SASS Wire Forum

Cheerleaders

So I just watched the Army - Air Force game.  Actually, a darned good bout; Army won in overtime.

Anyway, as the excitement mounted toward the end of the game, it occurred to me that, just like with any other colleges, both teams had cheerleaders.  Which gave rise to the wondering, are service academy cheerleaders professionals?  Borrowed from other schools?  Or can they they actually be cadets??

So I looked it up - they ARE cadets!  I had never ever considered such a possibility.  :lol:

Pretty cool, imagining them as future officers, engineers, pilots, even combat leaders....   :FlagAm:

Around the Yard: Army Rabble Rousers head to Nationals and other stories -  Against All Enemies

Cheerleaders showcase their Air Force spirit during the Academy’s win against Idaho State Sept. 1, 2012. Academy cheerleaders practice two hours every day to develop chants, stunts and routines for every football and basketball game. (U.S. Air Force photo/Liz Copan)

Dec. 11, 2010 - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States of America - 11  December 2010: Navy Midshipmen Cheerleaders in action at the 111th Meeting  of the United States Military Academy and The United

May be an image of 2 people

And back before they allowed girls in the service academies, the cheerleaders were guys.

Rah rah rah. Sissy boom bah! :blush:

And before anybody jumps down my throat oh, that was a joke.

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

And back before they allowed girls in the service academies, the cheerleaders were guys.

Rah rah rah. Sissy boom bah! :blush:

And before anybody jumps down my throat oh, that was a joke.

Rabble Rousers  :rolleyes:

During Branch Week at West Point, the Rabble Rousers received a visit from Maj. Gen. Mark Toy, commanding general for the Great Lakes and Ohio River Division. Toy was one of the first male Rabble Rousers in 1986, and now 31 years into his own military career, he said he is still reaping the benefits of his two years on the team.

"Little did I know that back in the days as a cadet, things I was doing trying to get the Corps to be enthusiastic about their team would be some of the things I would need to do as a leader in the Army," Toy said. "You are a constant cheerleader trying to encourage your Soldiers to do well, find their passion and execute the mission. It was a good hand-in-hand readiness training for Army life."

watched that game - i agree , well played , i noticed the cheerleaders [i always do - im not dead] did not even cross my mind that they might "borrow" them , i think the military is in great shape 

I was at the game with a large contingent of ‘87 classmates. Great game with a well earned Army victory. Sing Second!

Yes, service academy cheerleaders are all cadets and midshipman. Physical appearance, athletic toughness, moral character, and leadership are not mutually exclusive traits. I’d say they are quite complementary of each other. 

Archived