SASS Wire Forum

Banks watching gun purchases?

Lawdog Dago Dom

Buying out your neighbor's gun collection? 

A bill for banks to rat out customers.

Incredible.

https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/nssfgun-control-politicians-want-banks-to-snoop-on-gun-buyers/#more-200575

If they want to know what guns I have they can look at the forms I submitted. But that would be too easy, and besides, that’s not how commies take over. They get everyone to rat on one another. Gotta get that group-think going…

I'm at a loss (could be reading comprehension) after reading the article ... how ... the bank could tell it was a firearm or ammunition transaction.

Usually ... I purchase these things via credit card ... AND ... the transaction simply shows money paid to a particular vendor.

I have been purchasing 9mm ammo in bulk lately (1000 rounds / 20 boxes) and the credit card statement simply shows money paid to (as an example) Rodgers Sporting Goods. 

How would they know if I was purchasing bulk ammo or a case of duck decoys??

My most recent pistol purchase shows money paid to a Sporting Goods dealer ... and I paid the receiving FFL in cash. 

I am missing something somewhere ... perhaps they are going to make the vendors identify such purchases??!?

I haven’t had a Teller ask me what withdrawal money was for. My response probably wouldn’t be very nice and I think it would surprise me a bit. 
Now that I have thought about I believe I will say something like “What’s the money for? Why hookers and cocaine…what are you doing later?”

I took out a pretty good chunk of cash recently. The teller actually asked me what it was for. I asked him if he really needed to question me. His response was that depending on what I needed it for I might be better off getting a cashiers check. I just took the cash.

But I do realize that some older folks have been conned out of money through various scams and they could be concerned about something like that. Especially repeated withdrawals.

Wot @sassnetguy50 sez.  :(

These codes have been around for a loooong time, presumably for such innocent reasons as tracking purchases for cardholder rewards.  Codes could be easily added to the tables.  -_-

What are merchant category codes?

Merchant category codes became a requirement for businesses in 2004, per the IRS, which created them. In short, they are:

• Four-digit numbers that classify a business by what it sells or the service it provides. If the merchant sells or provides more than one thing, its code is typically based on the item or service that makes up the majority of the business (see below for exceptions).

• Assigned to a business by the payment networks — Visa, Mastercard, American Express and Discover — when that business sets up a credit card payment system. Card-issuing banks have no control over how these codes are assigned and can't change them.

• Generally standardized. A business with a home furniture store MCC typically registers as a home furniture store whether you're using a Mastercard, Visa, American Express or Discover.

How do MCCs work?

Purchases are automatically categorized by the MCC of a store when they're reported to your credit card issuer, which uses these codes to determine whether you get additional rewards.

Say you're shopping at a candy store, which according to the IRS list above would have an MCC of 5441, for "candy, nut and confectionery stores." If you buy something there with a card that offers bonus rewards in that category of spending, your card issuer will grant you those extra rewards based on that MCC.

We have a small town bank. Everybody knows everybody. I’f I made a big withdrawal they’d probably assume it was for farm equipment. If I said it was for guns they’d probably say “Cool. Whatcha gettin? I just got a new Browning .358 for Elk season” :lol:

11 hours ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

A few months ago, the teller "casually" asked me what the cash withdrawal was for. I said "Western Art".:P

I would have casually said, "None of your business M'am!!"

1 hour ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

This is no big deal to me.  I've been hiding gun purchases from the wife for years.  The federal government should be no challenge.

Sometimes it’s better to have to ask for forgiveness than permission 

10 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I haven’t had a Teller ask me what withdrawal money was for. My response probably wouldn’t be very nice and I think it would surprise me a bit. 
Now that I have thought about I believe I will say something like “What’s the money for? Why hookers and cocaine…what are you doing later?”

Please keep us updated on how the AHIDTA responds to that from the California immigrant.

10 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

You can get this for much less.

7DEBB600-B7D6-4F32-B8A3-105FD98F3FDD.png

4 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Please keep us updated on how the AHIDTA responds to that from the California immigrant.

I have no idea what that means. :)

Howdy,

Very simple is to have your response ready.

Antiques is always the answer.

Same as when I had the quiestest Camaro at the autocross....

Why wake a sleeping cop?

Dont start nothin wont be nothin....

Best

CR

On 11/12/2021 at 10:09 PM, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

A few months ago, the teller "casually" asked me what the cash withdrawal was for. I said "Western Art".:P

I would have smiled back at the teller and ignore the question by not answering.

Why worry about banks when we all carry a tattletale in our pocket that tracks location and can listen to your conversations?

1 hour ago, Texas Joker said:

Why worry about banks when we all carry a tattletale in our pocket that tracks location and can listen to your conversations?

Tattletale is rarely in my pocket.  Easy to leave in the cupholder and it sits on the counter a lot.  Where as the autodeposited checks require use of the bank to withdraw cash.

Hopefully this will be a booster for local shop sales where people can pay cash instead of internet stores.

Archived