SASS Wire Forum

Holster Qualification

Quiet Burp

Locally, one private, indoor range and an outdoor public range both require their own holster qualifications.  However, these qualifications are not required by governmental agencies.  The only qualifications issued by governmental agencies are for carrying handguns concealed.  In some US states these are not required either.

1 hour ago, Quiet Burp said:

Do you have to have a Holster Qualification (to use a holster) in the US for CAS like you do in Australia?

I did mine over the weekend and have it now.

With or without a gun. 

so what does this entail ? i find this as much government overreach as all the other laws but then i dont live in oz , i have taken a young lady from perth out to shoot and let her use my holsters as well as my guns , she seemed to catch on quite well , she had no issues with the rifle or the shotgun either save complainin about her shoulder later , nuthin that a beer cant fix 

Some of the Gun Clubs here in Canada require a holster qualification, however most of them accept a IPSC Black Badge or a SASS RO qualification. However it is not a government requirement at this point but they will probably require it if any bureaucrats think of it.

25 minutes ago, watab kid said:

so what does this entail ? i find this as much government overreach as all the other laws but then i dont live in oz , i have taken a young lady from perth out to shoot and let her use my holsters as well as my guns , she seemed to catch on quite well , she had no issues with the rifle or the shotgun either save complainin about her shoulder later , nuthin that a beer cant fix 

For me, I didn't have to do anything just give copies of my IPSC Holster Accreditation, Service Pistol Holster Accreditation and Range Officer Accreditation and I was pre-approved.

The holster course (and accreditation) its an insurance thing, from my knowledge nothing to do with the law or police etc.....just the shooting associations covering their arse insurance wise.

13 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Yes, here in Oz its a requirement.

Jim.jpg.6899b38a4ed8df5a1090c7d460a0a572.jpg

Just for the sake of my own curiosity.  What does "Holster Qualification" entail?  Is it a course?  Do you have to prove to them that you still have 10 toes?  A demonstration that you can draw, fire, and put it back without maiming anyone?

7 hours ago, McCandless said:

Just for the sake of my own curiosity.  What does "Holster Qualification" entail?  Is it a course?  Do you have to prove to them that you still have 10 toes?  A demonstration that you can draw, fire, and put it back without maiming anyone?

Here's a clipping of page one -

Capture.JPG.1866eb7d065b50fdb793f036c8e5d114.JPG

ok l, not much different than here as far as the rules go - but you could extract the loaded revolver at the loading table if someone requested to see you were on an empty cylinder i think - cant leave loading tale till you shoot stage , but if you wanted something from your cart i think it would be fine to lay them on the loading table to retrieve the item , just cant carry loaded on the cold range 

42 minutes ago, watab kid said:

ok l, not much different than here as far as the rules go - but you could extract the loaded revolver at the loading table if someone requested to see you were on an empty cylinder CHAMBER i think - cant leave loading tale till you shoot stage , but if you wanted something from your cart i think it would be fine to lay them on the loading table to retrieve the item , just cant carry loaded on the cold range 

If the cylinder is empty, the revolver wouldn't be loaded.

Competitors shall not leave the designated loading area with a loaded firearm unless they are proceeding to the stage as the next competitor to begin the stage.

SHB p.28

I’m just puzzling over the acronym “SSAA” for “Single Action Shooting Australia”!

Kidding aside, I admire the cowboy shooters in jurisdictions that place so many restrictions on the ownership and use of firearms used in our game. You have a high level of commitment.

3 hours ago, Abe E.S. Corpus SASS #87667 said:

I’m just puzzling over the acronym “SSAA” for “Single Action Shooting Australia”!

Kidding aside, I admire the cowboy shooters in jurisdictions that place so many restrictions on the ownership and use of firearms used in our game. You have a high level of commitment.

It's Sporting Shooters Association of Australia which is affiliated with SASS

The holster courses I have been on have been educational in knowing what's expected of you on the shooting line. As mentioned above it's just a safety requirement. 

All "action" pistol sports in Australia have a holster qualification requirement.  In some cases it is used as a general test of Rule familiarity as  well as a written and/or practical exercise of holster proficiency.    It is IMO rather more important in, say, IPSC than CAS...  for obvious reasons..:D

Archived