SASS Wire Forum

Dillon XL650 Roller Mod

Buckshot Bear

Dillon is making their ring indexers from a much less resilient material than they used in the past.  Now, they appear to be cheaply squirted out of a 3-D printer using a more brittle plastic  material.   I've broken several over the past couple years.  The roller mod has, I believe, extended their working life considerably.  (Actually, I haven't broken a ring indexer since I installed my roller). 

Getting through to Dillon service techs on the phone isn't what it used to be either, and neither is their response time for many parts.  So anything we can do to extend parts lifespan is worthwhile.  I strongly recommend roller mods on both the ring indexer and the shell positioning cam.   Keep them both well oiled. 

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Does the Dillon XL650 Roller Mod make a big difference? 

What did you notice?

No .

Not a thing.

1 hour ago, Matthew Duncan said:

No .

Not a thing.

Except maybe not having to lube it .......

After buying the pieces individually for my first 650 I bought the "Snowshooz" mod kits on ebay for my other 2, and I think they really smooth the machine out and perform valuable functions.  The case feed shutoff and the primer shutoff work great.  The main thing the roller bearings do is take the "jump" out of the machine so it doesn't jar the case and spill powder when it indexes.  I also add the missed primer catch that has the little bottles that catch the primers.  I am also very picky about keeping my machine very clean and lightly greased. 

11 hours ago, Yusta B. said:

Except maybe not having to lube it .......

Got to keep the bearing on the mod lubed. 

10 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Got to keep the bearing on the mod lubed. 

Manufacturer lists it having a sealed bearing.

I put the Unique Tek roller mod ("ultimate bearing kit") on my xl 750 and if it's the same thing on the 650, it reduces shake of the shell plate as it indexes and the consequential spillage of powder. It cut down the loose powder on my shell plate by about 80%.   

I also got the primer feed tube brass ends (replaces the plastic Dillon ends) and they have been flawless.  

2 minutes ago, Ripsaw said:

I put the Unique Tek roller mod ("ultimate bearing kit") on my xl 750 and if it's the same thing on the 650, it reduces shake of the shell plate as it indexes and the consequential spillage of powder. It cut down the loose powder on my shell plate by about 80%.   

I also got the primer feed tube brass ends (replaces the plastic Dillon ends) and they have been flawless.  

I'd like to get those brass ends, my yellow ones won't hold back more than 30-40 primers now they are so worn.

7 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

I'd like to get those brass ends, my yellow ones won't hold back more than 30-40 primers now they are so worn.

Dillon will replace those for free.  Last time I ordered some they sent me all new tubes.

8 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Are you referring to the primer pick up tubes?  those are easily replaceable. I was referring to the red (or is it blue?) ends on the primer feed tube in the press.  That's where the brass ends fit.  I got one each for the small and large primer feed tubes. 

19 hours ago, Yusta B. said:

Manufacturer lists it having a sealed bearing.

Sealed bearings last until they dry out and seize.

8 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

And a primer stop switch

1061717374_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.5e4ed76c51ea7867cb7c278d6144c08f.jpg

That's a great Lil addition. 

Just remember to have it in the "on" position when you start your reloading session. 

Just sayin.

40 minutes ago, Hendo said:

That's a great Lil addition. 

Just remember to have it in the "on" position when you start your reloading session. 

Just sayin.

Well ain't y'all feeling the primer seat on the end of the up stroke anyway?

19 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Sealed bearings last until they dry out and seize.

I'll be dead by then & won't care ... ;):D

59 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

That plastic case ejector is so much better than the pesky wire.

Is it? I thought the wire thing works pretty good. What's the plastic one do differently? 

26 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Is it? I thought the wire thing works pretty good. What's the plastic one do differently? 

I got hangups now and again with the wire + it has the tendency to pop out ever since I put the needle bearing on as it decreased how much of the wire went into the hole. Before I could only have one washer out of the needle bearing kit installed, now I can have both washers.

3 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

I got hangups now and again with the wire + it has the tendency to pop out ever since I put the needle bearing on as it decreased how much of the wire went into the hole. Before I could only have one washer out of the needle bearing kit installed, now I can have both washers.

Ah, gotcha. I went the bronze sintered bushing route on mine. The spring drops right over it.

1 minute ago, Hendo said:

Ah, gotcha. I went the bronze sintered bushing route on mine. The spring drops right over it.

I still get powder spillage loading 9mm, over the years I've got very adept  and quick at placing two fingers over the two cases that have powder in them before advancing them.

Archived