SASS Wire Forum

Shooting GI Surplus "Cowboy" guns.

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

One of the local clubs in my neck of the woods is having a shoot this weekend with a Veteran's Day theme.

They encourage people to somehow incorporate something in their stuff that is in honor of veterans.    One year, I wore my Kepi hat, Cavalry belt and for pistols used a reproduction SAA set up to the same specs as a military one and a Walker.   I can't remember if I used my Henry or not.

Anyway, I think that THIS year, I will do something even more special.   For at least 1 stage, I think I'll take out my GI Spencer and use it for at least 1 stage, allowing this literal old veteran to speak loudly on Veteran's Day.  I also have an 1860 Colt made in 1861 that has been cartridge converted to .32 S&W Long.  Again, probably only for one stage.  It also has the look of having been converted to something else in the past.  (.44 Colt?)  I have not yet lettered the gun, so I don't know if it's GI, but I'd be willing to guess that it was.  I wish it could talk and tell its story!  The rest of the time I'll likely use a reproduction Schofield and a reproduction S&W American, but set up to military specifications.  (Except for caliber.)   

Okay, with all of that in mind...

There are several guns on the market that replicas of Army, and Navy, pistols from the era of our game.   There are also a couple of rifles.

How many folks own replica GI guns and enjoy shooting them from time to time.

An even more interesting question is how many of us own actual GI surplus firearms from the era and then use them from time to time.  And not just main match.   Remember, a Trapdoor Springfield is a GI gun, even if it's only good for side matches. 

While I do not own any guns from the era I do have several "non normal" cowboy guns I enjoy shooting. My military 1860 Henry, open tops, and soon my Schofield will see action. Always fun to break out these other irons.

I would love to shoot in such a match.  In the past I've shot with permission verbotten pistols at a SASS Match.  45LC 1909 Colts, 1917 Colts, Broomhandles, Webleys, Lugers, and Trench guns.  For LR stuff I've used Krags, Cavalry Sharps, Trapdoors, and 1895 Winchesters.  The local match did draw the line when I tried to use the BAR...mainly due to save the targets!

A BAR you say? :D Nice!!!!!

Our club director is heavy into military firearms and equipment.  Not unusual for Joe to show up with a BAR or auto Thompson and we shoot a few rounds at regular matches

Archived