SASS Wire Forum

CHILI

Okiepan

So with fall comes for some CHILI ,

so whats your favorite type ? Red , White , Green , etc . And from where as we all know every state has a different type as do most folks who make it .

Ground beef, hot country sausage, cubed beef, (usually skirt steak), chopped bacon, (fried crisp and the fat rendered off to use when browning the beef), home grown chilies sliced and sautéed with onions which are also sliced, cooked in butter with fresh garlic.

I use tomato sauce and a good squeeze of heavy tomato paste. I don’t like the texture of stewed tomatoes or canned tomatoes.  If I have time, I’ll cook down my own sauce. 

I usually make two or more gallons at a time and often add venison. The cubed meats are marinated in Jack Daniel’s with chopped onion, pepper sauce,(Tapatio or Valentina), day old strong coffee, and crushed red pepper flakes. Again. If I have time, I’ll marinate for at least 24 hours.

All the juices are included as each ingredient is added and if I’m making a larger batch, I will run a can or two of refried beans through the food processor and add them while I am combining it all. The beans and some masa flour add another level of flavor and help thicken the mixture of larger batches.

I have made as much as ten gallons at one time.  It’s pretty labor intensive, but the end product has always been well worth the effort.  I won’t tell the spice portion of the recipe because I have used it to win multiple contests.  It isn’t for the faint of heart in competition form.  Some folks, judges included, have said it could be used to remove paint, rust, or even porcelain shielding, but for general partying and family gatherings, a milder version is usually more appropriate and folks seem to enjoy it.

HELL! I have about a gallon left from the Halloween party!!!  I’m thinking supper tonight!

I'll be honest I didn't know there was anything other than red chili until this thread.

3-4lbs of ground beef or venison, diced tomatoes, onion, pintos or no beans at all, jar of one's preferred salsa, salt and pepper to taste. 

Chili is supposed to be cheap and feed a lot of people, guys that use nice cuts of meat in their chili aren't making it right IMHO.

Texas Chili

Ingredients

Chile Sauce

5 California chiles

5 guajillo chiles

5 pasilla chiles

5 cloves garlic

1/4 cup fresh oregano leaves

Stewed Tomatoes

2 pounds heirloom tomatoes (can use quality canned tomatoes)

Chili Spices

1 cup oatmeal

1/4 cup ground cumin

1/4 cup paprika

1 teaspoon sea salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

Chili

2 pounds ground beef chuck

2 pounds chopped smoked beef brisket

1 onion, chopped

7 cloves garlic, diced

Directions

For the chile sauce: Cover the California chiles, guajillo chiles and pasilla chiles with water in a medium saucepan and soak for 2 hours. Add the garlic and simmer until tender, about 30 minutes. Blend small batches at a time in blender, adding some fresh oregano each time. Strain through a medium-mesh strainer.

For the stewed tomatoes: Simmer the heirloom tomatoes whole in a large uncovered pot over medium heat until they are broken down and have released some of their liquid, about 45 minutes. Let cool slightly and then puree with an immersion blender.

For the chili spices: Combine the oatmeal, cumin, paprika, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper and red pepper flakes in a bowl. Set aside.

For the chili: Preheat the oven to 350 degree F. Mix together the chuck, brisket, onion and garlic in a Dutch oven. Cook in the oven, stirring occasionally, until brown.

Add the chili spices to the ground beef mixture and cook 20 minutes more. Then add the stewed tomatoes and chile sauce. Cook until an instant-read thermometer register 160 degrees F, about 1 hour.

Here’s my fast chili recipe. It’s all store bought, but it tastes great.  

I call it “Tom’s Fast Chili”

1 - Carrol Shelby’s Chili Kit. 

1 - 16oz Pace Picante Chunky Salsa - Medium heat. 
1 - 8oz can Hunt’s Tomato Sauce

1 - 8oz cup of 505 Hatch Chili Salsa

1 - small can of Bush’s Black Beans (drained)

1 pound of hamburger 

1 pound of diced stew beef

16oz water

Open the chili kit. Toss the masa in the trash. 

Brown the meat and drain the fat. 
Put meat back into pot. 
Dump in 3/4 of the chili powder mix and 1/2 pack of cayenne and the salt packets from the kit. 
Stir into meat
Add salsas and tomato sauce

Add 16oz of water

Add black beans

Turn up heat and leave until just as chili starts to boil then lower heat and let simmer stirring occasionally for 15 or so minutes. 
Then serve. 

It goes great with homemade bread or store bought French or Italian bread all generously buttered. 

Texas Chili Cookoff

TEXAS CHILI COOK-OFFS

INEXPERIENCED CHILI TASTER
Notes From An Inexperienced Chili Tester Named FRANK, who was visiting Texas from the East Coast: "Recently, I was honored to be selected as a judge at a chili cook-off. The original person called in sick at the last moment and I happened to be standing there at the judge's table asking directions to the beer wagon, when the call came. I was assured by the other two judges (Native Texans) that the chili wouldn't be all that spicy,
and besides, they told me I could have free beer during the tasting - So I accepted."

Here are the scorecards from the event:

CHILI # 1 - MIKE'S MANIAC MOBSTER MONSTER CHILI
JUDGE ONE: A little too heavy on tomato. Amusing kick.
JUDGE TWO: Nice, smooth tomato flavor. Very mild.
FRANK: Holy shit, what the hell is this stuff? You could remove dried paint from your driveway. Took me two beers to put the flames out. I hope that's the worst one. These Texans are crazy.

CHILI # 2 - ARTHUR'S AFTERBURNER CHILI
JUDGE ONE: Smokey, with a hint of pork. Slight Jalapeno tang.
JUDGE TWO: Exciting BBQ flavor, needs more peppers to be taken seriously.
FRANK: Keep this out of the reach of children. I'm not sure what I am supposed to taste besides pain. I had to wave off two people who wanted to give me the Heimlich maneuver. They had to rush in more beer when they saw the look on my face.

CHILI # 3 - FRED'S FAMOUS BURN DOWN THE BARN CHILI
JUDGE ONE: Excellent firehouse chili! Great kick. Needs more beans.
JUDGE TWO: A beanless chili, a bit salty, good use of peppers.
FRANK: Call the EPA, I've located a uranium spill. My nose feels like I have been snorting Drano. Everyone knows the routine by now get me more beer before I ignite. Barmaid pounded me on the back; now my backbone is in the front part of my chest. I'm getting shit-faced from all the beer.

CHILI # 4 - BUBBA'S BLACK MAGIC
JUDGE ONE: Black bean chili with almost no spice. Disappointing.
JUDGE TWO: Hint of lime in the black beans. Good side dish for fish or
other mild foods, not much of a chili.
FRANK: I felt something scraping across my tongue, but was unable to taste it. Is it possible to burnout taste buds? Sally, the barmaid, was standing behind me with fresh refills; that 300 lb. bitch is starting to look HOT just like this nuclear waste I'm eating. Is chili an aphrodisiac?

CHILI # 5 - LINDA'S LEGAL LIP REMOVER
JUDGE ONE: Meaty, strong chili. Cayenne peppers freshly ground, adding considerable kick. Very Impressive!
JUDGE TWO: Chili using shredded beef, could use more tomato. Must admit the cayenne peppers make a strong statement.
FRANK: My ears are ringing, sweat is pouring off my forehead and I can no longer focus my eyes. I farted and four people behind me needed paramedics. The contestant seemed offended when I told her that her chili had given me brain damage; Sally saved my tongue from bleeding by pouring beer directly on it from a pitcher. I wonder if I'm burning my lips off? It really pisses me off that the other judges asked me to stop screaming. Screw those rednecks!

CHILI # 6 - VERA'S VERY VEGETARIAN VARIETY
JUDGE ONE: Thin yet bold vegetarian variety chili. Good balance of spice
and peppers.
JUDGE TWO: The best yet. Aggressive use of peppers, onions, and garlic.
Superb!
FRANK: My intestines are now a straight pipe filled with gaseous, sulfuric flames. I shit on myself when I farted and I'm worried it will eat through the chair. No one seems inclined to stand behind me except that Sally. She must be kinkier than I thought. Can't feel my lips anymore. I need to wipe my ass with a snow cone!

CHILI # 7 - SUSAN'S SCREAMING SENSATION CHILI
JUDGE ONE: A mediocre chili with too much reliance on canned peppers.
JUDGE TWO: Ho Hum, tastes as if the chef literally threw in a can of chili
peppers at the last moment. I should take note that I am worried about Judge Number 3, He appears to be in a bit of distress as he is cursing uncontrollably.
FRANK: You could put a grenade in my mouth, pull the pin, and I wouldn't feel a damn thing. I've lost sight in one eye, and the world sounds like it is made of rushing water. My shirt is covered with chili, which slid unnoticed out of my mouth. My pants are full of lava-like shit to match my damn shirt. At least during the autopsy they'll know what killed me. I've decided to stop breathing, it's too painful. Screw it, I'm not getting any
oxygen anyway. If I need air, I'll just suck it in through the 4-inch hole in my stomach.

CHILI # 8 - Helen's Mount Saint Chili
JUDGE ONE: A perfect ending, this is a nice blend chili, safe for all, not too bold but spicy enough to declare it's existence.
JUDGE TWO: This final entry is a good, balanced chili. Neither mild nor hot. Sorry to see that most of it was lost when Judge Number 3 passed out, fell over and pulled the chili pot down on top of himself. Not sure if he's going to make it. Poor Yank, wonder how he'd have reacted to a really hot chili?
FRANK: (Not available for comment.)

Howdy,

If you check out Sucklebusters they have Texas gunpowder.

A spice that adds to most any regular pot of chili.

Start with a little.

Best

CR

Chili is an all year round food in my house.  I am a heathen, and use not one but three different beans in my chili.  Usually pinto, kidney and black beans.  Pork sausage and beef.  The beef can be ground beef, or cubed up roast.  Venison is also sometimes used.  Peppers, onions, lots of tomato sauce and paste, and either crushed or petite dice tomatoes.  A couple of cans of Rotel with chipotle, and a healthy dose of spices.  My recipe makes a couple of gallons at a time.  

It ain't spicy enough if your nose don't run a little while eating.

7 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

.... mine's faster; ...... and tastes better (to me )   ;)

So you’ve tried my recipe?

What’s yours?

I'm not familiar with the word recipe when it comes to cooking.  My chili will vary depending on my mood and what's on hand, but in general, it's the following

4-6 pounds 85% or 90% ground beef 

4-5 boxes of Jones breakfast sausage chopped up or sliced into smaller pieces

4-5 29 oz cans of tomato sauce

tomato paste

2-3 white onions chopped up

2-3 red peppers with the seeds removed & chopped up

4-8 jalapeno peppers with the seeds removed & chopped up

Any of the following spices either fresh or ground: basil, ginger, urfu biber*, coriander, cumin, cardamom, cayenne, chili powder.

Season to taste, I have ease up on the really hot spices if I am making it for other people.

Brown the hamburger and cook everything on a low heat overnight stirring the pot on a frequent basis.

*Turkish red pepper, not very hot, but provides a nice secondary burn after  several minutes you can also  use red curry or thai red curry.  You can use ground cloves ,but don't use a lot, too much and whatever you're making becomes inedible.

I use Venison in my Chili, and have tamed it down a lot over the years .

But I'm making jerky now, Venison of course.

What is in my Chili is my sercret !

Jabez Cowboy

I used to be on the competitive chili cooking circuit all over the mid-Atlantic states.  The picture is of me at a chili cookoff in Mount Airy, MD.  I'm in the process of cubing up a roast.  By my left hand is a #14 Griswold cast iron skillet that I used to brown up the meat, peppers and onions.  Part of the show was looking like a southwesterner cooking up dinner over a campfire in a 100 year old cast iron skillet.

Randy as Punxsutawney Pete.JPG

Archived