SASS Wire Forum

Wanted A Capote for shooting in winter...

Lunger Dan

..but the damn things are very expensive-  $4-500 .   I have an outback duster with the wool insert, but that thing weighs a ton, feels very bulky and I have to take it off to shoot and get to my gunbelt..
Sooo...I bought a pattern pack for $9 and lucked out on finding an old Hudsons Bay 4 point Blanket with a ragged edge for $70 and made one..
Took numerous tries of sewing and re-sewing, but finally got it pretty much ok ...at least to where Im happy with it. Its kind of a bastardized "Long Hunter" designed Capote. All sewn by hand

My gun belt fits over it and its a hell of a lot more comfortable and less bulky than the Outback.....and a bit more period correct, because blanket coats were still being made into the 80's

PXL_20211107_155602981.jpg

PXL_20211107_155516004.jpg

PXL_20211107_155512429.jpg

PXL_20211107_155608978.jpg

PXL_20211107_155508745.jpg

Nice job!! 

That looks good.

I don't get to wear it often but I have a Navy pea-coat that I wear as needed.  Looked for a Bridge coat but had no luck at the time.

I'm pretty much covered (pun intended) for most any weather condition between by Outback oilskin duster, Navy pea-coat and Outback Pak-A-Roo duster.

21 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

That looks good.

I don't get to wear it often but I have a Navy pea-coat that I wear as needed.  Looked for a Bridge coat but had no luck at the time.

I'm pretty much covered (pun intended) for most any weather condition between by Outback oilskin duster, Navy pea-coat and Outback Pak-A-Roo duster.

@Chief Rick   You can order one through the Navy Exchange online. You'll have to create an account to verify your eligibility but they are available.

Nice work and super nice result! :D

I like the fringe on the sleeves and the hand sewn look.

Archived