SASS Wire Forum

45 Schofield with 165gr bullet?

Abilene, SASS # 27489

My smokeless 45 Colt round for pistol is a 200gr bullet with 4.6gr of Clays (Hodgdon's minimum).  I have been very happy with this load, easy on the wrists and brass doesn't get very sooty.  But at the Battle of Plum Creek yesterday I won 500 Bear Creek 165gr .45 bullets.  Too small for the 45 Colt I'm thinking.  No, I'm not going to go buy 45 Cowboy Specials, but I do load Schofields so thought I'd try those.  But I can find no load data for the 165gr bullet.  Black Hills makes (or made) 180gr Schofield ammo as well as 230gr, but the only loading data I can find is for 200gr and up.  Anybody used 165gr in Schofield?

I have put 160 grain bullets in scholfield and colt brass both with no problems. If you can’t find 45 colt 160 bullet reloading data use 44 S&W as they are about the same for these light loads we use in SASS

Thanks Pat.  For the 4 powders I have that Hodgdon lists for 45 Colt, their minimum loads for each with 160gr bullet are a little over 900 fps.  Same load in a Schofield would be a little higher pressure so faster.  160gr info for 44 Spcl use less powder and are mid-800's in velocity.  

160grn coated with 4.2 gr Titegroup in Schofield or 5.2 gr Titegroup in 45 Colt.  Worked for me for over 17 years with no changes for coated.

JM

I use the 160-165 grain in schofield with 4.5 of AS30 which I think is your clays..I use the same if using the older Hercules red dot..Chrono average is 650fps. Great to shoot but with the smaller bullet there is a fair bit of blow back even with a solid crimp.

I don't know when/where we'll meet up again but I'll be shooting my .45's for a change of pace (for a short while LOL) and have some 160 gr loaded with Clays. (I believe 4.1 -  will pull and weigh to verify.)  You are welcome to run some through your pistol to see how they feel if you like.

Send me a PM with contact and we'll figure out the timing.

28 minutes ago, Will Kane said:

Abilene, if you're coming to TRP this Saturday, I'll give you some 45 Cowboy Special brass for you to try with your bullets.

Will, thank you for the offer, but I have no intention of buying any of that brass nor do I want to screw around with my dies to try to load a few.  But yes, I do hope to make it down there this weekend, so seeya! 

Archived