SASS Wire Forum

So how heavy were those swords?

Most swords seem to hover around 1 Kg, 2-2.5 lbs.  That seems to be the best balance between effective

size and weight for striking.  Some of course are lighter, particularly point swords like the rapier, but then again

some of the two handed swords went heavy for impact.  My Viking era sword, my 17th century rapier, and my

1935 Wilkinson Artillery sabre all weight within 4 oz of each other.  All are real steel, not wall hangers. 

I'd still prefer to carry a firearm, but there is something to be said for not running out of ammo . . . .

<edit>  P.S. - it should be noted that a quality sword will cost similar to a quality firearm.

5 minutes ago, ShadowCatcher said:

I'd still prefer to carry a firearm, but there is something to be said for not running out of ammo . . . .

Of course ...

You can never have too much ammo unless you're swimming or on fire ... Easier to conceal too. 

Many years ago, we did Scottish RenFaire.
The clan leader saw action in Korea.
He told about being sent out, and knowing he would run out of ammo, he obtained double-head axes for his men.
He said they were hand to hand for several days.

51 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Hard to believe Mussolini was only 5' 6".

I was shocked ... Of course something like this "could" restore civility (that we seem to have lost these days) ...

from: http://www.onlyknives.com/most-incredible-sword-fights-in-history/3/

>> "Mussolini took offense at Ciccotti's anti-fascist newspaper editorials, and on October 27th, 1921, the two men fought an arduous 14-round bout which lasted one hour and fifteen minutes. Physicians examined Ciccotti's several wounds after the 14th round, and pronounced him unable to continue the fight due to loss of blood, but the two combatants at first agreed to continue the next day with pistols."

<<

You're bleeding out huh???!? OK .. no problem ... we will finish this tomorrow with pistols!! (wow ...). 

I once visited a shop that had a two-handed Claymore I couldn't pick up.  It was worn over-the-shoulder.  You drew it with both hands & let gravity do the rest.

An exhibitor at the Ohio Scottish Games was a genuine Highlander, and had several genuine Cleagh Mohr on hand for exhibit.

He invited me to swing one.

I was impressed by both the weight and the balance; my swing was awkward, as I am not used to such a weapon.

The Highlander explained their chief use was against mounted knights, to cut the legs out from under the horse: take out an armored knight's mobile platform and they could be broken apart on the ground and dagues thrust through gaps in the armor.

Or eye slits.

The Scots had curved blade weapons that worked like a can opener on a downed knight.

One of the demonstrations done for the public... culminated in all the Scots charging the crowd in full berzerker battle cry.
It is quite unnerving... even when you know it is coming.

I er no Katanas on that list! That’s Racist! :lol:

5 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Someone asked me what I would do if someone challenged me with a sword.

I replied, this...

When we first saw that scene back when it first came out that guy came out with the sword and I said "I'd shoot that guy" and Jones did exactly that.

This just occurred to me. They have that beautifully choreographed sword fight, with the two characters using their left hands. Using them dexterously.

Lou Gehrig was left-handed. Gary Cooper was not. To show Gary Cooper batting left-handed, they had him wear a uniform made backwards, filmed him batting right-handed, and then flipped the film for the movie.

So I wonder if they did the same thing for this left-handed fight scene? Filmed it normally, then flipped the negative.

2 minutes ago, Alpo said:

This just occurred to me. They have that beautifully choreographed sword fight, with the two characters using their left hands. Using them dexterously.

Lou Gehrig was left-handed. Gary Cooper was not. To show Gary Cooper batting left-handed, they had him wear a uniform made backwards, filmed him batting right-handed, and then flipped the film for the movie.

So I wonder if they did the same thing for this left-handed fight scene? Filmed it normally, then flipped the negative.

Cary Elwes and Mandy Patenken actually went through a lot of training with a sword master to make for a realistic fight scene. Some was done by stunt doubles, but mostly it was them, including the left/right hand switch. 

8 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

When we first saw that scene back when it first came out that guy came out with the sword and I said "I'd shoot that guy" and Jones did exactly that.

Originally it was scripted as a big sword fight. They trained for at least several days. On the day of shooting, Harrison Ford had gotten the flu, (I don't know if it was Covid), and didn't feel up to the swordplay. He told Spielberg, "If it were me, I'd just shoot the guy", so they did. 

9 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Funny, I said the same thing...and the same thing happened.;)

40 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Originally it was scripted as a big sword fight. They trained for at least several days. On the day of shooting, Harrison Ford had gotten the flu, (I don't know if it was Covid), and didn't feel up to the swordplay. He told Spielberg, "If it were me, I'd just shoot the guy", so they did. 

I saw an interview with Ford and he said he was just really hungover. :lol:

2 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

See, not all flu is bad. :P

One of my favorite sword fights, can you tell why? I heard that Catherine trained hours for this.

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

One of my favorite sword fights, can you tell why? I heard that Catherine trained hours for this.

Because you have a crush on Antonio Banderas?

6 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Because you have a crush on Antonio Banderas?

Not my type!

On 11/8/2021 at 5:32 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

A rousing good movie!

AB86D9B3-10C5-4000-BF5F-5A2AC6F1FCB3.jpeg

You got that right, Bob!  My favorite movie all, or at least tied for first with “Ride With the Devil”. 

Seamus

Pirates with their cutlasses won the early victories, but if the fight carried on, the lighter swords became more effective against the arm weary foes from what I understand.

Archived