SASS Wire Forum

Puzzle

By their definition...6. B)

Since the OP did not specify which type of triangle, my response which originally pertained to "isosceles triangles" defined as:

Snip-it_1636299436375.jpg.7745b713bc4b0561fc51700ef363cdaf.jpg

However, if merely a triangle as defined by:

Snip-it_1636298924113.jpg.caacbc3dc8badaf6afda95a2b8cee53d.jpg

Then the answer would be 24. ;)

Would someone please redraw the figure, and number all of the triangles?

I see a total of 9 three-sided figures. All the other shapes in that picture have four sides.

16 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Would someone please redraw the figure, and number all of the triangles?

I see a total of 9 three-sided figures. All the other shapes in that picture have four sides.

You are missing the combinations.  If you look at the 6 triangles on the left side, they make a triangle, as do the 6 on the right side and the 3 up the middle etc. 

I just recounted and came up with 15. Problem is every time I count the damn thing I come up with a different number.

Never have made it to 18.

On this count I got 19.:wacko:

Trying again. Got 18. Found out the reason I got 19 last time was I counted three of them twice, and missed two. I think I have found them all. I think.

Regardless, I am not going to count them again. :P

Took forever to get those last two, but 18.

Well, I was a bit off in my estimation. :D

I used to have a math teacher that would add questions like this to the ends of quizzes and tests for extra credit. I was at about 50% at getting them correct until he started taking points away if you missed the question. At that point I just wouldn’t answer them. 

After the third or fourth time he called me out while we were reviewing our tests. He asked me why I stopped trying. I explained the 50% situation and said something like “The questions are extra credit, but you take away points for incorrect answers. My scores aren’t all that great so if I don’t answer it I don’t get dinged if my answer is incorrect. Statistically, if I get 50% one way or the other then it should be a wash but then it may not be, so rather than possibly affect my already mediocre score I will pass on answering them.” 

I got an “A” that day for using statistics in my reasoning. 

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Well, I was a bit off in my estimation. :D

I used to have a math teacher that would add questions like this to the ends of quizzes and tests for extra credit. I was at about 50% at getting them correct until he started taking points away if you missed the question. At that point I just wouldn’t answer them. 

After the third or fourth time he called me out while we were reviewing our tests. He asked me why I stopped trying. I explained the 50% situation and said something like “The questions are extra credit, but you take away points for incorrect answers. My scores aren’t all that great so if I don’t answer it I don’t get dinged if my answer is incorrect. Statistically, if I get 50% one way or the other then it should be a wash but then it may not be, so rather than possibly affect my already mediocre score I will pass on answering them.” 

I got an “A” that day for using statistics in my reasoning. 

Sounds like a miss on a bonus target that adds time to your score

I submit there are 108 triangles in this diagram. There are the 18 3-sided shapes which most have correctly found. But to a geometrist or mathematician, triangles are defined and identified by their vertices. 

Take the diagram below. The primary outside vertices are labeled A, B, and C. The visually obvious triangle is named ABC. 

However, there are five more triangles in that same 3-sided shape:  BCA, CAB, ACB, CBA, and BAC. 

The same six triangles can be found in the other (17) 3-sided shapes. 

And that, Saloon friends, is why I went engineering and not mathematics. 

C4033E0C-C45A-419B-83E6-2136BA545B8A.jpeg

2 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I submit there are 108 triangles in this diagram. There are the 18 3-sided shapes which most have correctly found. But to a geometrist or mathematician, triangles are defined and identified by their vertices. 

Take the diagram below. The primary outside vertices are labeled A, B, and C. The visually obvious triangle is named ABC. 

However, there are five more triangles in that same 3-sided shape:  BCA, CAB, ACB, CBA, and BAC. 

It doesn't matter if you call each one by 3 different names, they're still all just one triangle each. On the other hand, I'm not a math major so I'm just going by what's real. For the people who counted 18, I have a feeling you forgot to include the one big triangle. The only thing I'm worried about is we might all be wrong if this is just one side of a pyramid.

5 minutes ago, Chicken Rustler, SASS #26680 said:

It doesn't matter if you call each one by 3 different names, they're still all just one triangle each. On the other hand, I'm not a math major so I'm just going by what's real. For the people who counted 18, I have a feeling you forgot to include the one big triangle. The only thing I'm worried about is we might all be wrong if this is just one side of a pyramid.

Yup, that's how I got to 19. 

13 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Incorrect. To a mathematician, the triangle ABC is the same as the triangles, BCA, CBA, ACB, , CBA, …

ABC…Abacab….Abracadabra!

In looking at the above I went from Mrs. Pochran’s First Grade singing the ABC song to the song “Abacab” by Genesis to the song “Abacadabra” by The Steve Miller Band and I realized it’s too darn early for this…

https://www.songfacts.com/facts/genesis/abacab

Archived