SASS Wire Forum

Please don't tell the kids...

1 hour ago, Trigger Mike said:

I wonder if crayons would be a good way to get wet wood to burn then.  If so they'd make something good to take camping 

There are more effective ways to light wet wood. Any of the wax/lint/cotton combos already mentioned are great. 

I’ve used alcohol hand sanitizer.  Put a few squirts on the wood and light it. 

A small tube of petroleum jelly works well. 

Leave crayons to the kids. 

Currently I have been keeping an altoid tin filled with oily gun patches used to clean a rifle and wooden matches as my emergency fire kit, was looking at making it better.  Some of my matches are the storm proof kind.   It also has some cotton balls in it.  

My favorite use for old crayons is to sort them into primary groups, melt them, and make colored smoke bombs, you can find this on youtube

On 11/8/2021 at 8:54 AM, DocWard said:

I keep cotton balls covered in petroleum jelly. Great fire starters, and other uses as well 

Use triple antibiotic instead of petroleum jelly. Same weight and affect but more uses.

17 minutes ago, Texas Joker said:

Use triple antibiotic instead of petroleum jelly. Same weight and affect but more uses.

Much more expensive. I prefer not to put antibiotics on chapped lips, or to protect lips from chapping. I've had reactions to Neosporin, so just use bacitracin. With all of that said, you might find this interesting:

https://www.verywellhealth.com/should-i-use-neosporin-on-my-cut-1298910

A study published in the Journal of the American Medical Associationcompared antibiotic ointment with plain white petroleum jelly (the medium in which the antibiotics are contained). There was no statistical difference between using petroleum jelly with antibiotic and without.

A study published in Emerging Infectious Diseases suggested that OTC topical antibiotics have contributed to the rise of Mmethicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infectionsand may reduce the efficacy of antibiotics, both topical and oral if a MRSA infection were to occur.7

I'll stick with petroleum jelly.

45 minutes ago, DocWard said:

Much more expensive. I prefer not to put antibiotics on chapped lips, or to protect lips from chapping. I've had reactions to Neosporin, so just use bacitracin. With all of that said, you might find this interesting:

https://www.verywellhealth.com/should-i-use-neosporin-on-my-cut-1298910

I'll stick with petroleum jelly.

Wow, Doc! You just gave me some info that explains a lot. Neosporin causes me what I now know is contact dermatitis, but the bit on neomycin really rang a bell. I was having bad reactions to Neomycin ear drops. I thought it might be the propylene glycol. Turns out it may also be the neomycin…or both. 
Thanks for that link. It explains a lot. :)

It's 80% petroleum jelly or so plus the stuff that makes it medicine. Dollar store sells tubes. 

For emergency fire starters I have some tea candles in my bag. 

Archived