SASS Wire Forum

Onions

Subdeacon Joe

I use a “Ronco” chopper. Available through TV adds in the 60’s. 
You cut the onion into 1/4’s, place the Ronco chopper over the section and pound away on the pommel until it is chopped as finely as you wish. Easy Peasy!
No mathematical analysis required! :D

CJ

1 hour ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

I use a “Ronco” chopper. Available through TV adds in the 60’s. 
You cut the onion into 1/4’s, place the Ronco chopper over the section and pound away on the pommel until it is chopped as finely as you wish. Easy Peasy!
No mathematical analysis required! :D

CJ

I bought one of the remakes about 10 years ago, they work great...just got to find it everytime that I want to use it.

Dice-O-Matic...was that what they called it?

55 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I do radial cuts toward the center. Many people watch me and think they are copying me as they make strictly vertical cuts. Their minds do not process what they watched.

I end up doing the 60 degree thing.

2 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Could Be. There is no label on it, so I don’t know. I think we inherited it from my wife’s family it’s that old. Still works and since I’m doing the cooking I use what’s easy for me. I just remember the TV adds from my yout. ;)

CJ

6 hours ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

I use a “Ronco” chopper. Available through TV adds in the 60’s. ...........
CJ

4 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

I believe it was a chop-a-matic.

...... shoulda called it a "thumpa-choppa"............   

10 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Somebody is a little too OCD about onions. ;)

My thought exactly. 

I also wondered if this was someone’s idea for chopping onions to show how there is consistency so they are easier to measure when ABC soup company makes soup. Their idea got them a promotion and the whole company now jumps through hoops to impress the management so they can get raises too. Their last idea was cutting the size of 16 ounce cans to 14 ounces without lowering prices to increase profit. :blink:

I really need a new fantasy life…

1 hour ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

...... shoulda called it a "thumpa-choppa"............   

LOL, I call it the ‘stomper chopper’. I had forgotten about Ronco until this thread.

CJ

11 hours ago, G W Wade said:

I am lazy, use a mandolin             GW

guitars make thicker slices.

11 hours ago, G W Wade said:

I am lazy, use a mandolin             GW

FYI     a cheap fillet glove - cut resistant $8,   is a wise investment if you use a mandolin     GW

I have a 4:

5" meat cleaver that I use for that sort of thing.  Most of my kitchen cutting though is done with some cheap Harbor Freight scissors.  The again I also use a tablespoon for spreading butter and I use a whisk on almost everything that needs stirring.

Being lazy and retired I look for the easiest way to do almost everything

17 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I rarely use anything more complicated than a knife because cleaning a knife only takes a second.

Me too. We have one of those chopper thingys that works great, but then you have to take it apart, wash it then reassemble (it's a little ornery.) I seldom use it.

JHC

17 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I rarely use anything more complicated than a knife because cleaning a knife only takes a second.

6 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Me too. We have one of those chopper thingys that works great, but then you have to take it apart, wash it then reassemble (it's a little ornery.) I seldom use it.

JHC

I use a knife 90%of the time.  If I want a lot of very thin slices I use my little Oxo mandolin, almost as easy to clean as a knife.

If I need like a dozen or more chopped fine I break out my V-slicer and use either the fries or julienne blade.  That takes a few minutes to clean.

There was a guy standing on the corner, with a sign that said: "will work for food".

I offered him an onion to paint my house. He gestured a decline.

Heck, I even offered him a Vidalia onion.

Maybe I should have offered to cut it for him, as well. 

Some Lustrum ago, I attended the Puyallup Washington Fair.  Wanted a Burger.  The ONLY condiment was grilled Puyallup Sweets Onions.  Absolutely DELICIOUS!!  Now I settle for Vadalia Sweets.  Some tasty you betcha. 

Archived