SASS Wire Forum

"68 WHISKEY"

11 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

91 Bravo.

They've tossed the mos list a couple times since I got out.

I was a 91B, 91W and then a 68W. The entire time I was a medic.

7 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

Gunt is still 11B

Yep, but I’ve yet to meet a grunt that called me a POG

What is a POG Military?

“POG” is a uniquely military terminology. It is an adjective and acronym for Person Other Than Grunt.

It came from the word “pogue,” which means “kiss” in Gaelic. The story behind this dates back to the American Civil War when service members would call non-service members “pogues” because they got to stay at home and get all the kisses from ladies.

Now, the military uses a shortened version of it—POG—to refer to anyone who is not physically involved in combat. Hence, the “Grunts” in “POG” points to infantry soldiers, who are out fighting on the battlefield.

During the Vietnam era, “POG” had a negative connotation. So, it was used to insult and make fun of non-combat personnel. By the same token, it has since been deemed a derogatory term.

Meaning of POGs Today…

However, today, most people use it as a joke and there are no hard feelings.

Typically, POGs are supporting units that provide food, ammo, chow, intel, transportation, etc. They are necessary for grunts to carry out a good fight on the field.

Therefore, deep down, military members know that all personnel, including POGs, are important. If you now realize that you are the “POG”, rest assured that it is nothing to be ashamed of. You do make a difference!

41 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

BTW the show was cancelled

I watched about half of the first episode, and turned it off. 

5 minutes ago, DocWard said:

I watched about half of the first episode, and turned it off. 

I never watch it. The reviews I read said that the only part of the show that was true was that US troops were stationed in Afghanistan. Everything else was pure BS.

8 hours ago, DocWard said:

I was a 91B, 91W and then a 68W. The entire time I was a medic.

I started as a 91A and they phased out the alphas. Back then you made Bravo as a senior medic so about E5. I was spec4 one day and woke up a Bravo

Archived