SASS Wire Forum

CMA awards

Rye Miles #13621

I'm not a big country fan but some of it is okay. I was watching some of the CMA  awards last night and I had to turn it off! My God it was horrible!

Just MHO

5 minutes ago, DocWard said:

I didn’t watch it, didn’t even know it was on. Can you elaborate?

I didn't see a whole lot of it because it wasn't very good to me. It started off with Miranda Lambert singing a bunch of different songs like a medley, I turned it off after that and I'd come back every so often and couldn't change the channel fast enough! Too glitzy, over produced, some of it not really country at all but it's been like that for awhile now.

I grew up in a family that lived Country Western music. I was not and am not a fan, but I do like songs from the old guard like Merle Haggard, Conway Twitty, Waylon Jennings, etc. 

Today’s “country”, to me, sounds as if when the music is low in a restaurant or store it sounds like all the same music. Each song bleeds right into the next with slight variations. And they love their cutesy “repeat the same lyric with the same guitar riffs” over and over and over. It’s maddening. 

I have always loved Rock and Roll, especially Hard Rock. Today’s artists seem to remain true to the old rock styles. Every few years they divert a bit but they always seem to find their way back. Even after the music industry tried to squash Heavy Metal because it was too hard and seriously leaning towards Right Wing idealism that music found its way back. **** Leftist Scum! 
ADD4C961-DB5D-46DF-A6AC-7336AA7B24E0.jpeg.afa9a435a9567105cb3cfea475c37395.jpeg

Sorry…got a little sidetracked. 

What you saw on television, is pop/hip hop/metrosexual/top 25 style country. Not even close.

If you want real country (C&W, blues, red dirt, rock, bluegrass), try these artists and bands on Spotify or Pandora or whatever service you have:

Tyler Childers 

Frank Foster

Jamey Johnson

Ryan Bingham

Luke Combs

Colter Wall

Sturgill Simpson

Aaron Lewis

Chris Stapleton, et al......

Blackberry Smoke

Band of Heathens

Whiskey Meyers

Alison Kraus & Union Station

Turnpike Troubadours, et al.......

1 hour ago, Dusty Wyatt said:

I don't watch any of the so called country music awards shows anymore. Nothing much country about them. Darned shame. Used to enjoy them.

Back in the time of Newdy suits and Rhinestones. Country pretty much became (c)rap music in the 2000s. 

When I got my Jeep in 2015 and put a CD player in it, (no smartphone), I was telling the guys at work about it. They all laughed when I pulled out a CD holder with Waylon, Willy, Hank Jr., Asleep at the Wheel, and several other singers from the 80s and 90s.   Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme named a few singers I've heard of, but none of the current crop has an entire album I'd listen to.

I started avoiding that nuisance about 25years ago when I stopped watching awards shows. 

The only connection I have with any of them now is that every year I get a copy of the Academy Awards so I'll have a list of shows I don't ever want to watch.

Slim Dusty had a song that referred to "modern country music" as rock'n'roll in a cowboy hat ......   

... (can't think of that song, damnit:blink:)

and it ain't Country and Western  'cause there ain't no Western in it ....... not much Country in it neither ....   :mellow:

Sadly most of the "good ones" have either passed or retired.

Always been a fan of George Strait.

The only awards I watch are the awards at the end of a cowboy match. :D

Being forced to listen to modern "country" and most other modern main stream music should be considered a crime against humanity.

Country music in the late '80s and early '90s was pretty good. Fun times dancing at the honky tonks back then.

3 hours ago, Chantry said:

Being forced to listen to modern "country" and most other modern main stream music should be considered a crime against humanity.

...... or, at least "cruel and unusual punishment" ......   :(

10 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

Slim Dusty had a song that referred to "modern country music" as rock'n'roll in a cowboy hat ......   

and it ain't Country and Western  'cause there ain't no Western in it ....... not much Country in it neither ....   :mellow:

Had to look that up:

Brad Paisley had lyrics about haveing to put pop in his country to appease the label.  Anything between Marty Robins and Chris Ledoux is a safe choice.

14 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

4 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Had to look that up:

Brad Paisley had lyrics about haveing to put pop in his country to appease the label.  Anything between Marty Robins and Chris Ledoux is a safe choice.

Yep ... that's it, ......... and he's right .....   :)

21 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I started avoiding that nuisance about 25years ago when I stopped watching awards shows. 

The only connection I have with any of them now is that every year I get a copy of the Academy Awards so I'll have a list of shows I don't ever want to watch.

Forty Rod nailed it.  My thoughts exactly.

35 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I thought CMSA was Cowboy Mounted Shooters Association.  Guess I was wrong.

Whoops! You’re correct!

I meant the CMA awards!:blush:

Today's country sounds more like the rock and roll I used to listened to, back in the day.

When you try to appeal to everyone, you end up pleasing no one. 

Country music is still alive and well, it just takes a little effort to find it nowadays. 

Seems like a lot of country fans are switching over to bluegrass. 

I guess they just don't understand the new country music sound. Well...join the club. 

37 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Whoops! You’re correct!

I meant the CMA awards!:blush:

Actually I did not know the difference. I would not watch awards from either group.

My wife watched it. I put an Ozzy and a Dio CD in the truck today to counteract the toxic effects of the show. 

For those who don't know who I listed.... I'm so sorry. Metal from the 80's.

37 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

My wife watched it. I put an Ozzy and a Dio CD in the truck today to counteract the toxic effects of the show. 

For those who don't know who I listed.... I'm so sorry. Metal from the 80's.

I’m not a fan of metal but it’s a heckuva better than the country glitzy crap!

10 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Here's where country music is at CMA new artist;

Looks like he is tough enough to wear pink.  ;)

9 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Boy, wouldn't he blend in walking down the streets of 1880's Tombstone... :blink:

Kinda reminds me of the rhinestone encrusted suits work by many of the C&W stars of the 60s and 70s. Remember Porter Wagoner?, Roy Rodgers?

Jimmie Allen has cut some really good singles. Kid's pretty tough too. He survived a heart attack at the young age of 21. 

Best of all he doesn't try to contaminate Country with rap.

Archived