SASS Wire Forum

Shortening 1873 rifle stock?

Tarheel Doc

Shortened several for shooters with smaller stature and short arms.   Mine are at original length, since I'm 6 foot and have 34 inch sleeves.   It does make a difference for "our pards in the shadows."  :lol:

Shorten until the gripping thumb of your master hand lies about 2" in front of your nose as you shoulder the gun, is a standard recommendation.

good luck, GJ

I shortened mine (5' 10") but more to remove the detested crescent on the end than anything else.

But yes, (imo) a rifle with a shotgun style straight butt and properly fitted will be faster for our game.

Not that I want to cut off my stock.   I put a spacer in to remove the crescent.   Can you just square off the points of the crescent or should you calculate off of the barrel to get the right pitch?     GW

We shortened my wife's rifle just after we got it. We cut it LOP to fit her with 0 pitch. We also cut her shotgun to fit her LOP. We debated on doing slightly up pitch on the shotgun to get the barrel down, as that is where we do most of out shooting, but she much preferred 0 pitch. 

It is true that having a properly fitting gun may improve your shooting times.  In my wife's instance, huge time improvements were made in just her mounting of the gun.

Then, additional improvements were made as the LOP now fit her and she was not struggling to keep her head down on the stock as she levered the rifle.

I'm 5'4" I have three 73 one with a crescent moon. I cut the first one off to fit me. I swich the cut stock between the 38/357 carbine and the 45 sporting rifle. Just couldn't make myself cut the crescent moon. Does it help I can't tell much difference between the carbine cut stock and non cut stock.

I, too, like the crescent butt however I have cut several including those for Sassy.  If I can do the job, it can not be to hard.  Miter saw is a key to doing a good job.  I just cut along line drawn that removes each point.  Amount greater than that would be up to LOP desired.  Draw your line and cut.   I suggest tapping before making cut to eliminate splintering.  Pad of rubber or leather can then be  installed to desired length and/or butt cover added.

Archived