SASS Wire Forum

How Do You Know When It’s Time

Yul Lose

Yul,

It is not time for you to leave the game (you still know which end should point down range)! You are a valued Posse member and contribute at every match (not everyone has to haul steel).  We are here to safely assist the shooter - even if that means holding you up by your suspenders!

As long as you go home with a smile on your face - it is all good!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem is not when "you know" it is time.  The problem is for those with diminished capacity that do not realize it is time.  I know several people that knew it was time to quit and have.  This is one of those difficult questions like when do you take the car keys away from grandpa?  Well, most of us are grandpa and telling your friends and contemporaries they are no longer safe to shoot is tough but may become necessary and require some sort of intervention.  I don't want to get shot because someone else is "just trying to have fun."

It's your call.   When your not having fun or unsafe. 

As a TO I have helped steady,  carried guns, assisted,  and even carried a shooter through an entire match.  I don't care if your shooting a 10 second or 200 second stage.   If your smiling and trying I'll do what I can to help.    

Unfortunately i do know several upper end shooters who whine about slow shooters.   Personally I try to avoid them.  

19 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Might still be fun for me but not those on my posse.

My point of view, it may not be shared by others but from what I've seem, it is. If you are not a danger to yourself or others, I'll be supportive and understanding. I don't like to post my age, but I'm an Elder Statesman. I have arthritis and my guns can run faster than my brain. We have a few shooters with issues, I've never heard anyone complain that they took too much time or that they needed a bit of help if something went south. I hear more grumbling like, why don't they clean their guns better, or what kind of ammo are they shooting, but physical failings, not so much. 

I'm going to keep an open mind, be as safe as I can, and when someone I respect comes up to me and asks me if I've considered hanging them up, then I'll heed the advice. None of us like the aging process, getting old is OK, being old is not. 

And to respond to the quote, if you are having fun, I will recognize that, and I will be supportive and encouraging. Doing something unsafe, that has to be a hard line. 

"Fun" is not as easy to define as it once was. We have a cowboy that doesn't shoot all the time, but he shows up at all the matches to help. He is having more fun at the match not shooting than sitting a home feeling useless.  

1107534926_Smilingafteragoodround.thumb.jpg.6822c99d6fc1a73bef5e995ffb76f574.jpg

It was 90º, I was hot, tired and my back was aching, was I having fun, HELL YES. I had just shot clean and my time was under 60 seconds. My guns worked as did I. 

BB

21 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

You might be surprised to find out that the folks on your posse would rather you be there regardless of your performance or helpfulness. 

Phantom

I don’t even know Phantom but I hate agreeing with him!!!! But he is right.  I want to see and shoot with all my friends and will do whatever it takes to continue to get them up to the line and having fun!!!!

I’m to the point I do t like stairs. I hand my guns off for others to help me get up stairs. Yes it’s a bit humiliating. But I’ve helped others and happy to do it. 

as long as you are enjoying the game and are safe with your guns, keep on shooting!  And if the physical part is getting too tough, consider trying long range. It’s a little easier on the old body! 

Something to remember. People come to this game for the shooting but they stay the camaraderie and the friendships. As long as you enjoy coming and you are safe that’s all that counts. It’s not about your speeds or whether the fastest shooters have to wait for you to come-pleat a stage. Sass as a family and everybody has a place. Hope you stay with it.
I’m hoping to meet you someday. I have always impressed by your carpentry skills would love to spend a few days with you in the shop.

21 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Yes, there are those who get frustrated with the 'slow shooter'.. or any other reason THEY think makes you less than they think you should be.

I have not seen this at the SASS clubs I have shot at. I do see it in some other sports...

But screw them, it seems they are trying to spend as little time shooting as possible.

I've never met you Yul but we've talked on the phone and conversed here on the SASS Forums. I'm pretty sure that everyone here and at the matches will agree that SASS is a MUCH better place with you in it that with you out of it.

As to your original question, when you're not having fun any longer or are unsafe with firearms or it just plain hurts too much....that's when I'll hang it up.

32 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

I have not seen this at the SASS clubs I have shot at. I do see it in some other sports...

But screw them, it seems they are trying to spend as little time shooting as possible.

Sad to say I have seen it at many places...usually one or two folks...but they could definately run off new folks or some of us with thinner skin;)

33 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I've never met you Yul but we've talked on the phone and conversed here on the SASS Forums. I'm pretty sure that everyone here and at the matches will agree that SASS is a MUCH better place with you in it that with you out of it.

As to your original question, when you're not having fun any longer or are unsafe with firearms or it just plain hurts too much....that's when I'll hang it up.

And to that...I add that maybe shooting has become "no fun" ...but don't drop out completely.

Many things to do that will be greatly appreciated as well as fun!

Yup.  When you are not enjoy the game or when thoughtful souls come to you and respectfully tell you it’s time.   

I enjoy watching others shoot.  I enjoy my elders shooting with us.   We know who can’t help much or at all but what’s most important is your attendance.    Hugs my friend

When the silver alert has your license plate number.  :lol:

On 11/11/2021 at 9:58 PM, Yul Lose said:

I'm sure the members of the posse understand fully! Us cowboy shooters are the most forgiving and tolerant of anyone. If you can man the LT or ULT that's a job that's needed. Any help in tearing down or setting up  I'm sure is appreciated. Keep having fun !!!

When to give up:  When you have to have help and don't get it, as long as you are safe!!!!   I make few shots anymore because my last grandson isn't old enough to help yet.  My other grandson found girls about 4 years ago.  My hands have forced me to go from full house black .44-40/.45 Colt and ROA's to .36 Navies with .32 H&R Rogers waiting for their turn.  It was very hard to drop down in calibers but it let me keep shooting.  It started at Hooten Old Town KY State match in the early 2000's shooting ROA's recoil almost caused me to drop it.  You have to decide when the pain is more than you want to pay for the fun!

Yul, nobody that I've spoken to has even come near the topic of you or anyone ceasing to participate at a match. On a personal level, I enjoy seeing you at the range and hope you keep shooting. Generally speaking, I agree with others- if a shooter is no longer having fun and the juice is not worth the squeeze, hang 'em up.

You're talking about participating- you wrote the stages for the last match! That's some critical participation, in my opinion. All I do is mindlessly lug steel after a match. There was much positive feedback about those stages and you and I even spoke about how you were trying to force people to 'think' a little bit. Bottom line- big contribution.

Most importantly, we would need new comedic relief if you and your jokes (none of which is re-printable here...) went elsewhere!

I enjoy shooting a whole lot more being with those that are just having fun and are glad to shoot.  I really don’t care how fast or slow you shoot, as long as your having fun and you feel you are safe.  I have no problem lending a hand to anyone that needs it. 

Hey Yul, sorry to hear you are slowing down.I had help with staging my guns for the last, oh, 6 months of my shooting and had someone behind me just in case for a bit.Bottom line is I stopped when I felt unsafe and it was not fun feeling unsafe anymore. I had seen a couple of people that needed a "hint" and did not want to be on the receiving end of one. I continued showing up to work the tables and the front window until I couldn't anymore. I know you have a bunch of people rooting for you, and would be glad to help out when needed, if YOU feel safe and are having fun...go for it!

I'll quit when I get thrown (figure of speech) off the range - or when the EMTs can't revive me. 

I am new to Cowboy Action, started 4 matches ago with 12 year old son... and just happen to be shooting with you Yul Lose! 

I feel the exact opposite of your sentiments, I am so glad to see you there. I am not the fastest or the slowest, but I am having fun with my son and to see that we can do this for a long time together is awesome. We don't have to be first, we just have to be safe and have fun!

You are in inspiration... and I think you still shoot the stages faster than me anyways.

Be safe, keep shooting and having fun and inspiring all of us to do the same.

Flying K and Vaquero Van

At some point there can be a transition to becoming an "aimer", there to shoot clean with as much hustle as you can muster and call that a good day. Hopefully your guns will be working well and leave a feeling of having had fun. I shoot Cattle Baron and use pretty much that approach.

I think folks can shoot as long as they are safe and are enjoying the experience.  I am more than happy to help a shooter with infirmities when needed so leaving the game should be on your terms.  You will know when it is time.

When it is not fun or safe it is all for sale.........I left USPSA because it wasn't fun anymore.

Bugler

On 11/11/2021 at 9:58 PM, Yul Lose said:

Nah. I think I can speak for more than myself when I say not to sweat that. I don't see any grumbling about the non-speed-demons in our posses. 

If I got Soooo slow that it was truly a problem, I'd shoot fewer rounds. That way you'r still shooting, taking les time and yyou're not home cleaning gutters and such.

I should have realised this was about physical limitations....and there is lots of good comment here on that!      Having said that there is another road some may find themselves on (as I did) .... that of finding other/additional activities that end up taking over from CAS.    I started shooting IPSC about 10 years ago partly at least BECAUSE it was shot on Sunday mornings...thus never interfering with our local Cowboy shoots..   Forward 6 or 7 years and I found myself thinking of IPSC the way I thought of CAS for so many years - with great enthusiasm - and NOT thinking of CAS that way  any  more...    So.. I shoot IPSC twice a week now... (and Wild Bunch once a month.. which is probably not surprising....lol)  I actually have some minor feelings of guilt about it all..which is silly of course....:D  CAS now is "as and when".  The last Cowboy match I shot I was really at to assist with a WB RO course.    Yes, I had fun...but, other than the PEOPLE....it just doesn't mean as much to me any more..   Thats life I guess. 

Being safe while on the firing line would be the only issue. We can help get you to the stage, carry guns to be staged and to the unload table. The shooting the stage is on you.
I'll posse with ya and help you all I can!

On 11/12/2021 at 6:15 PM, Hoss said:

I’m to the point I do t like stairs. I hand my guns off for others to help me get up stairs. Yes it’s a bit humiliating. But I’ve helped others and happy to do it. 

as long as you are enjoying the game and are safe with your guns, keep on shooting!  And if the physical part is getting too tough, consider trying long range. It’s a little easier on the old body! 

Hey, pard, I'll carry your guns up the steps anytime! Just say the word!;)

7 minutes ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

Hey, pard, I'll carry your guns up the steps anytime! Just say the word!;)

Thanks Tell!

Archived