SASS Wire Forum

Stainless Steel Tornado Brush

Buckshot Bear

By error when it arrived (my fault) I'd ordered a Stainless Steel Tornado Brush instead of a Brass Tornado Brush.

Stainless steel, how aggressive would that be on bore? I'm thinking it could be.

I suppose it would be ok for cleaning the .38 carbon ring out of .357 pistol cylinders (Slix Scrapers are out of stock on Oz currently)?

If we were talking benchrest 1,000 yard [or meter] competition, those shooters would pee down both legs. For the ranges we shoot at, I would not worry about it and they will do a great job on getting the lead out of a bore.

As long as you pull it all the way through the bore you will not have any adverse effects.

It is when you scrub the bore with a stainless steel brush that you damage the bore.

14 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

I suppose it would be ok for cleaning the .38 carbon ring out of .357 pistol cylinders (Slix Scrapers are out of stock on Oz currently)?

If you have a new or like new piece of .357 brass, you can remove much of the carbon by pushing the EMPTY case in and out of the chamber or chamber of a gun

14 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

If we were talking benchrest 1,000 yard [or meter] competition, those shooters would pee down both legs. For the ranges we shoot at, I would not worry about it and they will do a great job on getting the lead out of a bore.

What DKC said. Stainless steel does a great job on our guns. 

13 hours ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

As long as you pull it all the way through the bore you will not have any adverse effects.

It is when you scrub the bore with a stainless steel brush that you damage the bore.

This one. Also, if you scrub  the bore with a ss tornado brush, it will make the loop bristles come apart rather quickly. 

Slix carbon scraper tool, available from UniqueTek does a bangup job on carbon rings in revolver cylinders.

In theory, the stainless brushes, either the brush type or tornado type are made of softer alloy than the firearm. They will however damage blued and other finishes. In shotguns, I have noted no issues with either. For heavy shotgun fouling, the tornado brushes work great. Chambermate brushes sized for the chamber and forcing cone also are one of my go-to's.

If you shoot say, slugs and fail to clean them guns regurlerlarly, like armory guns at a police range for example, you might resort to a bronze brush wrapped with ChoreBoy which is copper, NOT steel wool. Chucked in a drill at moderate speed, it got that crud out zippity-do!

I will however caution against using power tools for cleaning as I know of one case, my beat partner from days of old, cleaned his 44 S&W with one regularly back when we shot lead bullets for practice. Got to the point he couldn't shoot a group at all and yeah, when I inspected the bore he'd damaged the rifling Not quite a smoothbore but close Ward, close....LOL

Do not care for Tornado brushes except for shotgun.  Plus not impressed by Slick scraper in my Ruger pistols, leaves a lot to clean out with brush(IMHO)    Use mostly in rifle to prevent possible problems.       GW

3 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

The issue I found with Tornado brushes and rifled barrels is that the loops do a poor job of cleaning the grooves.

Same here. I find they are of little help in any rifled barrel. They scrape off the high points but skip over the low points.

I cannot bring myself to suggest Stainless Tornado brushes in ANY plain steel barrel.  Rifle, Pistol nor Shotgun with carbon steel barrels will benefit from a Stainless Tornado.  Brass Brushes only.

Archived