SASS Wire Forum

Benefit of the doubt goes to the shooter...

Tennessee williams

5 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

Can I agree with Snakebite AND Sue?:o

Here lies the conundrum. When 2 different ROs not only interpret but enforce the rules differently, it makes for an uneven match. (Which just so happens to be the subject of my next thread). Now some people could care less if it's an uneven match because they don't shoot to come in up top of the score sheet. I've always said, (and yall probably get tired of it) there's 3 kinds of shooters. Costuming, comeraderie, and competitors. I'll start just calling them the 3 Cs. I've never ever had a problem with someone just shooting for the comeraderie or the costumes and I make it a point as RO to try and help them have the best time allowable at the match. That being said, I ALSO want the competitive shooters to have the best time also. To them that means a fair, consistent, and equal match for everybody. 

Yes. You can agree with us both. :wub:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

It's "Counldn't care less".

:o:P

:ph34r:

No it’s Couldn’t care less, check your spelling :P

I think that everyone wants to be fair. As for three kinds of shooters... yeah, I guess that is one way someone could look at it, but IMO there is one kind of shooter and that is the one that comes to play the game. I love the Costuming, that's why I got started in this game and why I've always tried to dress the part. I love the competition, that's why I practiced and have been at the top of the game at every level and match that this game has to offer. I love the camaraderie, that's why I've stayed in this game for almost 30 yrs. In fact, I love this GAME, that's why I dedicated 20 yrs to working to help build this game and try to make it successful. This game will last as long as we make it last. Most folks that play this game want to have fun, and most do. We don't have professional or even full time referees in this game, we enforce the rules on ourselves. Some people get the timer and become over Zealous with their power and some get it and become flippant with their duties. That is one of the best reasons for everyone to know the rules, so that they can keep things on par. If the T.O. runs rampant in either direction then get him/her out of the position. This was, is, and shall continue to be a GAME. There is no money involved, and for the most part nobody remembers if you won the Nationals or not. Next shooter please. I'm done with this.

1 hour ago, Tennessee williams said:

Here lies the conundrum. When 2 different ROs not only interpret but enforce the rules differently, it makes for an uneven match.

Agreed.

But (and I've harped on this for years) I think the MUCH bigger issue is rule enforcement match-to-match.  

"Ehh... it's just a monthly.  Let it go."

That benefits no one.

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

It's "Counldn't care less".

:o:P

:ph34r:

Although people use "couldn't care less" and "could care less" to mean "someone doesn't care at all" I disagree with them. When I said someone "could care less" in THIS case, I meant that they could indeed care even less than what they would if the match were equalized.

Yeah, I just screwed up there but did you like the way I argued about it anyway?:D

IF there are going to be "discernments" and "accomodations" made outside the rules - there needs to be significant thought given to who is making these decisions AND their affect on other shooters and match integrity.

No one is saying - everything is black and white, written in stone or an immutable truth.

But there is a point where if a rule or rules are disregarded regularly - they lose all credence and application.

And I am so sick of hearing its just a game, no ones going home with the Cadillac or any other justification for disregarding the rules.

I dont care if individually you dont care - but your casual dismissal of the agreed upon rules is an insult to everyone who spent money, time and effort to attend (and by their doing so demonstrate at some level - they do care)

2 hours ago, Snakebite said:

This was, is, and shall continue to be a GAME. 

This goes to show the 3Cs or different shooter type hypothesis holds credence. To those who look at it primarily as a competition between those in their category it is a sport. To those who do not see the main objective as a competition, it is probably a game. This is not to say you can't get pleasure from playing a sport. That's not to say there isn't overlap. Different shooters will define it differently. Money and prizes don't really make something a sport though.

Screenshot_20211111-181359_Chrome.thumb.jpg.cb656ac0855f7b9c1c47ed90528697cf.jpg

2 hours ago, Snakebite said:

I'm done with this.

Well heck, what did I do? I thought I was nice and if we were arguing I didn't even know it.

3 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

This goes to show the 3Cs or different shooter type hypothesis holds credence. To those who look at it primarily as a competition between those in their category it is a sport. To those who do not see the main objective as a competition, it is probably a game. This is not to say you can't get pleasure from playing a sport. That's not to say there isn't overlap. Different shooters will define it differently. Money and prizes don't really make something a sport though.

Screenshot_20211111-181359_Chrome.thumb.jpg.cb656ac0855f7b9c1c47ed90528697cf.jpg

Well heck, what did I do? I thought I was nice and if we were arguing I didn't even know it.

I’m pretty sure it’s a sport that is also a game! Or maybe it’s a game that’s also a sport!  Whatever you call it, it’s the most fun you can have with your clothes on!!!:rolleyes:

Randy

2 minutes ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

I’m pretty sure it’s a sport that is also a game! Or maybe it’s a game that’s also a sport!  Whatever you call it, it’s the most fun you can have with your clothes on!!!:rolleyes:

Randy

Yes sir, I agree! It's a good thing we don't play nekkit! That brass gets hot! 

That sport definition hit it pretty much on the head for me. A sport is a game played....

14 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

Yes sir, I agree! It's a good thing we don't play nekkit! That brass gets hot! 

Well, you'd be able to answer the bellybutton question.

Just sayin.... 

On 11/10/2021 at 5:03 PM, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Well that's a load of crap!  Unless he's some weird freak of nature...which I doubt.

But I'm sure he shows the "Cowboy Way" in all other aspects of his SASS life...in my book, unless he proves that he's a true freak of nature, he's a cheater.

Cheers!

Phantom

Yes, it is a load of crap.  He’s not a stellar example of the “Cowboy Way”.  

Hugs!

Scarlett

Archived