SASS Wire Forum

Bordertown Long Range Matches -- Questions

Cholla

I had fun as a first-timer at the Bordertown Long Range Matches. I didn't realize there were sub categories that I could play in so I only brought one gun.

The ranges were, as I remember them:

Pistol: 50 Yards

Pistol caliber rifle: 100 yards

Rifle caliber rifle: 150 yards

Quigley Bucket: 164 yards

Single shot rifle: 318 yards

1. Are these ranges common at other events?

2. What are the rules, if any?

3. Are 10", 12", or 16" Buntlines allowed for the pistol match?

4. Do you use higher powered ammo for the pistol caliber matches or standard SASS main-match ammo?

We shoot cowboy long range at a few clubs in AZ and in the Midwest,generally pistol is 50 yds, pistol caliber rifle 100yds

big bore lever anywhere between 150 to 300, single shot out to the same, but at Enderlin ND for the ND/SD State Match it's out to 675.Rio Salado has long range, ACSA had long range at Ben Avery when they were shooting there,hopefully they'll do it again when the move back, Yuma has a great long range held in conjunction with The Territorial Prison Breakout and The Dusty Bunch has a really good long range event during their annual gathering of the Posses. One event that has been added to some of them is Take No Prisoners 5 shots with the pistol, 5 shots with the pistol caliber rifle, 5 shots with the big bore lever and a single shot from your single shot rifle.  Our pistols I use the same load as a cowboy match.my pistol caliber rifle in 44-40 I up the from 4.3 to 6.5 Red Dot, the others i have loads worked up for. SASS long range rules are in the Shooters Handbook pg 29. There are a few differences, some matches allow you to stoke your big bore lever, some you can only load 5 and the rest is on the clock. Quigley matches I've shot are generally 3 shots offhand,no help from spotters,most of the other matches allow spotter help, but some like HOW don't allow any help. Usually they tell you up front what the distances are. It's really a lot of fun

Cholla,

at Purgatory in the Pines our long range side matches are:

50 yd pistol start at low ready and most hits in lowest time

100 yd pistol cal rifle start at SASS ready and most hits in lowest time

75 yd Tutt/Hickok duel 

200 yd revolver and 1911

200 yd big bore lever rifle and single shot off hand

300 yd single shot rifle from sticks

300 yd quigley bucket 

hope this helps

Gringo

Archived