the timer and keeping my wife and kid's guns running .

24 minutes ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

I had the 205-M made for me. More lube than the other 2, and I felt the 215-C nose was a tad too long for toggle action rifles. It certainly won't work in my Remington pistols, as they have shorter cylinders than Colts.  And Sedalia is right, most any BP lubed bullet will work in revolvers, it's rifles where they can run out of lube.

I'm too lazy to be swabbing barrels during a match, or carry ice packs in my guncart. I'm busy enough helping run the timer and keeping my wife and kid's guns running .

Thanks,  I am getting ready to buy a new 44-40 multi cavity and will try your design.

Thanks everybody.

New molds are pretty pricey for bullets I may only need once or twice a year.  I think I'll just keep an eye out for a good deal on a used one.

Since I'll only be using the bullets in a revolver, I think I'll try using a regular .45 bullet mold with BP lube and see how that works for me.  I've preferred the 250 grain .45's in the past, but with the increase in lead prices I'm going to 200 grainers.  It's like a "buy four, get one free" deal.

My rifle is a .44-40 and I've got a big lube mold for the .44's.

Angus 

Go to www.castboolits.gunloads.com  Lots of moulds come up for sale there.

I just use regular bullets and put a wad over powder and then turn upside down put a little finger nail of crisco and bees wax under bullet have to run through 2 times but it s not a big deal . I only shoot black powder about 30 monthly's a year so only about 3600 to load in winter not that bad

Archived