SASS Wire Forum

Visiting greater Austin, TX. Any recommendations?

Finagler 6853 Life

Can't get to where we want to in Florida to escape the cold and snow of Wisconsin, so how about Texas?  We, wife, SIL &BIL (they are a matched set) will lose our original air fare when we got COVIDed out in January of 2020.  So to use it instead of losing it, we are talking about the hill country of Texas near Fredericksburg to stay and just tour around.  We would be flying in and out of Austin.  Could do San Antonio.  Have no preferences to either.  Any recommendations on must see, really interesting to see, types of places in those areas?  We are open to suggestions.  Thanks all.

2 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

San Antonio:  The Alamo, River Walk.

Fredericksburg: Plenty of German restaurants, Cimarron Firearms.

Lots more stuff to do.

Yup... I'd take San Antone over Austin.  And don't forget The Alamo!

But if ya pick Austin, you could get a picture with Stevie Ray's statue.  :)

Stevie Ray Vaughan Statue, Austin TX | SRV statue on shore o… | Flickr

When you are driving around watch out for deer. I rode a bicycle in that area a lot and in one hundred mile stretch passed 32 dead deer. It look like they routinely cross the road jumping fences but if they get hit while crossing they can’t make the jump and die on the side of the road.

Austin...

A tiny swimming pool of idiocy blue, in a sea of common-sense countryfied red. 

Part of the problem is the 48,000 student population at the University of Texas. 

Traffic is pretty heavy, and brutal. I hope you have GPS in your vehicle. 

Get on-line, and see what is going on there, and where to go. There's: bar-b-que, Tex-Mex food, honky-tonks, boot scootin', the capital building, Barton Springs, the bats under the bridge, and more.

Visiting Austin is like dying. 

Once is enough.

Once you are done with Austin, head for Fredericksburg. 

Archived