SASS Wire Forum

Dillon 750?

Snakebite

I'm giving some thought to getting a 750. I've been using a 650 for the past 100 years or so, and like. Has anyone made that move to a 750? Is it worth it? Do the 650 accessories, like case feeder fit on the 750?

I bet your old, familuar 650 friend, like you, has another 100 years left in it.  My motto with equipment in general is: If it still works well and parts are still available,  keep respecting, maintaining and using it.  (No comments please about my truck). 

IMO, at today's prices, a guy can go broke chasing better rainbows, and new equipment isn't always better or as durable, depending where and how it is made.  

From my understanding, the 750 has a different way of handling the primers than the 650.  This is suppose to be somewhat safer and/or more reliable.  Since both of my 650's seem to be working just fine, I see no need in spending the money to improve something that isn't an issue for me.  

25 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

From my understanding, the 750 has a different way of handling the primers than the 650.  This is suppose to be somewhat safer and/or more reliable.  Since both of my 650's seem to be working just fine, I see no need in spending the money to improve something that isn't an issue for me.  

My understanding too.

The rotary primer "merry go round" was replaced by the transfer bar system that the Square Deal B and 550 use.

I've never had a problem with my 650 that could not be attributed directly to operator error.

I have both a 650 and a 750 and I like them both.  Dillon told me that they changed the geometry on the 750 so it would run smoother and not spill powder.  I am not sure that the 750 works any better then the 650.  I like the primer feeder on the 750 because it is safer and it will not advance a second primer if there is already one staged to go into the case.  I solved that problem with my 650 by putting on a manual primer shut off I got on ebay, but you have to remember to shut it off and then turn it back on.  All the accessories for the 650 work on the 750.  I have the 750 set up for large primers and the 650 set up for small primers.  I no longer load much that uses large primers so I have been thinking about selling my 650 and just swap out the parts  in the 750 when I need to load something that uses large primers.  YMMV 

I have a 650 and 750. I actually fought the primer seating on my 750 more than the 650, but finally got it running smoothly.

If you have the 650 and it is running smooth, then don't change a thing. I have 10,000's of round on my 650 and still love it. I just bought the 750 to add a new caliber rather than changing things around every time.

8 hours ago, Flying K said:

I have a 650 and 750. I actually fought the primer seating on my 750 more than the 650, but finally got it running smoothly.

If you have the 650 and it is running smooth, then don't change a thing. I have 10,000's of round on my 650 and still love it. I just bought the 750 to add a new caliber rather than changing things around every time.

What trouble did you have with the primer seating on the 750 and how did you fix it?  I haven't used my 750 much but I haven't run into any problems with the primer seating.

I've had both, now I use two 750's. The 650 is a great machine, but the primer disk always caused me issues. It seems to me that there is less powder spillage with the 750, the 750 seems to run smoother as well. The accessories work on both machines. My intention was to keep the 650 as LPP and the 750 for SPP, but I was impressed enough to sell the 650 and get another 750. Both 750's were purchased locally, used from cowboy shooters in like new condition.

Tully

Humm. I have few problems with 650 that a good cleaning won't fix. I just got a email from Dillon saying they had them in stock and ready to ship. Got me all excited. I thought I might put a package together that included powder and primers for a turn key setup on my 650 and end up with a 750 for only small investment!

Oh yes.  Being that Dillon is the best reloading press out there, you must buy that 750. How could anyone thing of even trying to reload without the biggest and bestest one they make? 

I had problems with the 650 primer disk. Seemed I was always fighting it. Probably more my fault than the presses. 
I bought a 750, sold the 650. Upgrade cost me about 150. 
I had a bit of trouble with the 750, but a couple of calls to Dillon got me squared away. 

and yes case feeder and most accessories are the same. 

2 hours ago, Snakebite said:

Humm. I have few problems with 650 that a good cleaning won't fix. I just got a email from Dillon saying they had them in stock and ready to ship. Got me all excited. I thought I might put a package together that included powder and primers for a turn key setup on my 650 and end up with a 750 for only small investment!

Hm. I had some similar problems with my 650 not too long ago. After tearing into it, I replaced a cracked cartridge case slide base which gave me inconsistent case drops from the feed. Most of the springs in the primer assy and the detent ball spring under the shell plate, basically all the springs and most of the moving parts. You can send it to Dillon and they'll tune it up for free probably, but even though they're local to me, I just did it myself.

2 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Is the priming system on the 750 the same priming system as the 550?

Same principle.

One of my 650’s is 35 years old and the other is 8 years old. If I have any primer issues I clean and replace the little spring and the problem goes away. Like Phantom says ,would not replace them unless I wanted to spend money. I cant even guess how many rounds have been loaded off the old one. The 750 is smoother because of the roller, the 650 can be ungraded to the roller.

33 minutes ago, San Joaquin Shootist said:

I’m curious, is your press set up for you to sit or stand when you reload?

My bench is 32" high and I have the strong mount.  It is easier for me to stand using the press.

9 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

PLUS ONE for Phantom.

:P I had this under control until that "Guy" started throwing logic out.

2 hours ago, Hells Comin said:

I'm waiting for the new 850 auto load. 

It comes with a illegal  Haitian immigrant to pull the handle. 

Hells Comin 

I don't want no Haitian immigrant pulling my handle!:ph34r:

I got lucky and won a 750 at an annual match. I have both 650 and 750 setup on my bench. One is now large primer and the other small primer. 

I do like the primer setup on the 750 as I don’t have primers all over the bench/floor. 

Not sure I would pay for a 750 just to replace a 650. 

If I didn’t have a press yet, I would get the 750. 

Totes

I've been loading on 4 Square Deal presses (one for each most-used caliber) for years. Finally, the lure of a case feeder for .38 spl which with CAS has become a much larger volume requirement. Never owned a 550 or 650.  Almost a year in, I love my xl 750.  Primer system is same as my Square Deal presses, so I'm happy with that. The case feeder rocks. 

7 hours ago, Hells Comin said:

I'm waiting for the new 850 auto load. 

It comes with a illegal  Haitian immigrant to pull the handle. 

Hells Comin 

Do you know if we'll be able to pay a surcharge and choose the country of origin?

4 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

Do you know if we'll be able to pay a surcharge and choose the country of origin?

No, you cannot choose a Voodoo Doctor! The place is still terrified of chicken feet!

34 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

All u have to do is go down to the border and choose the one you'd like as they cross  The closed border.

Hells Comin 

A 650 works fine for me,  it doesn't have any inherent problems that are bothering me.  I change from small primer to large primer as needed, it is a good time to clean everything and make sure that everything is the way it should be.  A few years ago I had a problem with a few primers flipping over but putting the follower rod on the filler tube before dropping them in brought an end to that.

Also, for me reloading is not a speed event.

Blackfoot

Archived