SASS Wire Forum

Ruger built Marlin Rifles

Rooster Ron Wayne

I just come across this info and thought some of you might be interested.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next month, if all goes as planned, we should see what Ruger has to offer, in their first release of the "Marlin".

I am thinking the first batch won't be one/style/model I would buy, so the waiting, for me, will continue. 

But at least the one coming out in December will reveal a few things, about what we can expect, on down the line.

Such as:

Any aluminum used?

Wood to metal fit? 

What will be machined, and what will be the injection molding?

A cross-bolt safety, or a safety on the tang? Or....just a half-cock safety? No...that would displease the lawyers. 

Two-piece firing pin, or one piece?

What type of wood? Any choice of wood? 

Any stupid warning on the barrel? Rookies don't heed it, and veterans don't need it. 

What internal/external changes, if any, from the older J.M. Marlins?

For some of us, the recent experiences with the Remington Marlin are not easily forgotten, and there is a concern there. While Ruger isn't Remington, still...we wonder, and hope for the best. 

Time will reveal. 

"Any stupid warning on the barrel? Rookies don't heed it, and veterans don't need it.  "

Great quote.

But Lawyers LOVE it!  - Something essentially meaningless but encourages lawsuits - follow the $$$

On 11/6/2021 at 8:52 AM, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

I just come across this info and thought some of you might be interested.

From the podcast the only process that will be different than Remington mfg'd Marlins will be the barrels.  Ruglin barrels will be made on Ruger's existing barrel lines.  Therefore they will be hammer forged.  Also the 1st production will be the 1895 in 45-70.  Sounds like they will then offer chamberings in 444 & 30-30 latter.  1894 & 336 will follow & rimfires last.

im good calling them marlins since thats the name they bought , much like all the others that have sold in my lifetime , i will reserve my purchase power till i see how they do , oddly enough it was my order for an 1895 4570 marlin that got cancelled when remington messed them up that made me think like stosign32v , ill spend my money wisely till we see how this goes 

8 hours ago, watab kid said:

im good calling them marlins since thats the name they bought , much like all the others that have sold in my lifetime , i will reserve my purchase power till i see how they do , oddly enough it was my order for an 1895 4570 marlin that got cancelled when remington messed them up that made me think like stosign32v , ill spend my money wisely till we see how this goes 

I'm not aware of there being an issue with the 1895 line...

10 hours ago, watab kid said:

While I generally only buy JM guns and love the quality I've experienced from them my "post" Marlin 1895 GBL is outstandingly well built. Fit and finish is nice, action is smooth, and overall a very accurate rifle. I wouldn't hesitate considering another 1895 in 45-70.

I have been a Ruger guy my whole life .

We don't see much come out from Ruger that is not top notch from the word go .

I'm betting Ruger put out a  product as good or better  seen sence the beginning of JM  Marlin .

So Saith The Rooster

I've named my 97's 'Enchantress'.    I have Enchantress #1, #2, and so forth.

I was hoping to name any new Marlin..... "Phantom".    Sure hope I didn't put a curse on em.

:lol:

..........Widder

7 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I've named my 97's 'Enchantress'.    I have Enchantress #1, #2, and so forth.

I was hoping to name any new Marlin..... "Phantom".    Sure hope I didn't put a curse on em.

:lol:

..........Widder

You do that and the rifle will give you nothing but grief.

15 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I'm not aware of there being an issue with the 1895 line...

well - back when remington took over the new items were having issues and i had an order for one that i was told would never be filled [there is a bit more to that story but its not necessary to this comment] the ordered "would not be filled" so i bought a sharps and have been happy ever since 

34 minutes ago, watab kid said:

well - back when remington took over the new items were having issues and i had an order for one that i was told would never be filled [there is a bit more to that story but its not necessary to this comment] the ordered "would not be filled" so i bought a sharps and have been happy ever since 

Doesn't sound like an issue with the 1895 line so far as quality goes...perhaps an issue with your particular model/order.

Phantom

Anybody know when or how to order?  Will there be  pre-order?  How will the serial numbers start?  Might be nice to have a top ten.

On 11/7/2021 at 6:50 PM, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

I was thinking of calling them Bob or Carol or Ted or Alice

"Or you can call me Ray,

Or you can call me Jay,

Or you can call me R.J,

. . . . . . . . .

But you doesn't have to call me Johnson."

A little update on some Marlin info.

2 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

What an interesting analogy...

You're comparing a company (Braztech) that basically copied a design with a company that purchased the rights and most often the tooling of another company...fascinating.

So you seem well educated. Tell me a gun making company that has never been sold in it's entire existence.

Phantom

PS: There are a few.

Beretta to name one. Will be interesting to see how many more this group comes up with. Neat history lesson. 

JJ

I’m extremely hopeful. Ruger has their ducks in a row. Remington was a dumpster fire when they took over Marlin. Not the case with Ruger. Was Bill Ruger the John Browning of the day? No probably not. But he was a huge innovator in how firearms are manufactured in modern times and I believe the company has continued on that path. Give them a chance. 

5 hours ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

I’m extremely hopeful. Ruger has their ducks in a row. Remington was a dumpster fire when they took over Marlin. Not the case with Ruger. Was Bill Ruger the John Browning of the day? No probably not. But he was a huge innovator in how firearms are manufactured in modern times and I believe the company has continued on that path. Give them a chance. 

Bill Ruger was definitely One of the greatest gun innovators of his day . 

Unfortunately this is no longer a Ruger family owned or run company.

But ! They have continued to grow and make innovations in the industry.

Marlin will continue and strive under the Ruger umbrella.

If you listen to the video it says that Ruger will not be using investment castings on the Marlin receivers and no microgroove rifling.

1 hour ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

I wonder if we are looking at $1000+ rifles?

Howdy RNMKR.

Just a guess, but I bet their MSRP will be sub 1K, but dealers might try to squeeze as much as they can out of the 1st buyers.

A probable item that could inflate the price will be that first issue of 1895's.   Those are a sought out rifle.

If the quality is what WE are hoping for, then pricing will be felt in our pockets.   But if quality don't pan out very well,

then pricing won't matter.    Rumors will flow fast..... and those rumors will dictate a lot of decisions for US buyers.

Hope you are doing well.   Save your money, buy one, and then let us know how it is..... ;)

..........Widder

Archived