SASS Wire Forum

I have a cooking question

Alpo

Hormel makes a nice marinated pork loin. It comes with cooking instructions - 375°, 30 minutes per pound. Since they're normally about a pound and a half, that's 45 minutes. Works great.

But what if I'm having company over oh, and a pound and a half ain't going to be enough? So I decide to cook two of them.

Two of them is 3 pounds. At 30 minutes a pound that's an hour and a half. I believe they will be overdone. But if I simply space them a few inches apart and cook them as two 1½ pounders, for 45 minutes, I suspect they might be under done.

In the past when I have come up with something like this, I would cook it for one time, and make a note as to whether it was under or overcooked, and would adjust the time the next time, which allows me to eventually come up with the correct time.

But if I don't want to burn it and serve it raw and go over and under time three or four times until I get it right, is there some way of judging how much extra time you would require for an extra piece of meat?

1 minute ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Put them about four or five inches apart in the pan. You shouldn't need to adjust the time.

THIS^^^

Spaced a few inches apart the cooking time will remain the same.

I had the mesquite BBQ last night. A little too much pepper in the rub. I marked it at 7 on my scale. The lemon garlic got an 8.

But the teriyaki I had Thursday was a 10.

Drooling.png.ba4ce360c99c6c57a02fcbee5d48a505.png

Try cooking sous vide (or as the British say, in a water bath).  Almost impossible to overcook it and because of the long cook time you can serve it pink.

I started using a large pot of water on the stovetop monitoring the water temperature with a cooking thermometer.  A Ziplock bag will suffice.  If you like the results you can order a circulator which makes sous vide simple.  Some modern pressure cookers have a sous vide feature as well.

4 hours ago, Abe E.S. Corpus SASS #87667 said:

Try cooking sous vide (or as the British say, in a water bath).  Almost impossible to overcook it and because of the long cook time you can serve it pink.

I started using a large pot of water on the stovetop monitoring the water temperature with a cooking thermometer.  A Ziplock bag will suffice.  If you like the results you can order a circulator which makes sous vide simple.  Some modern pressure cookers have a sous vide feature as well.

Alpo, 

Do you think this “sous vide” may have anything to do with your Soused Shrimp? The one recipe I looked at had the shrimp cooked in water. Maybe it’s just a fancy way to say, cook it in water. COOOULD BEE?

CJ

ALPO: 

In my bachelor level cooking class, I was taught; "When It's Black - It's Done!"

Archived