SASS Wire Forum

What's the craziest stage you have ever shot at a match?

Snakebite

Ain't nothin funner than a good wacko stage every once and while to loosen up the strap on a few Jocks. What's the best one you have shot?

Snakebite  :D

At Capitan,NM

Gunsmoke Cowboy and Dirty Earl (RIP) put on a fun and challenging match.

One stage, wich I believe was the funnest and got the most 'groans' was this.

You opened the shutters to the bank after the beep...

This activated a swinger/rocker (side to side) cowboy. You had to shoot through the bankers cage bars.  Only way to hit targets was pause between the cowboys swings. Some could get 2-3 shots between...but most of us was one at a time.

The cowbioy was NOT exspendable...a no hitter, and he did not slow down or stop!

It was crazy, but fun!

All shotgun, 14 knockdowns.  I was shooting blackpowder of course.  The barrels got so hot I blistered my fingers, and I worried that the solder holding the barrels together was going to melt.  Never again.  I decided to never shoot more than 6 on a stage and just take misses on any others.

Wild Bunch! 5 pistol targets, engage in a 1-5 sweep then single tap 1 and 5. Stage pistol on table for further use. Engage 6 shotgun knockdowns in any order. Repeat the pistol instructions. Engage 5 rifle targets with same sequence as pistol (rifle loaded with 7 rounds) AND finally repeat pistol instructions. I loved it.

Ambush at Durham Ferry, many years ago.

There was a life-sized dummy lying on a cot right in front of you.  It was a goofy looking thing.  The head was a caved in basketball.  Anyway, the dummy was stuck full of arrows, a knife or two, and had a bunch of rubber snakes clipped to it.  The general gist was to fend off the bad guys and render medical care to the dummy.  Shoot a few rounds at the steel targets, pluck something off the dummy, shoot a few more rounds, pluck something else off, etc.  Every few years, we try to recreate it here.  

Well I gotta tell yah pilgrims it was 1996 Montrose, Colo at San Juan range. Lots of bed springs walking on same. leaping onto bed springs to jump onto staged horse barrel. It was a fun match and riding the old widow maker down the tracks. Those were the good old days and also grabbing a hanged home made dummy and carrying it down the steps to some other place.  Lots of fun stages they were. Matter of fact did end up taking Senior 1st place.

I

The mine cart at the Tejas Caballeros. 
shoot rifle, get in cart, ride down tracks shooting pistol targets (pistols staged in holsters on cart). Cart stops, get out, take up shotgun and shoot targets. (Shotgun staged at table at end of track)

yes it’s different riding in the cart & shooting from it. Not overly challenging shooting, but getting in/out of cart is kind of a pain for us hefty old shooters. 
for me, the problem is resetting the cart every time. It’s a lot of work. Plus the TO has to run down steps, then run down beside the track, then be ready to catch last shotgun shot on the timer. I won’t TO on this one, and resetting the cart is a man-eater. It’s fun to do every once in a while in cool weather, but no bueno for an annual or a summertime match. 

Knockdown plates of decreasing size shot straight on. The posse was commenting on how could a plate behind be knocked down by the shooter. As a spotter, I could see that there was about 1/4 inch of the plates visible to the side so I decided to shoot the whole five plate string backwards with a Spencer. I succeeded in doing so.

Shooting challenges are not that "crazy" - challenging and maybe not all that much fun - but not crazy.

Crazy is having a baby doll with its hind end coated with peanut butter that you must both shoot the stage and end up with a cleanly diapered baby at the end.

Crazy is "Don't let the pancakes burn".

You start the stage by flipping a "pancake" 2x in a pan over the fire.  And then between EACH firearm - you must return to the campfire and flip it again 2x.

And yes, there was someone watching the pan to verify you got 2 complete flips in.

Crazy is "one card - one shot"

Ten random playing cards face down.

Flip a card - one shot on that color.

Repeat. 

36 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Shooting challenges are not that "crazy" - challenging and maybe not all that much fun - but not crazy.

Crazy is having a baby doll with its hind end coated with peanut butter that you must both shoot the stage and end up with a cleanly diapered baby at the end.

You start the stage by flipping a "pancake" 2x in a pan over the fire.  And then between EACH firearm - you must return to the campfire and flip it again 2x.

And yes, there was someone watching the pan to verify you got 2 complete flips in.

Crazy is "one card - one shot"

Ten random playing cards face down.

Repeat. 

Shooting around a moving cowboy, through bars, to me IS crazy.

Boomerang sweep, courtesy of Painted Mohawk. With pistols and rifle, follow the arrows (like a boomerang) starting at either corner. Yes, you are double tapping the corners. We typically don't combine pistols and rifles in a string, so this was challenging to visualize from the firing line (for me) without the benefit of this diagram.

u53N7ng.jpg

8 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Boomerang sweep, courtesy of Painted Mohawk. With pistols and rifle, follow the arrows (like a boomerang) starting at either corner. Yes, you are double tapping the corners. We typically don't combine pistols and rifles in a string, so this was challenging to visualize from the firing line (for me) without the benefit of this diagram.

u53N7ng.jpg

That makes my eyes hurt!:rolleyes:

All shotgun, and very unfair, but fun. 

Five tables, maybe 20' apart, each marked with a card suit. Shooter picked a hand from a deck of 10, J, Q, K, A cards, and had to shoot the stage in that order. If you drew, say 10, 10, 10, 10, J, you were golden, but if you drew A, 10, A, 10, A, you were screwed, as that order necessitated an 80' dash to the end table, then 80' back to the first table, then 80' back to the end table again, and so on.

2 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I've done that one.

Shot glass of water on the bar.  ATB take the shot but don't swallow the water.  Shoot the stage.  After the last shot spit out the water.  If you can't spit out the water you get a procedural.

One of the most fun for me was in 1999 (so long ago!) at Buffalo Bill's Summer Range in Cody, WY.

Those dirty rotten scoundrels managed to find an actual working kids electric horse, like what used to be in front of the grocery stores.

You sat down, put in the quarter, and shot the stage while it was bucking away.

An absolute hoot, along with many other memorable stages that my amigos did there over the years.

I managed to find the one photo I have of it:

That Damn Horse!.jpg

4 hours ago, Jackrabbit Joe #414 said:

Well I gotta tell yah pilgrims it was 1996 Montrose, Colo at San Juan range. Lots of bed springs walking on same. leaping onto bed springs to jump onto staged horse barrel. It was a fun match and riding the old widow maker down the tracks. Those were the good old days and also grabbing a hanged home made dummy and carrying it down the steps to some other place.  Lots of fun stages they were. Matter of fact did end up taking Senior 1st place.

I

I remember that match with the Widdermaker, bed springs and the horse suspended by multiple springs.  Mostly I remember the shotgun side match using popup targets where a quarter stick of dynamite was used instead of a soda can or clay.  I hit the dymamite with a game load shot from a fully-choked shotgun and touched off the dynamite.  The blast blew off my hat, safety glasses and hearing protection.  I decided never to try that side match again.

Dozens and Dozens of boring 10-10-4 stages. Over and over and over. Now that’s CRAZY! ;)

The most fun I have had shooting CAS were stages like the one we had to should either 32 or 36 targets in a specific order with any guns we desired to hit each target. I chose my Stoeger SxS. Man, what a hoot!

I used to love the stages where you had to accomplish a task and then fire or sit on a horse (barrel) and shoot from horseback. And call me crazy but I love Texas Stars and moving targets. Just love em. I ain’t no good at em, but I love em. :D

I never did it, fortunately because they would had to clean up a mess. The Westside club in Evansville, IN had a mine car that rolled into a U. You had to sit in the mine car and shoot as it was rolling back and forth. I know some folks that did.

5 hours ago, Jackrabbit Joe #414 said:

I

I shot this match in 2000. It was my 4th cowboy match. 22 years later and still haven't shot a match that was as much fun or CRAZY..Thanks for the memory..

Faygo Kid

Sitting and picking a specified number of plastic cockroaches out of a big bowl of dry rice with chopsticks, on the clock, before starting shooting--and some of the cockroaches were connected to the bottom of the bowl by fishing line.  It was definitely a hoot!  

1. Start sitting in an outhouse, gunbelt below the knees, Sears catalog in both hands.  I don't remember the sequence.

2. Sitting in a galvanized tub, all guns staged on a board in front of the shooter.  Shoot all guns while sitting. ( strange echoes there).

3. On the clock: throw a lasso over a steer's horns, shoot one pistol, pour a shot of whiskey, shoot pistol #2, throw a knife, shoot rifle, deal a poker hand, shoot shotgun.  (and then a nap)

4 hours ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Sitting in a bath tub shooting at little packets of Ketchup stapled to a board.   Recreating Glenn Ford's character shooting at roaches in Cowboy.

Did something like that when we shot in Prescott up in the hills believe it was Point of Rocks. Sitting in bath tub and shot at pictures of bugs on the wall. Fun stages and at the very top did the posse shoots I was the last one had to throw knlfe(s) at target to end the stage. I believe I stuck one & missed the other one. Those were good old days. That year was 2000.

6 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr, SASS #14478 Life said:

One of the most fun for me was in 1999 (so long ago!) at Buffalo Bill's Summer Range in Cody, WY.

Those dirty rotten scoundrels managed to find an actual working kids electric horse, like what used to be in front of the grocery stores.

You sat down, put in the quarter, and shot the stage while it was bucking away.

An absolute hoot, along with many other memorable stages that my amigos did there over the years.

I managed to find the one photo I have of it:

That Damn Horse!.jpg

First time I did that was at The Durango Kid shoot in Durango Colorado in 1995 & 1996 & met Harry Carey Jr aka Dobe We had the rockin horse and put a dime in & went to town trying to hit targets at a gallup. Alsp used the horse at ACSA & Railhead shoots in Williams,,Az

20 hours ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

Tusco every year would have one stage with stuffed animals for shotgun targets, if you were setting for your friends you'd pick the smallest you could find. Sometimes they had pumpkins for shotgun targets, messy !

Do you remember the shoot there that Split Rail came up with. It was based on Open Range. You slid a empty beer mug down a slightly slanted bar and knocked over a head (It was one of those heads for wigs) You then blasted a couple of No Vagrants No Varmints signs with your shotgun. That was the best stage and most fun I've ever seen! :)

The craziest?

I guess that would be a match in 2003 at the Polk County Crackers club (now defunct). The movie Open Range had just came out and the new match director decided to do something different. 

The range was a common line type range with with about 125 yds parallel to the berm. We only had two stages that day with one all shotgun stage on a separate berm and the other stage on the common line.

We had two posse's that day, just for clarification.

The 1st stage used the entire 125 yd line parallel to the berm. Round count was 15 rifle (5 round reload), 20 pistol (2 pistol reload) and 4 shotgun. Pistols were holstered, rifle staged about midway down the 125 yd stretch and shotgun at the other end of the 125 yd stretch. Start line was at one end of the line and you finished at the other end with two pistol reloads and one rifle reload along the way.

The second stage was on a separate berm/area from the first and was an all shotgun stage with giant knockdowns (3) that activated flyer clays for six+ rounds and then a Texas Star that wasn't just any normal Tx Star. The star was custom made (with the finest intentions I might add) about 1.5 times bigger than the normal star and the 5 plates were 12" diameter, 3/4" steel.

While it was fun to shoot ONCE, it was an exhausting day. Just following 15+ shooters (timing and spotting) multiple times back and forth on the 125 yd line was bad

enough but resetting that star and knockdowns after the 2K hike was just over the top. We also found out that the timer would time out (reset) at a certain amount of time. I think it was 400 seconds but may have been less.

They never did that again, ever.

21 hours ago, Possum Skinner, SASS#60697 said:

We once shot a stage that you had to hold a raw egg the whole time.  Interesting challenge when shooting a hammer double.

Could you put it in your mouth?:lol:

Chicken Scratch put on a match in St Augustine that had something that moved on every stage. It was a blast!

Probably the most memorable was the gallon jugs of water that started on a wire line in back of the shooter and when released went whizzing over the shooter's head. Pretty spectacular results if your shot was dead on. And you really want to wait until it's well passed or you take a shower.

A couple of weeks ago we had a stage that was 10-10-4 with three shooting positions - positions A, B and C.  After you fired from position A you had to move two or three yards to position B.  After shooting at postion B you had to move another two or thee yards to position C.  When everyone was done there was not one single gripe.  THAT was crazy.

At Six-gun Justice shoot in Rexburg, ID, what a stage where your last shotgun was to "Save the Baby". You had to shoot a vulture carrying a doll on a zipline and make it drop the doll into a bathtub.

Archived