SASS Wire Forum

What press should I use to reload .45-60?

Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439

Ok I am interested in determining how to reload 45-60 shells with black powder and three Lee dies.  I am experienced with a Dillon SDB for .44 spcl/mag but I don’t have the money to upgrade to a Dillon press that can handle pistol and rifle, so I am looking for a press I can use the Lee dues with. So can I use a single stage or multi stage?  Lee or RCBS? The die set I have is a 3 die set. I have over 60 Jamison 45-60 shells and about 20 45-70 shells, I have an 1886 Winchester that I could use those shells for, can I use the 45-60 dues like I use the .44 mag dies to load .44 spcl, to load the 45-70 shells, or do I need different dies?  
Lots of questions, appreciate any advice I can from you all. 

Lots of good choices here.

I use my 550 as a single stage press to load my 45-60. Basically same process for smokeless or BP.

Usually only loading 20-30 anyway so not a lot of time required in any case. Couple minutes to change tool head, few more to change primer system (sometimes) thirty cranks of the handle to resize and reprime. put em in a block and charge, check everything then put bullet on top, thirty cranks to seat and crimp, done.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Lee turret works for me. I use same dies for 45-60 & cut down 45-70

I use a 550 as a single stage press if I load rifle on it.  The press I use most is the RCBS Rock Chucker loading .38-55 and .45-70.  I weigh or measure all charges for the rifles.  As I load with lead bullets I like the RCBS Cowboy dies as they don't swage the bullets like some dies.

Again thanks for all the advice. Since I have an Original 1876 Winchester, black powder is my only choice. As for a drop tube, never heard of one. I don’t know enough yet to go with a single stage or a turret, only have experience a progressive press. So I going to read a little more and decide. 

A drop tube is  Copper tube 24 inches long, with a funnel on top . You use it for Black Powder . 

They are easy to make. Or you could purchase one from Buffalo Arms.

I also have a Original 76 , in 45-60. And a uberti in 45-60 .

On both of them i use 62 Grains on Swiss 1 1/2 .

If i am shooting smokeless i use 15 Grains of Trail Boss. 

I haven't shot past 300 yards with them . Both Rifles shoot the same , with these loads.

I also use a 300 Grain Gas Check RCBS Bullet , Lube is SPG .

Here is a Drop Tube I made for literally just a few dollars. The big alligator clip makes it easily adjustable for different cartridges.  The idea is that the black powder falls a couple of feet into the case resulting in consistently filled cases without the need to compress the powder. Allows for more powder to fit into the case. 

7E47F144-5F6D-4276-9544-3655AE22F6EF.jpeg

2 hours ago, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

A drop tube is  Copper tube 24 inches long, with a funnel on top . You use it for Black Powder . 

They are easy to make. Or you could purchase one from Buffalo Arms.

I also have a Original 76 , in 45-60. And a uberti in 45-60 .

On both of them i use 62 Grains on Swiss 1 1/2 .

If i am shooting smokeless i use 15 Grains of Trail Boss. 

I haven't shot past 300 yards with them . Both Rifles shoot the same , with these loads.

I also use a 300 Grain Gas Check RCBS Bullet , Lube is SPG .

Thank you for the recipe and explanation. I will use it when I get the press!

Archived