SASS Wire Forum

Finger Cots

Buckshot Bear

I don't use anything, and I wash my hands thoroughly after a loading session.  Metallic lead has not yet been shown to have ANY degree of transmission through intact skin.  But if you have seen a new well-vetted medical study that came to a different conclusion, I'd sure like to see it.

And, cots do nothing for a real possible path of contamination - inhalation of dust from lead compounds from fired primers, clinging to the cases.

good luck, GJ

2 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

I don't use anything, and I wash my hands thoroughly after a loading session.  Metallic lead has not yet been shown to have ANY degree of transmission through intact skin.  But if you have seen a new well-vetted medical study that came to a different conclusion, I'd sure like to see it.

And, cots do nothing for a real possible path of contamination - inhalation of dust from lead compounds from fired primers, clinging to the cases.

good luck, GJ

I never mentioned lead, I really like the grip they offer. 

1 minute ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I thought you said they were for reloading.

Yep... The grip is great for handling shells and projectiles. Been using them for a week, wouldn't be without 'em now. 

I tried some when loading 105 grn coated bullets. Slippery little rascals. I didn’t care for them. 

ive never really worried about lead contamination. I wash hands, don’t eat while reloading. 

21 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I tried some when loading 105 grn coated bullets. Slippery little rascals. I didn’t care for them. 

ive never really worried about lead contamination. I wash hands, don’t eat while reloading. 

The ones I bought are super grippy, like having tree frog suction cap thumb and index finger :)

2 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

The ones I bought are super grippy, like having tree frog suction cap thumb and index finger :)

I was referring to the bullets being slippery. The finger cots did improve grip, I just didn’t like wearing them. 

Glad you got a grip on things.  Most pards in the past who have posted about gloves and hand coatings when reloading have been concerned (rather unnecessarily) about becoming ill from picking up lead bullets.

1 minute ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Glad you got a grip on things.  Most pards in the past who have posted about gloves and hand coatings when reloading have been concerned (rather unnecessarily) about becoming ill from picking up lead bullets.

I fish all the time always touching sinkers, make balls for my Ruger Old Army, Scuba dive with lead weights and load a LOT. I always wash my hands really good, try my best not to touch my face or rub my eyes etc etc etc but read that lead doesn't pass through skin some time back and was glad when I read that.

Two finger cots (if lead did pass through skin) wouldn't do much as your thumb and forefinger would be touching the palm of your hand and other fingers etc.

These are dirt cheap, its worth an investment just to see if you like the grip that they give. Using them to take projectiles out of the Dillon tray and placing them on cases on the XL650 just feels easier with them on and picking up cases and loading projectiles on my Lyman turret press also just feels easier with the grip.

And being a little stingy, I'm rolling them off and re-using them.

I got mine on eBay and they were a lot cheaper than these grip ones -

https://www.gesswein.com/p-11309-latex-finger-cots-no-slip-grip-pkg-of-100.aspx

7 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I just...don't know what to say...

Thats a first :lol: 

Mark this day 11-9-21 :P

21 minutes ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Hey Bear..I hope you ain't gunna wear those at your next Cowboy shoot in case you got a reload...yikes !! :ph34r:

Imagine the comments about 'size'........ "Excuse me Mr Pharmacist I need to procure a packet of your smallest rubbery items that look just like this". 

17 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I thought you said they were for reloading.

That's funny right there .......

6 hours ago, Runamuck, SASS #49216L said:

Thanks for the tip.

I have a hard time with the grip on powder coated bullets I usually have a half a dozen or so bullets scatter around on the floor.

Me too, try these out I think you'll be really happy with grip you get on bullets. 

On 11/8/2021 at 6:54 PM, Buckshot Bear said:

I really like the grip they offer. 

That would REALLY be called "burying the lead" in journalism - not telling folks what your point is until your second story.   :lol:

44 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

That would REALLY be called "burying the lead" in journalism - not telling folks what your point is until your second story.   :lol:

Interesting Google read -

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/bury-the-lede-versus-lead

Archived