SASS Wire Forum

Glad he was going the other way

Alpo

I'm on my way home from the grocery store, and I see a bicycle approaching me. He has something large and red in his right hand. It appears to be the big thermal pizza carrier, that pizza delivery guys use. I bet he's going to have to hustle to make that delivery in 30 minutes or less.

As he gets closer I see that it is not a pizza carrier. It is a 5 gallon gasoline can.

By the way he is holding it it is obviously not full of gasoline. But if it ever had gasoline in it before, it is most likely full of gasoline fumes.

And he's smoking a cigarette.

1 hour ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

So did you slow down to watch the mushroom cloud in your rear-view mirror?

I didn't slow down, because I did not want to be caught in it, but I did watch in the rearview mirror, until he went around a curve and I turned off.

Actually a lit cigarette will not set off gas fumes. Despite what Hollywood thinks. -_-

Many many years ago, when I was young and stupid - we put about half a cup of gasoline in a 5-gallon can, put the lid on, shook it vigorously and then threw it out in the bay. Stood there and watched it until the tide took it out about 100 yards, then shot it with 308 tracer. Nothing happened. Saw the can jerk when the bullet hit it, so I know we were hitting it, but nothing happened.

With only being about a hundred yards away from it, it's probably a good thing that nothing happened.

53 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Actually a lit cigarette will not set off gas fumes. Despite what Hollywood thinks. -_-

My uncle would be welding and when finished, would sometimes plunge the red hot metal in a bucket of gasoline that we used to clean parts!:blink:

My sister's house burnt to the ground during a forest fire in Northern Minnesota back in the 1970s. It was nothing but ash for miles. My BIL's motorcycle was a steel frame with a puddle of aluminum under it. But, there was a steel gas can sitting out in the yard. The yellow plastic vent was melted enough to run down the side but the gas can was intact and still full. It was not sealed as it still had the spout in place. Figure that one out. I saw it with my own teenage eyes. It was a tragic shame because he had boxes of Vampirella magazines in the shed with the motorcycle!

Aw, that's nuttin' LOL. Imagine the look on the State Trooper's face when he rode his Harley up next to a Ford sedan because the driver had just flipped a butt out the window.....

And saw the THREE cases of commercial grade 12 inch fireworks shells in the back seat.

Lemme tell ya, it was truly impressive when they brought all that out to my range "for destruction" LOL.

6 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Nor will a bulleet.

6 hours ago, Alpo said:

Many many years ago, when I was young and stupid - we put about half a cup of gasoline in a 5-gallon can, put the lid on, shook it vigorously and then threw it out in the bay. Stood there and watched it until the tide took it out about 100 yards, then shot it with 308 tracer. Nothing happened. Saw the can jerk when the bullet hit it, so I know we were hitting it, but nothing happened.

With only being about a hundred yards away from it, it's probably a good thing that nothing happened.

During WWI, initially the British had a tough time shooting down Zeppelins.  Turns out that all that hydrogen gas will not burn without being mixed with a fair amount of oxygen.

Took a while but they finally figured it out.

Defeating the Zeppelins

Archived