SASS Wire Forum

Tennessee williams

Well, I finally HD a primer go off while loading. Let me tell you, it'll scare the 4ell out of you. 

I was loading like always and everything was going smooth. Perhaps more smooth than usual, when BOOOOOM happened. I never felt a snag on primer seating. After blinking a bit to make sure I could still see and to make sure I wasn't holey, I looked up and there is a primer (I think) stuck in the ceiling and my primer follower was across the room mangled and broken. Now the disk that rotates the primers into position is stuck. I'll have to disassemble it to see what's wrong. The press ram won't go up either. Probably caused by the seized disk. I'll know later.

What I don't know is how it flashed in the first place or how it affected the primers in the tube.

What I do know is, somehow it is Widder's fault....and I'll wear glasses from now on!

20211111_201250.thumb.jpg.77706a59549938a102c2700c66081f0c.jpg

Primer stuck in the ceiling.

20211111_201451.thumb.jpg.7a8690a8f564a1b3911de5cd0ebf8ea0.jpg

Mangled primer follower.

Happened to me, a little different. Dropped a few primers on the floor and missed one on pickup. Later on, Rolled over it with my chair..bang! Had to check my pants....woke me up.

Dillon 650 or higher, right?   I've had two tubes full of Federal small pistol primers head for the moon.   That rotary feed disk has the ability to pinch a primer just right to set it off, and the explosion ripples across the rest of the disk of 8 or so primers, and up the tube to light up your life.  Almost always ruptures/destroys the aluminum liner tube inside of the steel outer tube.  Pull that out and check.  Dillon has several parts bags of the items that usually need to be replaced already staged and ready to ship.  Happens more often than most folks ever hear about.

good luck, GJ

4 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Dillon 650 or higher, right?   I've had two tubes full of Federal small pistol primers head for the moon.   That rotary feed disk has the ability to pinch a primer just right to set it off, and the explosion ripples across the rest of the disk of 8 or so primers, and up the tube to light up your life.  Almost always ruptures/destroys the aluminum liner tube inside of the steel outer tube.  Pull that out and check.  Dillon has several parts bags of the items that usually need to be replaced already staged and ready to ship.  Happens more often than most folks ever hear about.

good luck, GJ

You're the answer man, Joe! Thanks, I'll look at that inner tube. Still trying to get to every thing.

Jeez that's scary. On my Xl650 (touch wood) its never happened but I have had primers crushed and mangled in the disk bad enough that the yellow priming mixture (Federal SPP) has been smeared everywhere. So I don't know how close that was to igniting a rocket.

Please please please......always always safety glasses!!!

27 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Jeez that's scary. On my Xl650 (touch wood) its never happened but I have had primers crushed and mangled in the disk bad enough that the yellow priming mixture (Federal SPP) has been smeared everywhere. So I don't know how close that was to igniting a rocket.

I've had that happen a bit and have always felt the difference. With this...nothing.

I always wear glasses…and I have air and spray my 650 or use a little brush to keep the disc and primer area clean and debris free.  I also take my time. So far, I’ve been lucky. 

I’m REALLY glad you’re ok! That’s very scary - especially sine it didn’t feel different. 

Big hugs!

Scarlett

That sounds Scary...only experience I've had was with a Shotgun primer jamming & going 'pop in my Mec 9000G.

Glad your ok TW..no need for a jury' yep Widder did it !!

First, glad you're OK. I will now forever wear my safety glasses bc of this story. Thanks for sharing, TW.

Second, Scarlett, you should be asleep not on the Wire at 2:30 am!

Drink some camomille tea. Follow me for more sleep tips. I can fall asleep on command.:lol:

Third, I have a SDB and a 650. This may have convinced me to sell the 650. Who needs to make 800 cartridges an hour anyhow?

Anyway just some thoughts as I wake up.

Go get yourself a banana split for breakfast, TW. You deserve it.

Waimea

7 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

You can walk on a wooden leg but you can't see out of a wooden eye.

Plus a zillion for safety glasses.

10 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Glad you are okay.

I too threw my hands to my face...then started the most seductive search a gal can give her own body!!!:wub:

I was quite embarrassed to tell Shanley what had transpired..  

image.gif.c60bbb55f962fe09d0c79daa887633a1.gif

I lit a whole primer tube up once on the 650. Primer follower looked just like your picture. It was pretty exciting. It'll be okay if I don't do that again.

5 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

That sounds Scary...only experience I've had was with a Shotgun primer jamming & going 'pop in my Mec 9000G.

Glad your ok TW..no need for a jury' yep Widder did it !!

TW:  Be sure there are NO LIVE primers left around in the tubing, floor, etc...... before you start working on your machine.   Ya don't want

another 'POP'.    And wear those safety glasses!

Mohawk:  Just because I stayed in TW's house in October, and just because I may have checked out his reloading press, doesn't mean

I sabotaged it.   Besides, I cleaned up all those primers I spilt..... ;)

..........WIdder

@Tennessee williams I had a little shock last week.  I was annealing .45C cases and decided to anneal some cases that I bought (used) that were already cleaned.  What I didn’t do was check to make sure all the cases had spent primers.  It was no where near as bad as what happened to you but it did catch me off guard. 

1 hour ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

It is AMAZING how loud a primer can be in the loading room.

Dont bother trying to wash them shorts.   Just slip out of them and throw them away  :D

Even more crazy is how loud about 80 of them are!

1 hour ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

It is AMAZING how loud a primer can be in the loading room.

Dont bother trying to wash them shorts.   Just slip out of them and throw them away  :D

Nah, ole TW wears brown britches so he'll be good. :D

Kajun

Makes me glad I have 2 550's. Don't seem to hear of this happening to them.

Glad you're okay TW.  I've also had the same experience with my 650.  In my case, I was fortunate that there were only a few primers left in the primer tube.  For some reason, after the incident, my cats leave the reloading room when they see me on the 650.

Does Dillion make (or are they considering) a conversion kit to change a 650 priming system to a 750 system?  I think I would be interested. 

I admit it...I don't wear safety glasses when I reload because I just didn't think it was necessary.  Not anymore...I'm wearing those glasses from now on.  Glad you didn't shoot yer eye out kid...

Dillon is now offering their 'Cold Blue' boxer drawers as an accessory to their 'upgrade kit'.

They come in sizes:  OOPS,  UT-OH,  and Oh-Crap.      

OOPS sizes for a single detonation..

UT-OH sizes for those who have a multiple detonation.

Oh-Crap sizes for those who have a full tube detonation.

..........Widder

Always wear your glasses when reloading. If you don’t have prescription lenses just leave a pair on your press to remind you to wear them. 

Glad you’re okay Tennessee Williams. :)

I set off a large pistol primer with a Lee hand loader once. Scared the heck out of me. 

I never had a primer tube detonation on my 650. But heard enough to know I didn’t want one! Bought a 750, sold the 650. Upgraded for about 150. The primer system on the 750 (and 550) is better 

Archived