SASS Wire Forum

Definition of "Commonly available"

9 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

The term "Commonly available" is mentioned four times in the manual - once as "Adjustable sight revolver REAR sights may be replaced with commonly available sights of the same size and type.", twice as "Must be in a caliber commonly available in revolvers.", and once as a definition in the Glossary of Terms as "Commonly available - obtainable by anyone given ordinary circumstances with ordinary means.", which leaves the terms "ordinary circumstances" and "ordinary means" up for debate. :lol:

Selling a kidney for a brick of SP Federal primers is pretty "ordinary" these days.

On 11/8/2021 at 7:46 AM, The Aggie Rifleman, SASS#55213 said:

Pards,

At my most recent match on Sunday I overheard peanut gallery remarks about the ammunition that I was using in my revolvers (9mm Luger out of Ruger NMV convertibles and 40 S&W out of a Ruger OMV 38-40/40S&W convertible).  Ruger for many, many moons has made/continues to make convertible revolvers in 38/357 Mag that come with an extra 9mm Luger cylinder.  They also have made/continue to make 45 Colt revolvers with 45 ACP cylinder.  Other manufacturers/importers have made/continue to make similar conversion cylinders for their wares

With regard to the revolver ammunition requirement in firearms covenants section of the shooters handbook, it states that:

- Must be centerfire calibers of at least .32 caliber and no larger than .45 caliber or percussion calibers of at least .36 caliber and no larger than .45 caliber.

- Must be in a caliber commonly available in revolvers.  Examples include, but are not limited to, .32-20, .32 Magnum, .357 Magnum, .38 Special, .44 Magnum, .44- 40, and .45 Colt.

What is the definition of "commonly available"? 

If the revolver is capable of shooting a cartridge (9mm Luger, 40 S&W, 45 ACP), and said cartridge meets the requirements (centerfire, caliber, power, & loaded to proper power requirements) what's the call?  

Revolvers have been/are being made and are available for sale/order (if anyone can find anything in this "out-of-stock"/shortage world) in a pleathora of cartridges.  One doesn't have to look terribly hard to find revolvers capable of shooting 32 ACP (Nagants), 380 ACP (Uberti 1862 police conversion [revolver may have SASS issues...not sure]), 9mm, 40 S&W, 10mm, 45ACP.  

If they were insinuating that you were "gaming" due to using shorter rounds for less recoil, then what the heck is a 45 Cowboy Special?

It shoots, it's safe, worry about yer own stuff.

On 11/10/2021 at 11:44 AM, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

If they were insinuating that you were "gaming" due to using shorter rounds for less recoil, then what the heck is a 45 Cowboy Special?

It shoots, it's safe, worry about yer own stuff.

Being the Peanut gallery they didn't elaborate on their insinuations.  All I heard was "those aren't legal, next match you can't use them".

It was my first match with this club.

There will be more to follow at next months match.  I'm planning my SASS-legal fun now.

4 minutes ago, The Aggie Rifleman, SASS#55213 said:

Being the Peanut gallery they didn't elaborate on their insinuations.  All I heard was "those aren't legal, next match you can't use them".

It was my first match with this club.

There will be more to follow at next months match.  I'm planning my SASS-legal fun now.

Welcome! Shoot straight, shoot safe and have fun. And don't listen to the "peanut gallery".

2 hours ago, The Aggie Rifleman, SASS#55213 said:

All I heard was "those aren't legal, next match you can't use them".

There's an easy solution - just ask them to show you the rule.

Big deal...

Phantom

Archived